• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

FI Dynasty Hockey League Discussion 2019-2020

It's already set that players 'Must Meet' eligibility requirements to be sent to the minors, and there is an illegal roster warning as well. I'm not going to turn on the strictest option until the offseason to avoid any technical problems in Fantrax. I'll go through the teams and see if there's anyone else.

As always, people please. Keep an eye on your rosters, don't start injured guys, don't leave guys on the IR who aren't injured, don't leave guys in the minors who have exceeded the limit, etc. We're all busy but just need to keep a closer eye on our rosters. At least now Fantrax has a handy little "m" beside all players who are eligible for the minors, so it's easy to scan down your player lists to doublecheck.

Reactions: BG
I understand that maybe healthy players on IR could have gone unnoticed by managers, but I don’t agree with it.

I don’t understand how players not eligible for minors slots can go unnoticed as there is a Roster Alerts popping at the top of team’s roster pages.

Regardless of all that it’s pretty simple in my book, when a team update it’s roster it has 2 jobs to do that should never be overlooked :

1. Look at the top of the screen’s Roster Violation messages and deal with them.

2. Scroll down to IR and deal with it in an appropriate manner.

Both those thing are very easy to do.
You don’t even need to scroll through your 25 Minors lists to know if players are not eligible.

A fair and effective way to deal with this would be to have a predetermined rules and penalties going into next season.

- Failure to have a Legal Roster without any Roster Violations after updating a team : X penalty

- X games over Minors Eligibilty :
X penalty

- X games/weeks of Healthy Players on IR Slots : X penalty

We should definitely impose a penalty for roster violations (with a 1-week grace period). Open to suggestions on the best way to do this.

Several times this year, players who are out indefinitely are not put on the IR by their teams (they just have a broken injured symbol). I don't mind adding these players to the IR. So basically, anyone with a player out for a week or more (not day to day) can send me a pm and I'd add them to the IR. Does anyone have an issue with that?

In the offseason, we should probably consider changing the setting so that teams can add any injured player to the IR.

Isn’t there a setting that doesn’t allow bench changes if you have a player on IR that’s eligible to come off IR? Some sites have that.

Isn’t there a setting that doesn’t allow bench changes if you have a player on IR that’s eligible to come off IR? Some sites have that.

This would be the best option.

We should definitely impose a penalty for roster violations (with a 1-week grace period). Open to suggestions on the best way to do this.

Assuming Habsy’s option is not available on Fantrax, then the League would need to move forward into enforcing the roster violations problems.

The problem with imposing a penalty after a 1 week grace period (or any number of games) is that it unofficially changes the IR rules of the 100GP limit number for minor eligibility.

For example, if we decide to give a penalty after 1 week of roster violation, or after 103-105 GP, then the owners will know that they won’t get punished before 103-105GP, etc
So in a way it becomes allowed to go unpunished beyond the 100GP limit league rule or having healthy players on IR longer than supposed.

My suggestion on how to proceed would have 2 parts, and teams would be punished on either aspect of roster violations.

The “Active” part :
Teams who make any kind of modifications to their roster have the obligation to correct any roster violations (Healthy players on IR according to the parameters the League agrees on and players in Minors slots need to be eligible)
Failure to do so will result in a Penalty.
The “Active” part of the rule would solve majority of the situations and hold owners accountable for roster management.

The “Inactive” part :
This part is to set a number of games for inactive team after which we give a penalty in the same ways we would give to active players who have failed to correct roster violations at their last roster modificiation.
For example if a minor player reaches 105 GP, there is a penalty.
Same thing with healthy players on IR, maybe if they have played 5 games while on IR, there is a penalty.
Also since most of the situations would be resolved by the active part, the inactive part could be at a higher number like 10 or 15 GP over the limit.

Now the most difficult part is the penalty itself.
The first choices that comes
to mind would be draft picks or ranking points added or deduced.
FPTs would probably be harder to deal with as the top teams would need to have point deduced for it to be a penalty, but lower teams would need to have top-ups point that hurt them in the draft lottery for it to be considered a penalty.

The danger with points is that teams who decide to throw away the season and focus on next year could be relatively unaffected by the penalties and find it more valuable to just keep their roster illegal.

It think taking draft picks away as more teeth and would offer good options into grading infractions, and taking away bigger pick for repeated infractions in the same season, etc

Last edited:
Several times this year, players who are out indefinitely are not put on the IR by their teams (they just have a broken injured symbol). I don't mind adding these players to the IR. So basically, anyone with a player out for a week or more (not day to day) can send me a pm and I'd add them to the IR. Does anyone have an issue with that?

In the offseason, we should probably consider changing the setting so that teams can add any injured player to the IR.

This personally does not bother me as much as the roster violations issues.

I like the system the way it is, and it adds a layer of difficulty/complexity to have to wait for the NHL team to put the players on IR.
We do have 5 reserve spots to deal with the situation as best as we can and sometimes it forces teams to be creative or to make difficult decisions.

With that being said, I would not be in opposition of the change proposed for next season as long as the roster violations issue is taken care of.

It would not be a change to take lightly as GH as mentioned, this could open up biggest issues if not done properly.

Since the real NHL GM’s are in Boca Raton right now discussing rules and politics, I’ll take this opportunity to present a way of handling the IR/Minors violation problems and the potential penalties that comes with it.

——————

IR/Minor Violations Rule

1.0 Active Part

Teams who are making modifications to their rosters have to correct any IR/Minors eligibility violations.

There would be two different ways to apply the Active Part; the Hard Version or the Soft Version. Take your pick.

1.0.1 Hard Version

Every single time a team makes roster changes of any kind, the IR/Minors eligibility violations must be corrected.
No exceptions.

Failure to do so will result in a penalty.

1.0.2 Soft Version

If a team makes any kind of roster modifications without correcting IR/Minors eligibility violations, he has until the end of the current scoring period to correct said violations.

Failure to do so will result in a penalty.

———

2.0 Inactive Part

Teams who have failed to correct IR/Minors violation after a certain time will be given a penalty.

2.1 IR Eligibility Violations

A penalty will be given for every 10 games played by a single healthy player on IR.

2.2 Minors Eligibility Violations

A penalty will be given for every 10 games played over the minors eligibility limit by a single player.

3.0 Penalties

A penalty will result in the lost of a draft pick 3 years from the end of the current season.
(Ex: For an infraction in the 2019-2020 season, pick will be taken away from the 2023 draft)

Subsequent penalties will result in the lost of a higher draft pick or of more draft picks according to the following guideline :

1st penalty4th
2nd penalty3rd
3rd penalty2nd
4th penalty1st
5th penalty1st + 4th
6th penalty1st + 3rd
7th penalty1st + 2nd
8th penalty1st + 2nd + 4th
9th penalty1st + 2nd + 3rd
10th penaltyAll draft picks

We've been discussing these type of issues/solutions for years. It's really tough to come up with something that's fair and enforceable.

Ultimately, we need to get managers that give a shit.

I think it's a reasonable proposal, and I'd lean more towards the "soft" version. The penalties start to get rather draconian fairly quickly, which is definitely fair in an effort to reduce these infractions, but perhaps also a bit harsh. We can debate the penalties, but there should be something with teeth for repeat offenders.

What I will also do is review the Fantrax settings in the off-season and change a setting or two to "force" teams into (a) removing players from the IR in a timely fashion, and (b) prevent players from staying in minor league roster spots when they've exceeded their eligibility. It would likely cause an "illegal roster" which has its own set of problems, but it probably still needs to be done.

I agree with the need to enforce some kind of action.

I also agree that what thunder proposed, while well thought out, is a little to harsh. It is also hard to take draft picks that may have been traded. That seems like it could be a bit of a headache.

I thought of something as a possibility, though I am not sure if it is too harsh as well. Kind of a 'you abuse it, you lose it.'

What about something like:

If a manager has a player that has either cleared IR or a prospect that has exceeded the maximum games played limit, they will be issued a warning. They will have the remainder of the current period, plus the next period to correct. If the player(s) in question are not moved from the area they are now ineligible for by the end of said period, they will be placed on waivers by the commissioner. All teams will be able to claim said player, including the offending team (should their waiver position allow it).

Multiple offences within a season could also result in said manager losing all lottery eligibility for draft picks they own for that season.

Example 1: if the offending manager has a 1st round pick from another team that is in a lottery position, that pick would no longer be lottery eligible. The pick will default to the first position outside of lottery range unless traded to another team.

Example 2: if the offending manager owns all of their own picks and is in a lottery position, they will be ineligible for the lottery. Their picks will immediately be slotted after the other lottery eligible picks.

I guess that the idea of taking draft picks doesn't really affect a competing team that is trying to take advantage of added depth by abusing ir/prospect eligibility. Losing the player(s) that they are protecting would solve that issue real quick. The rest of the period +1 kind of makes sense in my mind because it is possible that a player that is close to a gp threshold or returning from an injury doesn't necessarily do so on the same schedule as our scoring periods.

Another way to go is with point penalties per infraction. There would be some tricky math depending on the team's position.

Like, if it's a team that is in contention he can be penalized by subtracting points. If it's team that's "tanking" then we can add points per infraction.

i like that suggestion HP. also helps with the more impactfull issue of teams intentionally neglecting their rosters to get higher picks than they deserve. a penalty on top of the top up seems about right.

also is it not possible to just lock rosters from making any lineup changes without correcting their roster?

Back