• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Canucks 12/12 10:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Ready for another late night?

The Canes build a 3 goal lead in the first period on Tuesday, frittered it away before winning 6-3. Aho had 2 goals, Nino, Dzingel, Martinook and Hamilton had the others. The PP was on fire, scoring 3 times in 5 chances against one of the best PKs in the league. The PP is 5 for 7 in the last 2 games and is 6th at 23.7 The PK came within a few seconds of pitching a shutout, limiting the top PP team in the league to 1 for 5. The Canes are tied for 2nd at 85.3%. Everyone practiced yesterday, so there shouldn’t be any lineup changes.

Vancouver sits 5th in the Pacific with 34 points in 31 games. They’re 5-5 in their last 10 and lost their last time out, 4-1 to Toronto on Tuesday. Elias Peterson and JT Miller are both averaging at least a point per game, Miller has 13 goals, Peterson has 12 along with 21 assists. Brock Boesser isn’t far behind, with 11 goals and 28 points. Rookie Dman Quinn Hughes has 22 assists and 24 points with 15 points coming on the PP. We probably won’t see old friend Micheal Ferland tonight. He left the game on Tuesday with an upper body injury after playing only 4 minutes. He’s only played 14 games and missed all of November. Jacob Markstrom has played 19 games in goal and has decent numbers, 2.72/.912. Thatcher Demko backs him up and is at 3.00/.906. The Canucks and Canes are tied for 8th at 3.26 goals per game. They’re 17th in goals against at 3.03. It’s another game against a top PP unit, the Canucks are 3rd at 26.7%. Their PK is 14th at 81.7%.

Not that different than the last assignment, defensively. Different kinds of players, of course ... as Peterson, Hughes and Co. are nowhere near as hefty as Edmonton's top group. It's more quick, shifty stuff with this bunch, but make no mistake - if you fall asleep on a shift or two, the puck will end up in your net just the same. The biggest leap forward for the Canucks is that they're now halfway competent in their own end. The goaltending is better and the defensive organization is better as well. Buckle in if you stay up late for this one. Both teams move pretty fast, which should make for a fun watch.

I watched some of the Canucks/Leafs tilt Tuesday in between the Canes game...Vancouver was flat at home, I expect them to be better tonight.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Michael Markovic #47, Justin St.Pierre #12

Linesmen:
Scott Driscoll #68, Derek Nansen #70

Markovic will be working his 7th NHL game. He’s the rare official who calls the most penalties in the 3rd period, 48% of his penalties. Canes are 1-0 with St. Pierre this year after going 6-0 with him last year.

Michael Smith says same lines and pairs as Edmonton based on yesterday’s practice. Mrazek in goal.

FWIW, the Canucks recalled 20 year old goalie Michael DiPietro recently. Not sure what's up with either of their other two keepers.

We probably won’t see old friend Micheal Ferland tonight. He left the game on Tuesday with an upper body injury after playing only 4 minutes. He’s only played 14 games and missed all of November.
I am so thankful that we wised up on Ferland and allowed him to seek employment elsewhere. That could have been an awful contract had we signed him.

I am so thankful that we wised up on Ferland and allowed him to seek employment elsewhere. That could have been an awful contract had we signed him.
Yeah ... the $3.5 million cap hit isn't terrible, but Vancouver is on the hook for that contract through 2023 and he's increasingly fragile. Not to mention he hasn't been productive when healthy. Ferland has only managed 14 games so far, with one thin, lonely goal and four assists.

Well that period had no flow.. but we out shot them that period.. even when we were down a man (If I count correctly)

Screwed out of a goal by a quick whistle from the rookie ref, assuming possession that never happened on a delayed whistle.

Yeah I know I'm not used to it this way.. We didn't take advantage of our chances 0-0 after 40m.

Back