• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Acquire Jake Allen

I dunno if that’s an issue at this stage of his career. He needs a competent back up to lower the burden.

Condensed schedule, how may back to backs next year?

I dunno if that’s an issue at this stage of his career. He needs a competent back up to lower the burden.

Condensed schedule, how may back to backs next year?

that’s a key point....and what if Price gets hurt? Team is in a playoff hunt and at least you have a more than capable goalie

last 3 years

Price: .910 in 173GP
Allen: .909 in 129GP

one of these guys makes 6m more than the other

4 years .913 vs .911

2 years .913 vs .913

and of course last year with Allen as a back up he was .927 vs price at a starter at .909

i guess MB was done hoping for a miracle with Price
i hope he can find some idiot GM to see Price this last playoffs and think...well maybe

now where is count to yell at me from when I wanted Dubnyk over Price....

Last edited:
Colorado is one Price away from a couple of cups. They have trade chips too. Too bad Bergevin won't do it.

This move likely means Habs re-sign RFA Michael McNiven this summer to a one-year deal and qualify him in a year - that’ll be the goalie exposed for the expansion draft

last 3 years

Price: .910 in 173GP
Allen: .909 in 129GP

one of these guys makes 6m more than the other

4 years .913 vs .911

2 years .913 vs .913

and of course last year with Allen as a back up he was .927 vs price at a starter at .909
I would also counter by saying look at the team defensive prowess of STL vs Habs - not only D but the entire Blues teams defensive acumen

Like most of MB’s trades it seems fine but if this is all he does this off-season then, like most of MB’’s off-seasons as our GM, it will be just another pointless move.

that is why i used save percentage and not GAA
Fair enough but still doesn’t account for Price likely having to make more high % saves vs Allen, since not all SOG are created equal...no? Would be interested in seeing what that relative comparison looks like of high % shots are taken into account

My thoughts on the Allen acquisition...

Cap hit is high, but the bonus is that the contract expires in 1 season.

The alternatives are either weak or will demand as much if not more + term:
Capture.JPG

There are a number of teams that will be looking for a starter or a solid 1/2 combo. I imagine that the 3rd rounder was the price to beat the rush.

The Habs currently have $14,007,858 in cap space with only Domi as the only significant roster player without a contract. That doesn't include any additional space recovered by buying out Alzner ($4.6M) or a deal including Lindgren ($750k).

Long story short, well worth the return IMO. Still work to be done, but I am happy to see MB getting an early start.

The splits are interesting, for the most part he didn't face too many offensive powerhouse teams, besides Edmonton, Vegas, and I guess Vancouver. But I'm especially nothing the difference of stats between Eastern or Western teams. Maybe we found our goalie for those dreaded Western trips.

The more I think on it the more I see why MB did it. There's no downside for him on the one year deal plus he gets to test out how the Habs respond to having two quality goalies. Hopefully Allen won't crap the bed like Niemi and Kinkaid.

Back