• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #57: Feb 11 7:00 - Yotes @ Leafs

I mean in fairness Hutch had a comparable three game stretch recently. I see a lot of people on twitter building statues over Jackie C but let's take it down a notch a bit too. He had one horse shit game and two solid ones, both of which he allowed shitty goals and/or got insanely lucky on multiple occasions (I mean come on.. That one save where he was looking the other way after a bad rebound and the puck somehow hit him?) and both of which the Leafs were worldbeaters defensively and allowed very very few high danger chances. I'm not going to make any judgments on how good he is yet, so I'm not saying he's trash but let's build the sample a bit before we start the worshiping. More than likely a huge huge upgrade on Hutch and all but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's anything more than an average backup. Plus like.. a 3 game sample is a brutal pool to judge any goalie on.

Its funny because the Leafs have actually played very good defensively in front of Campbell, despite how some may characterize the last 3 games.

xGA/60 (Keefe era):
1. Campbell - 1.95
2. Hutch - 2.31
3. Freddy - 2.35

Campbell has also been the only goalie to exceed expectations though.

GSAA/60
1. Campbell: 0.97
2. Freddy: -0.05
3. Hutch: -0.22

All situations

xGA/60 (Keefe era):
1. Campbell - 2.23
2. Hutch - 2.44
3. Freddy - 2.45

GSAA/60
1. Campbell: 0.36
2. Freddy: 0.09
3. Hutch: -0.41

Small sample, but yeah insanely huge upgrade on Hutch.

All situations

xGA/60 (Keefe era):
1. Campbell - 2.23
2. Hutch - 2.44
3. Freddy - 2.45

GSAA/60
1. Campbell: 0.36
2. Freddy: 0.09
3. Hutch: -0.41

Small sample, but yeah insanely huge upgrade on Hutch.
Small sample against 3 teams who are pretty anemic offense teams in fairness. But yeah, regardless they've been great defensively in general lately. Reminding me of the late era babs teams where they sacrificed a lot of their offense for legitimately terrific defense. I don't like it personally. Hopefully they can eventually put it all together.

I like Jack Campbell, heck in some ways I love him But I don't think he is all that great. BUT, BUT, he is always giving his dmen and forwards coming back a little tap or slap.

Might be a lot of brilliance in that. They might just put out that little extra to allow him to perform.

So I am a cautionary jack Campbell fan, I would love to see him succeed, because he seems like the ultimate teammate.

Something got into Tyson Barrie's broth last night for example, I mean the guy was puck battling all night. Either his agent gave him something or he is responding to the Soupy slap and tap? I have never seen Barrie compete like he did last night. This year anyways, I never watched him when he played for Colorado.

And again, analytics are great obviously But if Campbell's enthusiastic slaps and taps are inspiring stronger effort, how do you measure that analytically?

I mean, am I the first Leaf fan to notice, Campbell's slap and tap? I have never seen a goalie do that, ever, in all the years I have watched this great game.

Heck, you would have thought Johnny Bower would have invented that one.

If it keeps working, watch every other goalie in North America copy and paste.

Last edited:
Taking suggestions for a Jack Campbell nickname.

Can't have two 'soupys'.

Camper
Campo
Cambo
Cappo

Small sample against 3 teams who are pretty anemic offense teams in fairness. But yeah, regardless they've been great defensively in general lately. Reminding me of the late era babs teams where they sacrificed a lot of their offense for legitimately terrific defense. I don't like it personally. Hopefully they can eventually put it all together.

I dont believe they are sacrificing offense but more so we are seeing some regression.

I pulled a split from the last 20 games leading back to the 8-6 bar burner with Carolina

5v5

(12-23 to 01-14) 10gp
3.1 gf / 2.8 ga / 11.58 sh% / 27.8 sf / 27.3 sa

(1-16 to 2-11) 10 gp
1.9g / 2.3 ga / 6.9 sh% / 27.4 sf / 25.8 sa

Taking suggestions for a Jack Campbell nickname.

Can't have two 'soupys'.

Camper
Campo
Cambo
Cappo

No, you see, one of them is "Soup", and the other one is "Soupy".

Completely different nicknames.

So early returns are in, and I think Campy looks great. His positioning is great, he’s got good rebound control, a quick glove, and he doesn’t seem to panic. I’m guessing Dubas wanted him all along, but LA wouldn’t give him up, even extended him just a few months ago, so it just took a while to get him.

But as for Clifford, I’m not seeing much so far, but what I am seeing, I’m not liking. What does he do? Nothing, from what I can see, other than take a useful Timashov out of the lineup. I really hope he was a throw in and that one of those picks wasn’t specifically for him. Because what a waste if it was.

Anyway, not sure where our offense has gone, but I’m seeing a lot of drained, sick looking faces out there. Willy and Mitch in particular look like they’re dragging themselves. The super line was anything but. They should go back to Willy and JT. And enough with Kerfoot on wing and Engvall at center. Put Engvall back with Tavares and put Kerfoot between Kapanen and Johnsson. Speaking of Kappy, with that speed and that touch, I just don’t get how the kid doesn’t score 30 in his sleep. Not sure what’s in the cards for the deadline, but they need to keep this guy, because once he figures it out, watch out.

So early returns are in, and I think Campy looks great. His positioning is great, he’s got good rebound control, a quick glove, and he doesn’t seem to panic. I’m guessing Dubas wanted him all along, but LA wouldn’t give him up, even extended him just a few months ago, so it just took a while to get him.

But as for Clifford, I’m not seeing much so far, but what I am seeing, I’m not liking. What does he do? Nothing, from what I can see, other than take a useful Timashov out of the lineup. I really hope he was a throw in and that one of those picks wasn’t specifically for him. Because what a waste if it was.

Anyway, not sure where our offense has gone, but I’m seeing a lot of drained, sick looking faces out there. Willy and Mitch in particular look like they’re dragging themselves. The super line was anything but. They should go back to Willy and JT. And enough with Kerfoot on wing and Engvall at center. Put Engvall back with Tavares and put Kerfoot between Kapanen and Johnsson. Speaking of Kappy, with that speed and that touch, I just don’t get how the kid doesn’t score 30 in his sleep. Not sure what’s in the cards for the deadline, but they need to keep this guy, because once he figures it out, watch out.

They have a bad case of PDO. It will pass

Good question. I'm sure the injuries and resulting line shuffling don't help, but I also get the sense he hasn't hit that level of maturity yet.

He's clearly the most tradeable chip. Maybe we can trick a team by putting a Kapanen sweater on AJ...

I think Clifford is suffering from the same Kings/coaching that we saw from Muzzin for the first couple months when he was acquired. Not used to this scheme of potent offense. Give him some time (or don't, I don't really care).

Possibly for the last time, you don't trade Hyman or Kapanen. These guys are big occasion guys, like playoffs, key regular season goals etc..

And hey, Hyman can always salt away the game with an empty netter lol. To boot.

Back