• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much of this is intended to be behind the scenes? How much is because people keep asking?

these leagues are all businesses and they do need to look at what options they have. We can’t on one hand expect them to continue to pay employees with no revenue coming in and not look at options to change that and get money flowing in.

It’s not insensitive to be looking at how to get things going as quickly as possible in these times. This extreme lockdown situation has a very limited shelf life before it becomes untenable. The essentials for living on our society rely on a functioning economy. That’s not to underestimate the seriousness of this virus or the sadness. If you go back to the early 1800s if you were a farmer and cholera went through and killed 2 or 3 people in your family you didn’t have the option to sit in your house and wait it out or you would starve. Our current situation buys us some time compared to that but there’s a limit. We can’t remain in lockdown until next spring.
You can’t optimize the solution on either COVID19 mitigation OR the economy because either route leads to massive suffering and death. So we have to find ways to do both
This is probably a personal problem, but I have zero idea why we "need" sports organizations to have some sort of handle on a situation that's constantly changing and evolving simply to make ourselves feel better. Our governments, yes ... our professional sports leagues? I mean, fine but also ... whatever.

Maybe we all need to better appreciate the role of sports and other entertainments in our lives. Those things are secondary, at best, when there is stress on the public health and welfare on this kind of global scale. Maybe the NHL and the other leagues could be sensitive to that fact and simple issue a statement that says something like ... "we'll have an appropriate plan at an appropriate time, which is not now."

...Maybe the NHL and the other leagues could be sensitive to that fact and simple issue a statement that says something like ... "we'll have an appropriate plan at an appropriate time, which is not now."

They *could*, and *should*.... but, they like money.

Why not find some remote spot in the Australian Outback? We can either force the Aboriginal natives to relocate or just let them get infected with COVID-19 and die. There has to be a spot in Greenland or Canada where no one lives. Build a rink there for the NHL.

I really want my sports back. I do. And I HOPE all of the leagues and a whole lot of people much smarter than I come up with workable solutions that don't put anyone needlessly in danger. We of course at need to get some semblance of normal back at some point. That is likely going to need to occur before anyone can really declare us 100% safe. But to me all of these suggestions that we have the leagues descend on some 'safer' location like a plague of locusts so they can play games seem really inconsiderate to the safety of these locations. I would be beside myself in anger if I lived somewhere in the world where COVID-19 hasn't been much of a concern and someone proposed dropping an entire sports league with people from everywhere else in my backyard. Yeah the risk might be lower in a month or 2. Yeah they will have all of these steps to try to isolate the players, staff, media, networks. But you can't tell me that you aren't increasing the risk of infection for these 'safe' locations with these proposals. And that thought, to me, makes these proposals completely out of bounds.

But hey, if the locals are ok with these proposals and the experts all say we are not creating undo risk, and there is a lot of money to be made by these locations, then what do I know? My kids are so bored they are spontaneously cleaning the house now when not doing schoolwork. The sooner we get to some level of normal the better.

all major league players should be able to lose a season of pay with no issue at all paying bills like mortgage, power, food ,etc (unless they are dumb and blow all their money which does happen in a few cases) That's the reason why I think they are not too upset by a lockout or strike and why they go on so long in some cases.

Plenty of remote spots in the US. Alaska is about 99% empty for example. SE Utah was one of the last US places to get fully mapped since there was almost nobody there.

This is probably a personal problem, but I have zero idea why we "need" sports organizations to have some sort of handle on a situation that's constantly changing and evolving simply to make ourselves feel better. Our governments, yes ... our professional sports leagues? I mean, fine but also ... whatever.

Maybe we all need to better appreciate the role of sports and other entertainments in our lives. Those things are secondary, at best, when there is stress on the public health and welfare on this kind of global scale. Maybe the NHL and the other leagues could be sensitive to that fact and simple issue a statement that says something like ... "we'll have an appropriate plan at an appropriate time, which is not now."

Couldn't agree more with this.

And personally, I actually do think it's insensitive to have personnel at hospitals begging for more reagents for testing and to be talking *right now* about testing 750+ presumably asymptomatic players, staff, managers so they can play baseball.

And personally, I actually do think it's insensitive to have personnel at hospitals begging for more reagents for testing and to be talking *right now* about testing 750+ presumably asymptomatic players, staff, managers so they can play baseball.

This part of the logistics is particularly offensive to me as well. It's flatly ridiculous to even suggest that limited resources of ANY kind be diverted from legitimate and immediate public health use simply so some guys can play games.

Especially when pro athletes are all in the top 1% of income in the US.
I mean, honestly ... I don't give a crap about that. Like at all. They are employed in an industry that couldn't be less essential in a public health crisis. That's ALL that matters for now.

don't think movies and TV shows are filming/taping now so actors and crew are in the same boat. The writers I would guess are still writing at home.

UFC using a private island for fights with no crowd but they have not said what island. Also looking at a US site they are also not saying where it is.

Richard Branson owns a caribbean island but I don't think he would let them use it. There are other private islands in that area.

This health crisis is clearly not ALL that matters, and it’s not insensitive for the leagues or any other businesses to be looking to their best interests. People work to make money to buy food and other essentials. So their jobs tend to be essential to them. The economy is vitally important to millions of lives. It’s life or death just as much or more than this virus.

That is not saying that COVID isn’t a critical problem because it is. My point is it is absolutely not an either/or situation it needs to be both.

Businesses are looking at options. The only difference between sports leagues and other businesses is that there’s a host of reporters with nothing sports related to report and fans that read this reports. That doesn’t make it insensitive to those who are suffering and dying.

ESPN doing almost all of their coverage on the NFL which is pretty much what they do even when other leagues are playing. They are just catering to what fans want.

They almost never cover the NHL except for rare events like the finals or the Ayres story.

This health crisis is clearly not ALL that matters, and it’s not insensitive for the leagues or any other businesses to be looking to their best interests. People work to make money to buy food and other essentials. So their jobs tend to be essential to them. The economy is vitally important to millions of lives. It’s life or death just as much or more than this virus.
In the context of the narrow point I was making, it does ... at least to me. Sports just isn't a big enough sector of the economy to argue that it is a life and death matter to temporarily suspend operations.

They are going to play the "we need to cheer people up" card.

After 1000 people died in Katrina they made sure the Superdome was ready for the NFL the following season while many other places were still badly damaged or just blown away. God Forbid they have to play 2 seasons in San Antonio!

And we DO need to cheer people up. As soon as it's safe to do so without putting those same people at risk. This is not some hurricane that comes, goes and gets cleaned up.

Oklahoma St. football coach Mike Gundy wants players back on May 1. He says the players are young enough and healthy enough to fight the virus off; after all they deal with players having the flu every year. The Big 12 has set May 31 as the earliest date for in person workouts and meetings while the Commissioner said they’re monitoring the pandemic to determine if the season will even be played.

And Pat Forde roasts him.

Gundy is being calloused and stupid, no way around that. Problem being, a LOT of people in sports are pretty much idiot savants. They know the living crap out of their own sport or their own niche in that sport, but are otherwise clueless about how life actually works. The press who cover sports are their own brand of myopic, self interested trolls and they don't help matters much by insisting that these public sports figures must comment on topics where they have no expertise and where their point of view is simply not helpful. I don't really care what my state's Governor thinks about what offense Oklahoma State should run, and I care even less about what the football coach at Oklahoma State thinks about public health policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back