The thing is too that those types of players barely exist in the NHl anymore. These people are not aware of that.There are generations of Leaf fans who are convinced that the right way to play hockey is physical, grinding hockey. It's a city that puts the Clark's, Domi's, and Tucker's above the Sundin's, Mogilny's, and Kaberle's.
It's tough to be told that almost everything you believed about the game for decades was at best, incomplete, or at worst, flat out wrong.
Why does Soco not get credit for Reilly-Holl matchup? Been saying for a while wanted to see itNew Pairs (Even Strength)
Rielly: 14gms, 20:57, +5.1zdiff, 53.8cf%, 53.3xgf%
Barrie: 14gms, 18:01, +5.9zdiff, 52.6cf%, 50.9xgf%
Holl: 14gms, 18:06, -4.5zdiff, 54.1cf%, 54.9xgf%
Muzzin: 10gms, 19:04, -4.9zdiff, 53.4cf%, 49.8xgf%
Marincin: 4gms, 15:53, -3.7zdiff, 60.6cf%, 58.4xgf%
Ceci: 14gms, 16:31, +2.8zdiff, 52.6cf%, 57.9xgf%
Dermott: 14gms, 14:16, +2.4zdiff, 53.6cf%, 60.8xgf%
1. Rielly is a bit of a beast. Didnt realize he was getting so much more ice than Barrie still. That mostly comes with Ceci. But now that he's taking the heavy D matchup shifts, his numbers have startend to come up very nicely.
2. Barrie has been good in the new role, but not great. Given his offense, that mediocre possession is probably good enough.
3. Holl may just be a monster. He's getting the toughest minutes, yet putting up the best numbers. Those numbers are honestly a bit nuts.
4. Muzzin was good in this new top matchup role, but not great. Interesting.
5. Ceci has fit in very nicely in his new role. 3rd pair usage with a bit of extra duty. Complete waste of money still, but in terms of quality for role, he's turned this slot into a plus now.
6. Dermott seems to be slowly rounding back into form. Bit by bit getting his aggressiveness back with and without the puck, and finally starting to dominate soft competition again. Great to see.
7. Marincin has been flat out excellent since coming back in, in legit tough matchup minutes. Well enough that it might be tough to take him out again.
Looking at these numbers, there's a decent argument to be made (and iirc @BeLeafer already made it), that Rielly-Holl should be paired up and used in the tough matchup role. And remake the Muzzin-Barrie pair that had success in secondary usage to start the season.
And now we might have a logjam for the bottom pair, not just with these 3 but obviously with Sandin and Liljegren.