• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #30: DEC 4, 7:00 - Time for the Mucho Man to go Savage

Yeah, Boston is very much missing those two right now. Weird how they improved after trading those guys for seemingly poor returns and those guys have gone on to do very little on their new teams in terms of regular season or playoff success.

Perfect example of two baby back bitches who were bringing the team down getting dealt. I would hope to get a similar response here by moving some of these allegedly "elite" players who have led a perennial underachieving team for three years now.

'They haven't improved at all without them though. Their last year with Seguin they were a 106 point team that made the Cup final and after trading them they immediately became a 90 point non-playoff team and didn't get back to the position they were until Pastrnak and McAboy came along.

Now they are just worse than they could have been.

You'd think Leafs fans would have learned after the whole Kessel thing. "He's too soft." "Can't win with him." Tell that to Pittsburgh.

You'd think Leafs fans would have learned after the whole Kessel thing. "He's too soft." "Can't win with him." Tell that to Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh had a well rounded core already in place. Kessel and guys like the Leafs have can definitely win in that kind of environment. It's no coincidence that players like Kessel, Taylor Hall, etc. never succeed as the best player on a team.

Oh right. Pittsbugh's well rounded core with "tough" players like Malkin, Letang, Kessel, Schultz and Guentzel.

Keep misinterpreting the word "tough", it's working out well for you.

Also, you may have forgotten a certain somebody on that team. Weird that you left him out.

I'm interpreting it the way you defined. None of those guys are tough.

And I intentionally left Crosby out because he is every worthwhile adjective you could use to describe a hockey player, including your definition of tough.

Why is this guy so aggressive? Calm down dude. It's just a bunch of white millionaires playing a game. It's not a big deal.

You are as delicate as Matthews and co. if you think I am being aggressive. Toughen up a little.
giphy.gif

That's because you are misinterpreting what "tougher" means. It doesn't mean getting guys who throw crazy body checks and pound on people.

I don't think I am, because there are a number of people in this thread very specifically lamenting the fact that Matthews doesn't "throw a fucking hit" and those are the people I'm referring to. I don't want Matthews to be focusing on hits. I don't think he needs to.

"Tough" also refers to mental toughness. Responding well after a goal, rallying back to tie a game, not getting down after mistakes, etc. They haven't shown the ability to do any of these things. Adversity doesn't spark greater and better performances. They are just not built that way. You can get away with having 1 or 2 guys like this but when you have a team littered with this kind of persona you are in trouble. They are also quite stupid in general. Boneheaded mistakes are the regular culprit for our losses (i.e. Matthews in the Buffalo game, Spezza more recently). They don't think the game well and are way too passive on the puck.

Yes, see post earlier in the thread where I said literally exactly the same thing.

We need to shake up the core of this team, bottom line. You can critique certain trade ideas all you want but shuffling 4th line guys in and out and mixing up the bottom pair defenders isn't going to make a meaningful difference. Guys like Nylander, Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen, etc. need to be moved for returns that address the shortcomings I just mentioned. Otherwise we continue to toil in mediocrity.

Earlier I specifically asked you what your plan was and you listed Ceci, Marner and a backup goalie and I said I was open to all of those. Now it's Nylander, Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen? Yikes. Yeah, no. Don't agree.

I don't think I am, because there are a number of people in this thread very specifically lamenting the fact that Matthews doesn't "throw a fucking hit" and those are the people I'm referring to. I don't want Matthews to be focusing on hits. I don't think he needs to.

Yes, see post earlier in the thread where I said literally exactly the same thing.

Earlier I specifically asked you what your plan was and you listed Ceci, Marner and a backup goalie and I said I was open to all of those. Now it's Nylander, Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen? Yikes. Yeah, no. Don't agree.

I didn't say I would deal every one of those guys. But they would be the group of people I would target, and yes dealing a combination of those dudes for more well rounded hockey players would definitely benefit the team. Don't expect it to happen though under Duby so not to worry.

Back