• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't able to get my dog an appointment at the groomer's until June 3rd. He currently looks like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

Looks like MLB and union are not close to agreeing on pay. Maybe NHL won't be only league to miss a whole season.

This is just a preview of 18 months from now. The Basic Agreement expires at 11:59 PM on December 1, 2021. Wanna bet that 30 seconds later, MLB imposes a lockout? The Owners’ original proposal after backing out of the March agreement was a 50-50 revenue split. The PA rightly saw that as a precursor to a salary cap. Those negotiations are going to be ugly.

Baseball is headed down a slippery slope with that salary structure currently in place...this pandemic will be crushing for the owners financially and who knows how long before you can fill a ballpark with 50,000 people again, yet the players still think the current model should be in place. I agree that a lockout is coming and may be long and ugly.

This is just a preview of 18 months from now. The Basic Agreement expires at 11:59 PM on December 1, 2021. Wanna bet that 30 seconds later, MLB imposes a lockout? The Owners’ original proposal after backing out of the March agreement was a 50-50 revenue split. The PA rightly saw that as a precursor to a salary cap. Those negotiations are going to be ugly.
Baseball's labor negotiations are almost always ugly. Which is fine. Their union actually works to protect their players, unlike some others I could name ...

I am OK with people doing whatever they want unless it is negative to me. And don't abuse people or animals. Want to marry a tree? Go right ahead. Go ahead and smoke pot. Living in a cave is fine. And so on . All these people getting together could be a problem for me . As I said I am diabetic and over 50.
What others do shouldn't be any of your concern, as it does not affect you. I'm already so sick and tired of so many people having a holier than though attitude about "re-opening". Stay home if you choose, It's YOUR choice. And then shut up about it. If you have the means to stay locked inside your home for 6 more months, then do so. But quit trying to publically shame people who chose differently. Some people don'thave that option. Some are forced into being out and about. What happened to live and let live?

People spreading disease does not affect me? If you believe that I assume you don't get vaccines for yourself and kids (if you have any)? If you get vaccines then you are worried about getting diseases from other people.

I am not enjoying this lockdown. I like going to restaurants , movies, concerts, plays, etc. This really sucks.

You don't get to decide how everyone else lives their lives. If you're paranoid of getting Covid, stay home. But many people either don't have the option or don't want to. And many people are asymptomatic and staying that way. Consider that a good thing. People aren't getting sick and dying like many assume they would. you don't get to decide how anyone else lives their life. Period. What's next, taking every car off the road?

You don't get to decide how everyone else lives their lives. If you're paranoid of getting Covid, stay home. But many people either don't have the option or don't want to. And many people are asymptomatic and staying that way. Consider that a good thing. People aren't getting sick and dying like many assume they would. you don't get to decide how anyone else lives their life. Period. What's next, taking every car off the road?

I’m not deciding anything. The government’s most basic responsibility is protecting its citizens. All of us. Sweden stayed open. They have among the highest per capita death rates in the world. And for what? Their economy is still going to shrink by 7-10% according to their central bank. And they aren’t even close to achieving herd immunity, even in Stockholm. So what did staying open get them?

You do understand that people who are asymptomatic can spread the disease, right? And they never even know it.

Who said anything about taking cars off the road? But as long as you want to bring up that red herring, you realize that the government has mandated a slew of safety features in cars, right? From seat belts to air bags to reverse cameras, they’re all required. Remember when the government threatened to withhold highway funds from any state that didn’t raise their drinking age to 21?

Minor league baseball cutting 1000 players and more cuts to come. Maybe they will keep AAA and AA but anyone else is probably out of a job at least for this year.

Minor league baseball cutting 1000 players and more cuts to come. Maybe they will keep AAA and AA but anyone else is probably out of a job at least for this year.

Yeah, there is going to be a bloodletting in minor league baseball. MLB already had a plan on the table to shrink the minors by about 1/4, by eliminating teams from their development structure. This only exacerbates it. Some of the teams, Seattle among them, are paying minor league players through the end of August, when the minor league season typically ends anyway. But the Mariners also released 30 players, which typically happens around the draft anyway, to make room for drafted players.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the AHL next season too. If the NHL season is delayed because of the 2019-20 season playoffs, the AHL will have to be delayed too, unless they’re going to try to operate with AHL contracted players only. But with no fans in the stands, there is little revenue and the NHL won’t be paying support fees.

David Price, who hasn’t pitched an inning for the Dodgers yet, is paying every Dodgers minor league player not on the 40 man roster $1,000 per month. That should make it easier for the Dodgers to keep paying their minor leaguers, no?

with the new plan they had before the virus AAA, AA and A were going to stay. Everything else was going to be cut. Those lower level teams would have to fold or go independent - meaning no tie to MLB teams. There are already independent teams so there will be more of them. Around here Burlington Royals are rookie league so they likely have to go independent. Holly Springs summer college team probably won't have a season this year .

NWSL (Courage soccer) is having a tournament in Utah instead of a season. Players can opt out of the tournament if they have health or safety concerns. The players’ union negotiated salary guarantees if they play in the tournament or not.

Last edited:
with the new plan they had before the virus AAA, AA and A were going to stay. Everything else was going to be cut. Those lower level teams would have to fold or go independent - meaning no tie to MLB teams. There are already independent teams so there will be more of them. Around here Burlington Royals are rookie league so they likely have to go independent. Holly Springs summer college team probably won't have a season this year .

NWSL (Courage soccer) is having a tournament in Utah instead of a season. Players can opt out of the tournament if they have health or safety concerns. The players’ union negotiated salary guarantees if they play in the tournament or not.

At least 5 Women’s National Team opposed the plan, but most are undecided until more details are released. Alex Morgan just had a baby, so she was going to be out for a while anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back