• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hey Nerds: Blockchain

Took some SPY profits -- now need to see ES crack 3000 to about 2990 for some sweet weekend money

Quick question.. And remember: this is a safe thread for those who speak their mind. No judgment given. Are you a Trump fan?

Isn't this like asking how much you make on your daily trades in general?

Nah, I'm not a Trump fan. I'm a Republican sympathizer with the exception of their take on guns and abortion. My top concern is fiscal and tax policy when it comes to government, and feel that society generally works out social issues regardless of what the current administration intends to put into place (as we see happening right now). I thought Trump was going to win (and predicted it here back then) and was looking forward to it frankly because I wanted a business guy to step in, bring in top advisors, and clean the shit out of the corrupt, broken, redundant government machine. Unfortunately things did not go as hoped. I wanted the same thing when Romney was running, so it would've been much better if he'd have won and would now be finishing off his eight years, but he lost his credibility with his antics relating to Trump, so I think he's a clown now too.

I'm down with the Democrats socially, but just can't stand their one solution to every problem - taxes. Nor am I fond of the extreme push to the far left that the party has been gradually taking. They push just as much to one extreme as the right has been pushing to the other.

Consequently, there is no party for me here. If I voted (and I never have since I'm not a citizen yet), I'd vote Republican, but fuck Trump and his big dumb mouth would make that incredibly hard to do this year. Biden is an almost equally terrible choice. I may actually have citizenship when November rolls around, but I think I'd sit it out, especially since California is a foregone conclusion.

Isn't this like asking how much you make on your daily trades in general?
As Chris Rock once said, white people have no problem telling each other about their sex life and their fetishes and all sorts of wacky shit. But as soon as you mention politics it's all "Oh no no no that's private man." I've always found that weird. It's one of the things that stuck with me from one of his old specials.

Anyway you have the right to your opinion but the only thing I laughed at was when you called Trump a business man. Although in fairness you didn't say "successful" business man so technically calling him a business man is accurate.

I thought Trump was going to win (and predicted it here back then) and was looking forward to it frankly because I wanted a business guy to step in, bring in top advisors, and clean the shit out of the corrupt, broken, redundant government machine. Unfortunately things did not go as hoped. I wanted the same thing when Romney was running, so it would've been much better if he'd have won and would now be finishing off his eight years, but he lost his credibility with his antics relating to Trump, so I think he's a clown now too.

LOL.

Trump has bankrupted every business he's ever touched.
He has never had a working relationship with any colleague that could be viewed as a "top advisor".

Those two giant red flags were painfully obvious for decades...

As Chris Rock once said, white people have no problem telling each other about their sex life and their fetishes and all sorts of wacky shit. But as soon as you mention politics it's all "Oh no no no that's private man." I've always found that weird. It's one of the things that stuck with me from one of his old specials.

Anyway you have the right to your opinion but the only thing I laughed at was when you called Trump a business man. Although in fairness you didn't say "successful" business man so technically calling him a business man is accurate.

I honestly almost put it in quotes - "businessman". But the point was, not a politician. Maybe a guy who was going to bring in top guys and let them do the work with the mandate that they had to clean shit up. But it didn't exactly go that way.

I honestly almost put it in quotes - "businessman". But the point was, not a politician. Maybe a guy who was going to bring in top guys and let them do the work with the mandate that they had to clean shit up. But it didn't exactly go that way.
Problem is, he's bad at the one thing he is supposed to be good for; his business acumen. He has no other talents/skills or abilities to qualify him to run a country successfully. On top of that, he's a hall of fame level narcissist whose only goal his entire life was to promote himself and make himself look good. This was never going to end well.

Follow up question for LOF; when did you first sour on Dotard?

I can't even remember anymore. The last four years feel like one long day where everything bad that could happen, did. But for me, if I try to think of the first time I thought "fuck that guy already" was probably with his tax reforms that fucked CA and NY harder than any democrat could've ever hoped to do in their wildest dreams. And here was a dickhead Republican doing it for them. Obviously, I thought he was a classless buffoon from the beginning, but in terms of his first meaningful, actually feel it in my own life move, that was it, and from there all bets were off.

Problem is, he's bad at the one thing he is supposed to be good for; his business acumen. He has no other talents/skills or abilities to qualify him to run a country successfully. On top of that, he's a hall of fame level narcissist whose only goal his entire life was to promote himself and make himself look good. This was never going to end well.

I don't disagree with a number of his moves to be honest, but it's the way he goes about them, and the grenades he chucks into the media every day over his petty bullshit. The democrats haven't given the guy a minute to breathe since he took office, and in turn he's been giving them ammo with every breath he does manage to take. Just a clusterfuck beyond clusterfuck situation.

I wanted a business guy to step in, bring in top advisors, and clean the shit out of the corrupt, broken, redundant government machine.

The problem here (and it's a pervasive thought, so I'm not exactly singling you out) is that this is bad logic, or at minimum a bad analogy. Government and a business can't operate similarly because the goals simply can't align if you're doing either of them properly.

The goal of any business is to maximize short term profit. The goal of a government should be to maximize the well being of it's citizens. Those aren't goals that can co exist peacefully because in a whole fuckton of cases, maximizing the dollars in a citizens pocket at the expense of quality services, decreases their standard of living significantly. Attached to that, measuring the well being of a business is easy...balance sheet. Measuring the well being of a society is far more difficult and nebulous. Is a relatively rich populace with poor healthcare outcomes and poor reported happiness a better society than one with less disposable income but better health care outcomes and high reported "happiness"?

Wanting government to run efficiently while delivering services that provide higher quality of life for it's citizens is a worthy goal, expecting someone who is a good "businessman" to be able to achieve that by emulating high end business practices is asking for a bad time.

Well he certainly owned the libs, which I believe was his and his supporters' goal in the first place. So mission accomplished.

The problem here (and it's a pervasive thought, so I'm not exactly singling you out) is that this is bad logic, or at minimum a bad analogy. Government and a business can't operate similarly because the goals simply can't align if you're doing either of them properly.

The goal of any business is to maximize short term profit. The goal of a government should be to maximize the well being of it's citizens. Those aren't goals that can co exist peacefully because in a whole fuckton of cases, maximizing the dollars in a citizens pocket at the expense of quality services, decreases their standard of living significantly. Attached to that, measuring the well being of a business is easy...balance sheet. Measuring the well being of a society is far more difficult and nebulous. Is a relatively rich populace with poor healthcare outcomes and poor reported happiness a better society than one with less disposable income but better health care outcomes and high reported "happiness"?

Wanting government to run efficiently while delivering services that provide higher quality of life for it's citizens is a worthy goal, expecting someone who is a good "businessman" to be able to achieve that by emulating high end business practices is asking for a bad time.

I'm not posting in the other threads for a reason, ME. I don't know why Preston even asked the question here. I really don't want to have any more conversations about this stuff. I think a lot of what I see in the threads is ignorant and naive garbage that people find easy to philosophize about with strangers online because it makes them sound good and feel good, and because none of it fucking actually affects them anyway. In my perfect world, some accomplished business industry leader takes the presidency, identifies all the inefficiencies in government, flushes it all out over the course of eight years, and turns the government into the minimalist well-oiled machine the founding fathers intended it to be. Anyway, that's my final word on the subject.

ie Private Prisons -- great for shareholders; not so great for society

Back