• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #1 - AUG 2 8pm SN - The Covid Cup is Ours

I would call them the eastern conference version of the San Jose Sharks, but the Sharks at least could make it out of the first round every now and then.

And I suppose this year, they won’t have even made it as far as the first round.

I wouldn't. the Sharks have been a much better franchise. We're a lot closer to being Edmonton east than San Jose.

I wouldn't. the Sharks have been a much better franchise. We're a lot closer to being Edmonton east than San Jose.
Agreed, but in fairness both teams are young enough to change the narrative quickly. And just wait till their first line is lafreniere-matthews-nylander.

Again, if they play like that every game this series it's going to be 50-50. Odds are in most games matthews scores on either his crossbar shot that korpisalo straight up missed (a shot that likely didn't register highly on xgf but a matthews open shot from anywhere should) or his chance in the slot. On some nights he'd score both. Plus the robertson tap in attempt was a better chance than columbus got all game. Jackets had the advantage in expected goals but the leafs dont need to win that battle to take the series because:

1. Andersen should be better than korpisalo. Perhaps he isn't but he should be
2. The leafs shooting talent far exceeds the jackets

A little mini improvement and the leafs tip the scales a bit. Maybe to 55-45. Problem is they'd have to win 3 of the next 4 in games that are or are almost 50-50. Pretty big underdogs now.

They are 8-13 overall thus far in the past 4 post seasons without a series win. When does overreaction just become reaction?

Statistically if they continue being this type of team in the next 5-6 years with no changes, they should eventually break through. Happens to basically every team. All about stats and fortune, will eventually break our way.

Happens to basically every team.
Well no that's not how statistics work. Odds certainly improve the longer you're competitive but it's hardly a lock in a league with thirty+ teams where the best team has no more than a 15% chance of winning.

They are 8-13 overall thus far in the past 4 post seasons without a series win. When does overreaction just become reaction?
It's not like you even said they *are* overrated underachievers. Just that they are approaching said territory. Pretty measured, given the repeated failures of this group.

Well, look around the league, look how long it took for Washington.
The main group is young and that is the main point....you don't give up on kids for chrissakes.

I'm curious, do you think Tampa is done now?

Well, look around the league, look how long it took for Washington.
The main group is young and that is the main point....you don't give up on kids for chrissakes.

I'm curious, do you think Tampa is done now?

Not all kids turn out the way you want them to. Simply being young doesn't mean they will eventually figure it out with no evidence of improvement or progress.

Again, if they play like that every game this series it's going to be 50-50. Odds are in most games matthews scores on either his crossbar shot that korpisalo straight up missed (a shot that likely didn't register highly on xgf but a matthews open shot from anywhere should) or his chance in the slot. On some nights he'd score both. Plus the robertson tap in attempt was a better chance than columbus got all game. Jackets had the advantage in expected goals but the leafs dont need to win that battle to take the series because:

1. Andersen should be better than korpisalo. Perhaps he isn't but he should be
2. The leafs shooting talent far exceeds the jackets

A little mini improvement and the leafs tip the scales a bit. Maybe to 55-45. Problem is they'd have to win 3 of the next 4 in games that are or are almost 50-50. Pretty big underdogs now.

I watched the game too and I think the Leafs have to do more to get into the dirty areas to score against CBJ as they keep everything to the outside. Get players in Korpisalo's grille. It will create even more screens with the defenseman that have to defend. Basically, the Leafs need a guy to score like Gallagher scores. Dirty rebound scrum type goals. Once they are able to do that it should open up for them.

Reading this it's almost like half the board has forgotten the lesson of Phil Kessel. This some players are winners, others are losers false dichotomy is media driven mouthbreather nonsense.

Tyler Bozak was 5th in forward scoring on the stanley cup champion last year, if we needed another example (tied with the "gritty" Brayden Schenn no less...)

who doesn't like Tyler Bozak...solid career for a guy that went undrafted

Reading this it's almost like half the board has forgotten the lesson of Phil Kessel. This some players are winners, others are losers false dichotomy is media driven mouthbreather nonsense.

Tyler Bozak was 5th in forward scoring on the stanley cup champion last year, if we needed another example (tied with the "gritty" Brayden Schenn no less...)

The curse of Ryan O’Rielly.

The Wings also really should have traded Stevie Y in 1989.
I always love that myth that only after Yzerman became a"Two-Way" force they won cups. LOL. It has nothing to do with having easily the most talent in the NHL and Detroit having the least amount of talent when Yzerman was scoring his most in the late 80's/early 90's.

Back