• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Panthers 10/8 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes head to south Florida to face the rebuilt Panthers.

Maybe they can win this in regulation? Only 2 teams have overcome a deficit and won their first 4 games. While a season opening winning streak would obviously be great, I’m not sure I can take another come from behind OT winner. The Canes didn’t practice yesterday, so it’s unlikely that TVR will play. A win tonight gives RBA 50, in 85 games, which would be the fastest to 50. Lavilette needed 96 games to notch 50 wins.

The Panthers haven’t played since Saturday. They opened the season with a home and home against Tampa, each team winning at home. Mike Hoffman has a hat trick giving him 4 goals on the season. The Panthers made a splash in free agency, singing Brett Connelly, Noel Acciari, Anton Stralman and, most significantly, Sergei Bobrovsky. Their problem last year wasn’t scoring; they finished 9th in goals scored. But they were 27th in goals against. While the top of the Atlantic Division might be out of reach, the Panthers could be in the mix for a wild card spot.

John, Tripp and Mike on Fox Sports Carolinas.

Oh boy here we go again, not a good feeling on this one for the Canes, trends be it as they may,...that being said my prediction, Canes 5 Cats 3. We'll go up two, they'll tie it and we'll dominate the third.
Go Canes.

With 3 emotional, come-from-behind wins, I'm a little worried that we might be due for a letdown. But on the other hand, I feel this team is solid enough and talented enough to put those wins behind us and focus on today.

I wonder if RBA lets Reimer have the start tonight against his old team? I'd like to see Aho get going with some points, that line has been buzzing with not much to show for it overall.

With 3 emotional, come-from-behind wins, I'm a little worried that we might be due for a letdown. But on the other hand, I feel this team is solid enough and talented enough to put those wins behind us and focus on today.

When I start to feel this way I try reminding myself that Aho, Svech, Turbo and Dzingle all haven't scored a goal yet and are due.

Florida is still a tough matchup for the Canes. If you'll recall, the boys played the Panthers a couple of time late last season and it was always like pulling nails to get past them. They have enough offense and enough size to make things difficult for anybody, and adding Bob to the mix won't make that easier. On the upside, it's a team built to physically punish in a league increasingly built for speed, and adding the ancient Stralman to that D didn't make it any better. That's a fairly cumbersome group and Carolina can make them work if they bring their skating boots.

I like the matchup, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Jean Hebert #15, Ian Walsh #29

Linesmen:
Pierre Racicot #65, Darren Gibbs #66

We had Walsh in the Tampa game so we’re 1-0 with him this year after 1-2 last year. Florida was 0-3 with him last year. The Canes were 3-2 with Hebert, Florida 2-5 last year. Hebert was 6th in the league with an average of 4 penalties per game. He’s also a relative outlier among his compatriots, he called a higher percentage of penalties in the 3rd period. Most refs call the most in the 2nd.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Jean Hebert #15, Ian Walsh #29

Linesmen:
Pierre Racicot #65, Darren Gibbs #66

We had Walsh in the Tampa game so we’re 1-0 with him this year after 1-2 last year. Florida was 0-3 with him last year. The Canes were 3-2 with Hebert, Florida 2-5 last year. Hebert was 6th in the league with an average of 4 penalties per game. He’s also a relative outlier among his compatriots, he called a higher percentage of penalties in the 3rd period. Most refs call the most in the 2nd.

Oh that's cool, are there sites for ref stats??

Oh that was nice, pan to the bench, Aho show's some frustration, Staal pats his knee. I am not worried about Aho at all. The dam WILL burst.

Dzingel gets his second of the night. 5-0. Assisted by Necas and Fleury.

No shutout... 5-1.

Last edited:
Back