• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Flames 10/29 7:00

While we're sort of on the subject of guys who miss the plot ... I thought Tkachuk was really selfish and hurt his team in the 3rd period last night. He was clearly trying to get physical nonsense started with the Canes defense all night, but he went over the line late ...presumably out of frustration. He took a very selfish retaliation penalty that cost them the 2nd Svech goal and the shift before that he hung around behind the play to go for a huge ... taking himself well out of position and leading directly to a couple of Grade A chances for the Canes. Everybody seems to love that kind of agitating player on their team but there's a line those guys have to walk. Young Tkachuk went over it more than once last night.

That's exactly the way I see it as well with Lindholm. The guy really seems to have a problem with the org and the market yet the Canes results on the ice speak for themselves when you see how better off the Canes have been since his departure. Lindholm is overrated for that lofty draft selection of fourth overall and the expectations never matched his output here, but Hanafin fits in the same boat, so all and all, that trade benefited the Canes and they never have looked back but apparently Lindholm likes to keep looking back. Lindholm and his give a damn meter never really registered often enough here so he deserves the chafing he takes from the fans.
Look ... Lindy is scoring in buckets for them, so the change of scenery clearly served him well. Why he's still pissy about it, I have no clue ... except to surmise that he's simply a guy with an inflated opinion of himself, which hardly makes him unique. I don't begrudge the guy his success, but he can take his attitude on a long walk.

Hanifin seems to have settled in nicely in Calgary. While I don't think the offensive side of his game is ever going to live up to his pre-draft billing, he's grown into a solid two way defenseman who still has some room to grow and will have a long career in the NHL. He's a nice player, he's just not a special player. Moving him out to add Dougie to the mix here was a no brainer.

Look ... Lindy is scoring in buckets for them, so the change of scenery clearly served him well. Why he's still pissy about it, I have no clue ...

I don't recall all of it from last year, but to hear him tell, we started it by booing him first:
https://calgarysun.com/sports/hocke...olm-wont-be-bothered-by-boo-birds-in-carolina

“If I look back, I don’t know if I would have done it,” Lindholm said Monday. “I was so fired up in that moment, and it just happened. If I could take it back, I probably would do it. But it happened and I can’t take it back.

“I was just so fired up. I got booed twice there and it wasn’t my fault — I didn’t want to leave and I got traded still. I didn’t try to force a trade. So overall, I would probably take it back, but it is what it is.”

...I didn’t want to leave and I got traded still. I didn't try to force a trade

Lindy might want to have a talk with his agent because I fully expect a substantial factor in his being dealt was the contract ask that his agent gave when the Canes went to negotiate a new deal.

So yeah, you might not have tried to force a trade Lindholm, but if you really really really wanted to stay, your agent blew it for you by asking for way more than the Canes were willing to pay and what you deserved based on your level of play. Frankly the Canes ended up way better for it in the end and Lindholm probably did too. But enough already Elias, you and your agent's contract demands was a huge factor it why you were shipped out of town.

Players have every right to try to maximize their dollars come contract time, but if that process results in you being dealt, you don't get to then whine about the fact that you really wanted to stay but got traded anyway. And I as a fan reserve the right to boo you whenever I feel like it (I don't boo any player for the record). Deserve has nothing to do with it for many fans.

Last edited:
Bottom line on Lindholm ... he asked for the kind of money that this franchise would have given him if he had every bothered to produce like a first line player. The Canes didn't believe he was worth that, so they shipped him to a team that was willing to pay him big hoping that he would come through. Far be it from me to tell another man how to handle his business, but in my world you don't get to hold a grudge for someone not believing in you when you've offered scant evidence that you care enough to step up. You made your money, you scored your goals ... who gives a crap what another team's fans think of you? Move on, son.

He’s a young kid who got booed and got his feelings hurt. Sure he played a role in it by not making it clear he wanted to be here through his effort, or through the message coming from his agent, and then by mocking the fans when he did come back. He will hopefully learn from this and be better for it.
At the same time. Brindy was familiar with Lindy, Hanifin, and Skinner and I think was perfectly happy to move on from them and probably anyone else if they weren’t ready to buy in 100%.

some portion of those 3 guys not buying in was limiting this team. You can’t have 3 key young guys you’re trying to build on being less than 100% committed. So far none of the 3 or Peters have shown that the Canes were wrong about those decisions.

Regarding Lucic I'm still shocked that the Oilers were able to trade him at all. much less to the Flames...

Honestly (regarding Lindholm) I may have been glad the fans got some retribution but that was due to the mocking (he's free to do such) he gave us last season.
But I don't wish him ill or anything and (for him to) have success EXCEPT when you play the Canes :)

We've rehashed this trade every time a piece of it comes back to visit... I remember Lindholm being an assist machine in the vein of Cory Stillman, but had issues scoring. If you look at his points from last year... 51 of them are assists. That's very Stillman or Francis-like, IMHO. The fact that he's got 8 goals and 2 assists in 14 games this year... well, I guess someone figured out that it's okay to shoot the puck sometimes.

Hanifin put up numbers similar to his All-Star season the previous year... five fewer goals, but one more total point and a +18. Tripp commented that it looks like his defensive play has improved some, which is a good sign, considering how out of place he looked at the All-Star Game in 2018.

On the Canes' side of the trade, we discussed the Adam Fox/Micheal Ferland repercussions over the summer, and Dougie Hamilton is currently the Canes' leader in points after 13 games. We'll see how the draft picks we got in the Fox trade pan out down the road.

Wish I didn’t get a Hanifin sweater.

I considered getting a McKegg t-shirt, partly because of his performance in the playoffs last year and partly because of the #42. Then he left, too.

On the Canes' side of the trade, we discussed the Adam Fox/Micheal Ferland repercussions over the summer, and Dougie Hamilton is currently the Canes' leader in points after 13 games. We'll see how the draft picks we got in the Fox trade pan out down the road.

Remember when we all sit down to do the math on that one to keep in mind that Carolina was VERY unlikely to have pursued Priskie if they had managed to sign Fox. So that needs to be factored in along with the draft picks ... when they eventually transact.

Back