• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Caps 1/13 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes close out the season series in Washington.

With a win tonight, the Canes can win the season series for the first time in forever. The teams split a pair of games on the just concluded 7 game homestand with the Canes winning the first 6-4 before losing the 2nd 4-3, with a 3 goal 3rd period rally that fell short. A win would also tie the Isles on points for 3rd pending their game with the Rangers.

The Caps used the 4-3 win to start a 3 game winning streak. They’ve lost 2 straight since, to the Flyers and Devils. They’re 5-5 in their last 10 and have seen their division cut to 4 points. Coach Todd Reirden has already announced Ilya Samsonov as the starter. He was the first star in the 4-3 win, his only appearance against the Canes this season.

Big game for 2020...We've competed well against the Caps, so let's bring it tonight, boys!

Best part about this game is it's the last time in the regular season we all have to stomach both the filthy nature of the Caps play on the ice and their triggered fans who just seem to linger on every Canes online source imaginable spouting their nonsense. Last game they all jumped on DeCock, Chip and just about every other Canes related feed...I guess that Canes series win last year really left a lasting impression on them...

Best part about this game is it's the last time in the regular season we all have to stomach both the filthy nature of the Caps play on the ice and their triggered fans who just seem to linger on every Canes online source imaginable spouting their nonsense. Last game they all jumped on DeCock, Chip and just about every other Canes related feed...I guess that Canes series win last year really left a lasting impression on them...

And they're usually yelling "NOT OUR RIVAL LOL" at every opportunity. I mean, that's cool and all, but I would believe them more if they didn't have that on autoblast.

Michael Smith says same lineup as Saturday except Mrazek in goal. That probably means Reimer in Columbus on Thursday and Mrazek on Friday against the Ducks.

Look I get the Pens being their main rival. But nothing says you can only have one. Admittedly we haven't been to the playoffs enough to earn that from anyone

And they're usually yelling "NOT OUR RIVAL LOL" at every opportunity. I mean, that's cool and all, but I would believe them more if they didn't have that on autoblast.
Or if they actually had another rival that gave a crap about playing them. Pittsburgh Is the one the Caps fans seem to want, but that's a Sid versus Ovie thing, not a rivalry. Besides, the Pens have an actual rival in the Flyers. If Carolina hadn't wasted so many years wandering in blind mediocrity, I think that the heat we had with Washington back in the late 90s and early 00s would have turned this into a two-way street by now ... but, alas. We decided to suck for a decade instead.

For the record, I don't they're quite rivals yet. They need to have more playoff matchups and they need to be close. But the more that Caps fans yell that the teams are not rivals, the less likely I am to believe them, and they yell it a lot.

Meh ... even without the repeated playoff matchups, if the Canes stay relevant in the Division for 4-5 years then the Caps fans will start to act like the matchup matters. Like it or not, this franchise simply hasn't been competitive for a long enough stretch of time for anybody to really give a crap about playing against us ... other than other crappy teams like the late, not great and not missed in any way Thrashers.

Fans can say what they want, though. Those two teams freaking hate each other. That's enough for me.

At least that friggin “cherry picking” ovi didn’t get the hat trick. Boys better figure out quick how to score some damn goals.

Back