• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: Regular Season 2019-2020

I've always found it funny that the same people who keep going on and on about how leadership is so vitally important to team success are also the same ones that keep aping how Mark Messier is the greatest leader in hockey history without ever mentioning how he kept missing the playoffs with the highest payroll in hockey.

Adding one big leader to a team is like adding one big, tough player with some grit. Yeah, it's nice, but adding that one player doesn't mean that suddenly, a team void of toughness/leadership, the problem will disappear like a snap of the fingers. It can't just be "one guy".

So in a nutshell, leadership is important but it's importance if overstated? I would agree with that.

So in a nutshell, leadership is important but it's importance if overstated? I would agree with that.

Very, very overstated and frankly, completely overrated.

Give me a team with chemistry and I doubt you'll ever see "leadership problems".

Why is it that most teams name their top players the captain? Is it because they just so happen to be the best and most qualified leader on the team?

Very, very overstated and frankly, completely overrated.

Give me a team with chemistry and I doubt you'll ever see "leadership problems".

Why is it that most teams name their top players the captain? Is it because they just so happen to be the best and most qualified leader on the team?

Leadership is tied with chemistry. Leadership is having everyone push in the same direction. Which really when your the one pushing the hardest.

Leadership is tied with chemistry. Leadership is having everyone push in the same direction. Which really when your the one pushing the hardest.

Which is the same thing as team toughness. You gotta have players, big and small, willing to stand up for each other. Adding one tough guy won't change a thing if nobody wants to protect each other.

Which is the same thing as team toughness. You gotta have players, big and small, willing to stand up for each other. Adding one tough guy won't change a thing if nobody wants to protect each other.
Couldn't agree more.

So back to the Weber Vs MaxPac thing...

The notion that subtracting one player & adding one player, who is known for being a great leader, is going to radically change anything on a team is complete and utter bullshit.

The Charlatan claims that acquiring Weber "completely changed the culture". Well, we're four seasons in with Weber to lead us and we're about to miss the playoffs for the third time in a row, not to mention being completely impotent the one year we did make it in.

If that's "completely changing the culture" with the addition of one big leader, it sure looks like we've gotten the opposite direction of where we should be going.

(Then again, I've long stopped listening to what The Charlatan says publicly.)

Changing the culture and having a player that keeps the group tight and show young players how to be a pro is valuable. However how this translates to wins is a whole different matter.

Rangers started doing a better job of unloading assets and will do it again with Kreider

They had more expiring contracts than we did, more desirable players. We've pretty much unloaded everyone who's contract was about to expire as well, minus maybe Benn.

In the same period of time the Rangers traded Nash, McDonagh, JT Miller, Grabner, Zuccarello, Hayes and Vesey.
We traded Plekanec, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Shaw, Mitchell and Deslauriers. Not sure who else we could have realistically traded. It's going to be interesting to see what we do with Tatar and Petry. I'm expecting both to be traded in 2020.

They had more expiring contracts than we did, more desirable players. We've pretty much unloaded everyone who's contract was about to expire as well, minus maybe Benn.

In the same period of time the Rangers traded Nash, McDonagh, JT Miller, Grabner, Zuccarello, Hayes and Vesey.
We traded Plekanec, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Shaw, Mitchell and Deslauriers. Not sure who else we could have realistically traded. It's going to be interesting to see what we do with Tatar and Petry. I'm expecting both to be traded in 2020.

Good post should be an interesting 5 weeks for us

Good post should be an interesting 5 weeks for us

More like 6 months. I'm not expecting a lot at the trade deadline but we need to have a plan for Gallagher, Danault, Petry, Arnia and Tatar, who will all be UFAs next year, and Lehkonen and KK hitting RFAs as well. If we can't extend Gallagher this summer, we should consider trading him.

Last edited:
I've always found it funny that the same people who keep going on and on about how leadership is so vitally important to team success are also the same ones that keep aping how Mark Messier is the greatest leader in hockey history without ever mentioning how he kept missing the playoffs with the highest payroll in hockey.

Adding one big leader to a team is like adding one big, tough player with some grit. Yeah, it's nice, but adding that one player doesn't mean that suddenly, a team void of toughness/leadership, the problem will disappear like a snap of the fingers. It can't just be "one guy".

I have always said that Messier was overrated as a "leader", having said that , he did help the Oil and Rangers win the cup.. I also think that leadership is very important on a team, no different than the importance of chemistry. Leadership comes in many forms.. it is unfair in my opinion to cut a player's leadership abilities if he has a shit team to lead.. or the coach is not giving that player or players the tools to lead, just look at the leafs this year, or the blues last year, coach change and voila, lots of variables in winning, leadership plays a big part..

Аrpon Basu Verified account @ArponBasu

Chiarot confirmed in tonight by Julien, Weal is in for Peca. Julien has no update on Brendan Gallagher other than he’s resting. Would not confirm if his symptoms are concussion related or not.

Back