• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #17: NOV 7, 7:00, SN - Vegas @ Leafs

blkngldbabe

yeah it's awful, don't be that person
I wouldn’t actually as I like JT but man, It should have been Auston. I’m sure he will get his shot and it’s was probably more about team Marner getting their collective thongs in a knot and The pressure cooker that is the 6 but he still IMHO should have got the nod.JT is an amazing add (not so far this season) but gives us another full line to worry about. He was a solid add on. Not our youth movement core. /whining

zeke

“We were a bit stagnant [on the power play],” Matthews explained afterwards. “So in the third, I pretty much said, 'what do we have to lose? Let's move around, let's get their penalty kill thinking more.’ And I thought we did a really good job, having different guys going into different areas and just reacting and playing off our instincts. Not just drawing up plays but reacting off one another and then using each other and making plays to spread them out a little bit and we were able to score.”

Oh hey, lookit that.

#austonisthecaptainnow

Aberdeen

“We were a bit stagnant [on the power play],” Matthews explained afterwards. “So in the third, I pretty much said, 'what do we have to lose? Let's move around, let's get their penalty kill thinking more.’ And I thought we did a really good job, having different guys going into different areas and just reacting and playing off our instincts. Not just drawing up plays but reacting off one another and then using each other and making plays to spread them out a little bit and we were able to score.”

Oh hey, lookit that.

#austonisthecaptainnow
#andthecoach

Artnes

Yeah, it masks the shitshow that has been this team this year. Last night was a terrible performance and they were bailed out by Freddy and Vegas taking some stupid penalties.

Will continue to wait patiently for the team playing a good 60 minute game.
Vegas had 5 PP opportunities to put it away and couldn't convert

They had a ton of low danger chances but couldnt generate much in close. They did a good job of keeping them to the outside

And lets not forget Subban stood on his head as well

leaffan2005

Vegas had 5 PP opportunities to put it away and couldn't convert

They had a ton of low danger chances but couldnt generate much in close. They did a good job of keeping them to the outside

And lets not forget Subban stood on his head as well
You are right. The defensive play last night was much improved outside of that horrendous shit-show of a 2nd period. Anderson had a lot to do with that as well.

I wouldn't say Subban stood on his head. The team generated very little in terms of offence all night (even on the PP) and looked very uninterested for large stretches of the game (as usual).

With this club it appears they can not play with skill and still remain somewhat defensively responsible. It is either the rope-a-dope style of last night or the free-wheeling pond hockey style from the start of the year.

leafman101

The Leafs won the xG game 3.78 to 2.53. They out HD chanced them 16-12.

I don't see how you can look at that game and say the Leafs created nothing offensively, were disinterested and saved by Freddy.

That was a very good, close game between two elite teams.

Matrim

You are right. The defensive play last night was much improved outside of that horrendous shit-show of a 2nd period. Anderson had a lot to do with that as well.

I wouldn't say Subban stood on his head. The team generated very little in terms of offence all night (even on the PP) and looked very uninterested for large stretches of the game (as usual).

With this club it appears they can not play with skill and still remain somewhat defensively responsible. It is either the rope-a-dope style of last night or the free-wheeling pond hockey style from the start of the year.
Is it safe to say you won't ever be happy unless they play up to their potential every minute of every game forever? Because you know that's impossible right? A lot of different factors come into play when it comes to performance, they are still humans and not hockey playing robots.

WellPlayed

If our powerplay has sucked because the coaches don't want them moving around and are trying to ram set-plays down these guys throats, that's infuriating.

We have two of the best goal scorers in the league, one of the best playmakers in the league, and a 70 point dman. Let them loose.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
I find it instructive just how easily and often Matthews was able to get open for shots when they started operating outside of the coached PP system. The entire strategy of our PP, like any PP with a legitimately elite goal scoring weapon, should be to get that weapon open in a shooting position. We fail to do that a whole lot. But the boys go off script once and all of a sudden Auston is banging shots on net...weird, right?

Preston

I find it instructive just how easily and often Matthews was able to get open for shots when they started operating outside of the coached PP system. The entire strategy of our PP, like any PP with a legitimately elite goal scoring weapon, should be to get that weapon open in a shooting position. We fail to do that a whole lot. But the boys go off script once and all of a sudden Auston is banging shots on net...weird, right?
The key is movement. How dangerous does that mother fucker look when he curls out, receives a pass from Mo and is fucking moving directly towards the net? Opens up either a shot or a pass opportunity every time. As opposed to when he's stagnant and there's nothing but predictable straight forward passes and clogged lanes available. I think the solution is pretty obvious.. Move. Just move.

zeke

If our powerplay has sucked because the coaches don't want them moving around and are trying to ram set-plays down these guys throats, that's infuriating.

We have two of the best goal scorers in the league, one of the best playmakers in the league, and a 70 point dman. Let them loose.

The main issue with babs is always that he's an overcoacher. With matchups, with systems, with everyone. Other coaches make light of how much simpler their systems are than his.

LeafOfFaith

Matthews is great at doing his thing - scoring. Would love to see him grow into more of a playmaker too, but for now, he’s a guy who knows how to hit the back of the net like few others.

It’s the other guys I’m more concerned with. Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, and Johnsson are basically the same guy. Marner is definitely a cut above as the guy can pick up points in his sleep and does a lot on the defensive end and PK to help us win. The other three though are flash. They’re all easy 20 goal scorers, but not sure any of them has 30+ in him. Willy definitely has the skill, but just doesn’t seem to want to be that 30-40 goal guy that he could be. Maybe he gets more aggressive as he ages, or maybe Matty starts dishing more for some easy goals.

But I do feel the element we’re lacking to take us over the top is a Wendel or Tucker type. A crasher and banger who is physical, a bit unhinged, and can power his way to 30 goals. We badly need that. Honestly Mikheyev looks like maybe he has it in him, so I’d love to see him on one of the top two lines. Him and Matthews could probably do some major damage together, and Willy could be the beneficiary of the space and time they create.

I do think we’re going down the path of one of those three wingers getting traded eventually. I find myself thinking back to just before Willy signed, when those Svechnikov rumors popped up. That would’ve been interesting.

leaffan2005

Is it safe to say you won't ever be happy unless they play up to their potential every minute of every game forever? Because you know that's impossible right? A lot of different factors come into play when it comes to performance, they are still humans and not hockey playing robots.
The team hasn't played a well rounded 60 minute game in weeks. Nobody expects perfection every shift. Heck I complemented how they played in the 1st period and it was far from perfect.

But you are kidding yourself if you watched that game (and others in recent weeks) and were happy with how the team played. From a big picture approach that isn't a good sign of future success, regardless of what the fancy stats say. The fact that we actually had better possession numbers in what was maybe the worst period of hockey I have seen in a long time tells you all you need to know about these stats. They are flawed and do not give an accurate depiction of the game. Heck the guys on the team acknowledged the shittiness of their performance.