• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT - Revenge of Maurice! Leafs @ Jets | 7PM EST CBC

He can't hit 20 goals again? He had 13 in 48 last year and had he played a full 82 game schedule he'd get 22, he had 19 goals in 69 games in 11/12 with the Wild had he played a full 82 he would have reached 23 goals.... so yes its entirely possible that he can get back to that pace again.

Re-read what I just said, I said he never made it to free agency, I said IF he did he easily would have gotten offers in the $8M range.

Yeah, I know what you said. It doesn't support your argument at all. Only way you get him for the 'discount' you prefer is by trading for him, in which case you're still giving up assets.

Top-tier UFA d-men do not sign for discounts on the open market. I'm still waiting for you to provide an example that supports your point.

To make it very clear for you, Phaneuf was not a UFA on the open market when he signed his contract. He is not an example of a top-tier UFA d-man on the open market signing for a discount.

Yes I would trade Franson for a draft pick/prospect, he's not the right fit for this team and we could use a 2nd rounder for sure. Yes his last 20 goal season was when he played with Thornton, however there is always that chance he could get back to the 20-25 goal mark, I'd buy low on him and hope the reward is a lot higher.

Similar odds of happening as me hooking up with Scarlett Johansson....none.

Yeah, I know what you said. It doesn't support your argument at all. Only way you get him for the 'discount' you prefer is by trading for him, in which case you're still giving up assets.

Top-tier UFA d-men do not sign for discounts on the open market. I'm still waiting for you to provide an example that support your point.

To make it very clear for you, Phaneuf was not a UFA on the open market when he signed his contract. He is not an example of a top-tier UFA d-man on the open market signing for a discount.

Here's one Letang signing with the Pens for $7.25M/season, could have gotten more but he took a discount to stay with the Pens.

Here's one Letang signing with the Pens for $7.25M/season, could have gotten more but he took a discount to stay with the Pens.

He was also not a UFA on the open market when he signed that contract. He had a year left on his contract.

And, both your attempted examples are of a player taking a discount to stay with their respective teams (i.e. re-signing, not signing with a new team).

So, good effort, but try again.

You want to let Raymond go, who is a cheaper, better player.

Why is 20 goals from a 1 dimensional bum something to cheer about?....that's assuming he refinds his 20 goal form

You want to let Raymond go, who is a cheaper, better player.

Why is 20 goals from a 1 dimensional bum something to cheer about?....that's assuming he refinds his 20 goal form

The reason I want Raymond to go is he's a small/speedy one dimensional guy who doesn't fit the team Nonis is trying to mould, I'll give him credit though for what he's being payed for this year he's living up his end of the bargain. Setogouchi at least does other things when he's not scoring.

says the guy who thinks Cody Franson's useless 1 season removed from a pretty good one.

I never said he's useless, I said he's not good defensively. He has his assets (point shot) but if the Leafs want to be a good defensive team, he's not the right player to have.

"He's not useless, but he only has one asset" I can say the same about Setoguchi.

When your role is a blueliner you better be able to defend in your own end, Franson struggles with it case in point the Wheeler goal last night, he let him just dance around him and then he made zero effort to get back to help stop the goal. Don't get me wrong he does bring assets to the table (point shot and he can be a decent first passer) but he struggles badly in his own end of the rink, Setogouchi may be flawed but hey if he can bring 20 goals or so to the 2nd or 3rd line there's nothing wrong with that.

Pronger, there's enough talent on this team to do very well so i don't think we need new players...As much i like Carlyle, i think he's making some mistakes with those line combinations. More balance needed and he made them better(by accident looks like) in that Boston game...Now we're back to having 1 scoring line and very little chemistry on the other ones.

Pronger, there's enough talent on this team to do very well so i don't think we need new players...As much i like Carlyle, i think he's making some mistakes with those line combinations. More balance needed and he made them better(by accident looks like) in that Boston game...Now we're back to having 1 scoring line and very little chemistry on the other ones.

The team is talented no doubt but I find that we don't have enough 2-way players on this roster. Yup, Carlyle has made some questionable calls this season with his lineups.

Girardi at a decent price would be a solid pick up. Considering how much better our defence has looked since adding Tim Gleason, i see Dan Girardi as an upgrade on Gleason.

Decent price is very subjective. I see something along the lines of Clarksons' contract. Good or bad, if he finds a home playing with Phaneuf i don't mind it.

Girardi at a decent price would be a solid pick up. Considering how much better our defence has looked since adding Tim Gleason, i see Dan Girardi as an upgrade on Gleason.

Decent price is very subjective. I see something along the lines of Clarksons' contract. Good or bad, if he finds a home playing with Phaneuf i don't mind it.

Yea the most I'd throw at him his a 5 year/25M deal and hope he accepts it. A defense of Phaneuf/Girardi, Gunnarsson/Rielly, Gleason/Gardiner looks like a pretty stacked and balanced one to me.

As opposed to girardi's steady growth from a 30 point all star to a 20 point guy that his team doesn't want to resign?

Back