• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
German soccer playing without fans
The echo effect on the broadcast, from the sounds coming from the pitch bouncing around that empty stadium, is really strange. Reminds me of trying to hear the stadium PA announcer in the top couple rows, heck pretty much anywhere, in the Pontiac Silverdome back in the day.... that barn had THE worst sound system.

The echo effect on the broadcast, from the sounds coming from the pitch bouncing around that empty stadium, is really strange. Reminds me of trying to hear the stadium PA announcer in the top couple rows, heck pretty much anywhere, in the Pontiac Silverdome back in the day.... that barn had THE worst sound system.

I’m watching the Frankfurt/Gladbach match. It has the vibe of a closed door friendly.

The second half of Koln-Mainz was quite entertaining. It's good to have it back. Given the lack of TV competition to this point, I imagine fans of clubs all over Europe are identifying Bundesliga players that they have to get in their team in the transfer window.

The second half of Koln-Mainz was quite entertaining. It's good to have it back. Given the lack of TV competition to this point, I imagine fans of clubs all over Europe are identifying Bundesliga players that they have to get in their team in the transfer window.

8 whole shots on goal!! and 4 went in. Was Tripp Tracy one of the goalies? :)

premier league will start training

NHL might take over a resort in Vegas , I assume that means nobody else will be able to stay there. Closest to the arena are MGM grand and Excalibur.

Last edited:
ECU cutting sports to balance their budget.

Here are 2 reasons why:

One key factor in the deficit: the poor performance of the football team and its impact on ticket sales. Season tickets declined from 19,050 in 2016 to 12,908 in 2018 and 14,063 in 2019. East Carolina has not made a bowl game since the 2014 season.

Simultaneously, Pirate Club giving declined from $13.7 million in 2015 to less than $9 million in 2016, 2017 and 2018 and $10.8 million in 2019 — a net loss of $18.6 million over four years. The new suite tower at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, originally projected to generate $42.7 million in revenue over 30 years, is now expected to produce a $6 million deficit over that period of time.

We’re going to hear more of this from schools in non-Power 5 conferences.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article242816081.html#storylink=cpy

Cambridge says online only classes until summer 2021. I would think Oxford and other UK universities would follow their lead.

NCAA allowing voluntary workouts for football, men’s and women’s basketball starting June 1st.

Last edited:
Bars won't be happy because they still cannot open same for gym. Restaurants , salons, can open Friday
Putting an extra 5 week kabosh on things like the gyms and movie theaters and bowling alleys is like rubbing salt in the wound for those business owners that get to see restaurants and hair salons open tomorrow.

Iran starting easing restrictions in mid to late April, per press reports that I have found. They are two weeks into a second wave, per worldometers data. Whatever you think of the reliability of their reporting, it looks like 3-4 weeks into easing before you might see effects. (Austria seems to have shown a bump in the same time frame, but much less pronounced, for example).

Don't stop washing your hands.

1590072517932.png

well those fat , old , bald alums have to have FB!!! I'm old but not fat or bald. :)

They are also cutting out fall break which is 2 days to end the semester before Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, the theory behind the adjusted Fall semester for State and UNC is to eliminate breaks where students typically leave campus and return. No Fall break, no Thanksgiving break. Classes start August 10th and then its a sprint to wrap up before Thanksgiving with no time off save for Labor Day. My daughter won't know how different that is as she is starting her first semester this way. It will be different for sure for anyone who is not an incoming freshman.

Everything for incoming freshman will be done online this summer, including orientation, which is another big change. My daughter might not officially set foot on the NC State campus again until move in day, which is somewhat unnerving for incoming freshman. Fortunately we live close enough that we can get over there and walk around on our own schedule once she starts to get some specifics about classes and buildings.

Of course they can't prevent students from going home or other places on weekends. My last semester I only had classes on Tue and Thurs. so I had 4 day weekends and Wed off. That made up for a really bad schedule first semester. I got stuck in Chem lab 3 PM on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back