• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Flames 12/14 4:00

Dunderhead of a coach - truer words were never spoken.
How did the idiot keep coaching? Why did the canes then Calgary ever hire him?

Well, he came off the Babcock coaching tree which wasn’t known to have rot issues until well after Peters was hired by the Canes. But the Flames have no excuse, they should have seen what he accomplished as a head coach and run the other way as fast as they could.

Well, he came off the Babcock coaching tree which wasn’t known to have rot issues until well after Peters was hired by the Canes. But the Flames have no excuse, they should have seen what he accomplished as a head coach and run the other way as fast as they could.
Too lazy to look it up...but what is the performance of the Babcock coaching tree?

Yeah ... and of course, the Babcock "tree" is really a branch on the Scotty Bowman tree. And I'm not sure his is much better ... at least not in the modern era. He had Dave Lewis and Barry Smith (who both sucked) in Detroit for so long that he gets credit for guys like Babs who coached in the minors. Before that you can credit him with Roger Neilson and Craig Ramsay ... who were ... fine. He also put up with, I mean employed Pierre McGuire as an assistant, so there's that.

So... is there any NHL coach ever with what could be called an impressive tree? Or do the good ones seem to emerge from spontaneous generation?

So... is there any NHL coach ever with what could be called an impressive tree? Or do the good ones seem to emerge from spontaneous generation?
Ever is a really long time. I'm pretty sure that at some point in NHL history, half the coaches in the league had worked with Toe Blake at some point. That sounds impressive, but it would only be like 2 other guys, so ....

The bottom line, at least for me, is that "coaching trees" are ridiculously over-valued by those making coaching hires. Coaches with sometimes VERY thin resumes get hired because of the last coach they worked for with alarming regularity. I dare say the results, across all sports, simply don't support the practice.

Back