• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately, my family doesn't have much of that, at least that post. My Ohio high school classmates, on the other hand...

I've mostly stayed away from social media, other than this board, for the last four months. Just had my 65th birthday and still don't know if anybody noticed, other than immediate family.
Happy birthday, you old fart!

Fortunately, my family doesn't have much of that, at least that post. My Ohio high school classmates, on the other hand...

I've mostly stayed away from social media, other than this board, for the last four months. Just had my 65th birthday and still don't know if anybody noticed, other than immediate family.

I didn’t realize there was someone else on the board besides AH and dwind that are older than me.

I really only regularly use Facebook for business these days ... that and my usual brand of jokey BS in the comments sections of actual friends. You know ... as opposed to people I really don't know that well at the moment. I've found it easier to retreat than to use a a platform designed for casual social connection to debate things that actually matter. Occasionally I'll get suckered in, but I'm better about just walking on by these days. I'm increasingly concerned for people who see social media platforms as some sort of meaningful battleground of ideas. They just aren't and never were, but they can all too easily give the illusion of being so.

Courage win 2-1 on goal in 94th minute
It wasn't a bad game, all things considered. There were a lot of bobbles, it was clear that nobody was in midseason physical condition and both teams took a very tactically simple approach. But with the game on the line over the last 20 minutes or so, the thing sprung to life. It was nice to actually care about a live event after so long.

Cedar Island - Ocracoke ferry is nice and it's 2.25 hours. I walked onto that ferry for a camping trip with a backpack. People looked at us like we were from outer space. Back then it was $1 to walk on and it's still $1. We camped on Portsmouth island , the last people moved from there around 1972. We had to hire a local to boat us over to Portsmouth. And he had the unusual Ocracoke accent which is sort of British.

Was it Captain Rudy Austin? We took his Portsmouth Island Boat Tour. Good man.

Hoi Toide on the Saind Soide

My wife's step-dad has an old family farmhouse just south of Columbia and the farmers around there have the same accent. They call him Moik.

Can't recall the Ocracoke boat captain name. One sad thing to me is that there is a ferry that takes cars , trucks , etc to Portsmouth Island on the south end . I thought there would be no vehicles but there are some. I don't know if there are any islands in NC that don't allow vehicles . Georgia has Cumberland Island with no vehicles.

Can't recall the Ocracoke boat captain name. One sad thing to me is that there is a ferry that takes cars , trucks , etc to Portsmouth Island on the south end . I thought there would be no vehicles but there are some. I don't know if there are any islands in NC that don't allow vehicles . Georgia has Cumberland Island with no vehicles.
Bald Head Island technically doesn't allow gas powered motor vehicles, but the resort staff and construction crews get a pass ... and there is ALWAYS a ton of construction going on down there.

Parts of the National Seashore are closed vehicle traffic from time to time in an effort to protect nesting wildlife. Local GOB's don't like it much.

Parts of the National Seashore are closed vehicle traffic from time to time in an effort to protect nesting wildlife. Local GOB's don't like it much.
Ahh ... the Turtle Wars. It gets really nasty down in North Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back