• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #16: NOV 5, 7:30, TSN - Kings at Leafs

Preston

Yeah, I'm not really buying the whole "Leafs have actually been elite" narrative. They've been slightly above average - I won't deny that. Would be closer to a 100-103 point team with average goaltending and a healthy JT... but there are warts. I expected them to take fat shits on teams. They've been outplayed by most of the elite teams and really.. Much of it is a result of Tavares-Marner being more of a mediocre 2nd-3rd line as opposed to a super elite first line. I'm not sure that changes but it could propel them to the next level if/when it does. The other part is Matthews/Willy/Marner getting wrecked against opposing teams' top dogs. They don't really have it in them to effectively battle against the Bergchand's of the world. That is crippling when they make as much money as they do.

And then we have Barrie, who in all honesty not really looked like a quality 2nd pair defensman. That hurts. Injuries hurt. A lot has gone wrong. Almost everything. And they're still playing at a decent clip. My expectations are just sky high though and I do see them as a notch or three below the Bruins of the world.

Artnes

Barrie has a big problem with dumping low danger shots into shin pads

Work the puck down low to the guys who do what they do best

LeafGm

Ya saw him say that at the end and cringed.

This was a guy who took maybe the most talented team ever assembled, the 2014 Canadian Olympic team, and managed to make them boring. I mean, they dominated that tournament especially on the defensive end. But seriously, he took the best roster I've ever seen with in his prime Crosby and all the superstars from that epic 2004 draft in the middle of their prime (Getlaf, Perry, Weber, Keith, Bergeron) plus the younger crop like Tavares, Subban, Doughty, Toews when he could still dangle, Benn....and somehow made that team boring.

They only score 2.8 goals per game in the tournament with that roster. Not a single guy was over a point per game.

But they only allowed 0.5 goals per game.

Full props for the dominance and I don't mean to complain too much because they won, but that is Babcock dream hockey. How sweet would it have been to watch that team run and gun.

Yeah, I had the same thought. The 2014 Olympics is one of the pillars upon which Babcock's reputation as one of the great coaches in hockey rests. And I mean, fair enough, the team won the tournament, and they did absolutely dominate possession.

But when you look back on it...he took a team that had star/superstar-level talent from top-to-bottom, and turned them into a team of pluggers that played a style of hockey that was painfully boring to watch.

And as much as they did dominate possession, on the actual scoreboard they eked out wins in ridiculously close games against some pretty bad opponents. In the round robin, they defeated Norway 3-1, and had to go to OT to beat Finland 2-1. And in the medal tournament, they famously entered the final 10 minutes of their quarter-final game against Latvia still tied 1-1, before eventually going on to win the game 2-1.

So, Babcock's not lying. That ugliness we saw against the Kings is exactly what he wants to see from this hockey team.

Preston

Yeah, I had the same thought. The 2014 Olympics is one of the pillars upon which Babcock's reputation as one of the great coaches in hockey rests. And I mean, fair enough, the team won the tournament, and they did absolutely dominate possession.

But when you look back on it...he took a team that had star/superstar-level talent from top-to-bottom, and turned them into a team of pluggers that played a style of hockey that was painfully boring to watch.

And as much as they did dominate possession, on the actual scoreboard they eked out wins in ridiculously close games against some pretty bad opponents. In the round robin, they defeated Norway 3-1, and had to go to OT to beat Finland 2-1. And in the medal tournament, they famously entered the final 10 minutes of their quarter-final game against Latvia still tied 1-1, before eventually going on to win the game 2-1.

So, Babcock's not lying. That ugliness we saw against the Kings is exactly what he wants to see from this hockey team.
Yeah, his style is basically playing for 1 goal games... Which a lot of times, the winner is based on a coin flip. I would say that style serves teams like the Isles better than some mega-talented team. But it is what it is. It's not changing anytime soon. I would argue that Babs has sucked the creativity out of Matthews, Willy and Mucho. They look clueless in carrying the puck in the neutral zone nowadays. It's drastically different than the free roaming creative nature of their play a couple years ago. But it is what it is.. Babs is the boss. This is what he thinks is best.

Artnes

Maybe his master plan of getting them to play semi responsibly works out in the end but jesus its painful to have the horsepower he does and let it sit in the garage

zeke

Yeah, his style is basically playing for 1 goal games... Which a lot of times, the winner is based on a coin flip. I would say that style serves teams like the Isles better than some mega-talented team. But it is what it is. It's not changing anytime soon. I would argue that Babs has sucked the creativity out of Matthews, Willy and Mucho. They look clueless in carrying the puck in the neutral zone nowadays. It's drastically different than the free roaming creative nature of their play a couple years ago. But it is what it is.. Babs is the boss. This is what he thinks is best.
for the record, the leafs are 3rd in cf/60 at even strength and 4th in gf/60.

the only place the offense is shortcircuiting is on the PP.

zeke

Matthews ES

16-17: 2.32p/60, 2.13p1/60, 1.55g/60, 52.2cf% (+1.7), 51.9xgf% (+1.8)
17-18: 2.97p/60, 2.61p1/60, 1.70g/60, 50.7cf% (+0.5), 51.8xgf% (+1.3)
18-19: 2.93p/60, 2.32p1/60, 1.38g/60, 53.0cf% (+0.7), 51.7xgf% (+0.7)
19-20: 3.25p/60, 2.79p1/60, 2.09g/60, 55.9cf% (+4.9), 55.7xgf% (+8.8)

The most hilarious take this year is that Matthews is somehow not playing well, when he's absolutely, positively dominating, at a level far higher than he's ever been at before.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Matthews ES

16-17: 2.32p/60, 2.13p1/60, 1.55g/60, 52.2cf% (+1.7), 51.9xgf% (+1.8)
17-18: 2.97p/60, 2.61p1/60, 1.70g/60, 50.7cf% (+0.5), 51.8xgf% (+1.3)
18-19: 2.93p/60, 2.32p1/60, 1.38g/60, 53.0cf% (+0.7), 51.7xgf% (+0.7)
19-20: 3.25p/60, 2.79p1/60, 2.09g/60, 55.9cf% (+4.9), 55.7xgf% (+8.8)

The most hilarious take this year is that Matthews is somehow not playing well, when he's absolutely, positively dominating, at a level far higher than he's ever been at before.
But does he try hard visibly? By visibly, I mean does he try hard in the way that I understand high effort, by pumping his arms and legs really hard?

leafman101

Was listing to the post game show on TSN last night and had to turn it off when they started talking about how you can't judge Matthews value based on the first 20 games of his new contract and he will produce in the long run.

The dude is 3rd in the league in scoring.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Was listing to the post game show on TSN last night and had to turn it off when they started talking about how you can't judge Matthews value based on the first 20 games of his new contract and he will produce in the long run.

The dude is 3rd in the league in scoring.
Tied for 8th in points as well. He's on pace for 62 goals, 92 points, with monster possession numbers.

So disappointing.

Artnes

SN is no better. They have Mike Zigomanis and Anthony Stewart discussing trade possibilities for Willy once Hyman comes back

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
SN is no better. They have Mike Zigomanis and Anthony Stewart discussing trade possibilities for Willy once Hyman comes back
I get why multi millionaire hockey players don't jump into the booth for a couple of grand a month, but surely someone has to realize that using guys with career goal and point totals somewhere in the range of what Willy scores in a season, is a bad look, right?

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
These fucking people are the worst. Seriously the fucking worst.

It's not at all instructive to Andy that we ran Kessel out of town and he became the catalyst and a top 3 player on a back to back cup winning team, right?

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Matthews hasn't gone more than 2 games in a row without a goal, or 1 game without a point, this year
His longest goalless drought since February of last year is 6 games. His longest pointless streak last season was 4 games, which he did once. Only went 3 games without a point another 3 times.