• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Cary tried to get that tourney. I would think they would have put in a bid. SLC also has a MLS team so maybe that's a factor.

I wonder if Cary tried to get that tourney. I would think they would have put in a bid. SLC also has a MLS team so maybe that's a factor.
I doubt it. The owner of the Utah Royals, Dell Loy Hansen, is basically bankrolling the thing out of pocket ... to be reimbursed with whatever the league can cobble together for sponsorship money. You can bet that Cary didn't make THAT offer

Baseball union wants 114 games from June 30 to Halloween. Owners are not going to agree.

The MLSPA and the league are coming to loggerheads too. We could know by midnight tomorrow if there will be an MLS season or the owners will lock the players out

Baseball union wants 114 games from June 30 to Halloween. Owners are not going to agree.
MLB’s proposal Tuesday would lower 2020 salaries from about $4 billion to approximately $1.2 billion. The union’s latest offer under a 114 game season would have salaries total about $2.8 billion. Seems like a huge gap to try and sort out in time to play any meaningful baseball...fans or not!

I have always thought people who are rich like pro athletes are more likely to strike. If they have half a brain they should have plenty of money tucked away. They are not living paycheck to paycheck. If they are, they are really dumb.

Seems like NBA and MLS are close to deals to resume play. MLB the odd man out. NWSL (Courage) has a deal but not approved yet .

The NBA model is 22 teams, the 16 in playoff spots and 6 more within 6 games of the 8th seed. I wonder if that plan will be met with the same derision as the NHLs plan by the sports world, or if the champions will be tainted by an asterisk. The plan would bring the Washington Wizards and their spectacular .375 winning percentage into the playoffs. Charlotte at .354 misses by 1 game. At least every NHL playoff team is at NHL .500. If the NBA plan goes through, 9 of the 22 teams will have losing records.

In their plan, game 7 of the finals would be October 12.

The clock would really seem to be ticking faster for MLB to get their shit together. Unlike the NHL and NBA, who can play indoors and move it to just about anywhere, the MLB circus cannot agree on anything, and how on earth do you try and pull off any type of season with enough games in a sport that absolutely depends on weather to finish things out in the Fall if you are now into June with no plan and still have to put your players through at least 3 weeks of spring training to get players in a position to start. It would seem like baseball is under the gun the most right now to get something signed, sealed and delivered and at least back in position to get started ASAP.

The NBA model is 22 teams, the 16 in playoff spots and 6 more within 6 games of the 8th seed. I wonder if that plan will be met with the same derision as the NHLs plan by the sports world, or if the champions will be tainted by an asterisk. The plan would bring the Washington Wizards and their spectacular .375 winning percentage into the playoffs. Charlotte at .354 misses by 1 game. At least every NHL playoff team is at NHL .500. If the NBA plan goes through, 9 of the 22 teams will have losing records.

In their plan, game 7 of the finals would be October 12.
Word out of Disney circles is that the NBA and Disney have finalized an agreement to host the playoffs at Walt Disney World. They have agreed on resorts, conference facilities and the arena and practices spaces to be used and are seeking final approval from owners and the PA. Sounds like their final plan could come together as soon as the next couple of days unless they hit a speed bump.

Seems like NBA and MLS are close to deals to resume play. MLB the odd man out. NWSL (Courage) has a deal but not approved yet .

The MLSPA ratified their CBA this morning and it contains a plan to move forward this season. So MLB is the last league standing.

Word out of Disney circles is that the NBA and Disney have finalized an agreement to host the playoffs at Walt Disney World. They have agreed on resorts, conference facilities and the arena and practices spaces to be used and are seeking final approval from owners and the PA. Sounds like their final plan could come together as soon as the next couple of days unless they hit a speed bump.
JB, since you are in the Disney travel business...what resort hotels look curiously booked up solid soon? Grand Floridian? Riviera? You know it's going to be a deluxe resort and you gotta know some regular Joe's family vacation reservation is about to be bumped somewhere else because of the NBA plan.

Some of those annoying autograph hounds with a boatload of cards and memorabilia that stalk the players will try and figure out a way to converge on Disney once that NBA plan gets going.

Last edited:
So it sounds like 8 regular season games and then a possible play-in for the 8th seed if the 9th seed finishes within 4 games of the 8th seed. The players will be able to golf and eat at outdoor restaurants.

Teams would begin training at their sites in July before heading to Orlando later that month. Players will be tested daily and any player who tests positive will be removed and quarantined separately. Disney staff will have similar protocols and will not be allowed into players’ rooms (who is going to change the linens, equipment managers?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back