• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

La Standings Reale

zeke

What an absolute trash heap of a division the Pacific is.

Not ONE pacific team would even be in playoff position in ANY other division.

That's crazy.

aniablue

I wasn't old enough to see Beliveau in his prime. I loved Espo for carrying the country on his back along with Henderson and beating the Soviets.

Of course Bobby Clarke tomahawking the best forward I had ever seen(kharlamov) helped out tremendously as well.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
The Habs tried hard to lose last night, they even kicked a goal into their own net to have Ottawa tie it up but alas Kovalchuk finally paid dividends for them. That's one point in the standings attributed to him. 4 points in 4 games.

As I mentioned in our GDT, last night was the unstoppable force of suckage meeting the immovable object of hardened turd. You decide which team was which. Boring game until the OT.

Need to lose more before players get healthy.

JackBurton

I love how fucked Montreal is. Also I am wondering why I am hearing Julien should be fired. This is not his fault. And good luck finding a better french speaking coach.

Habsy

Where are you hearing that?

Julien shouldn't be fired, not this season anyway. This season has proven a few things to the layman fan...

1) Montreal is not a deep team. Yes they have key injuries but if you lose a guy like Drouin for 28 games and only win 8 of those? Yeah, your roster is flawed. Once they lost starters like Drouin, Armia, Gallagher, Byron etc they just kept blowing leads. This is not on Julien, it's on Bergevin/Molson.

2) Carey Price is not good enough anymore to cover up for the incredibly bad team in front of him. When he was younger he had season where he could mask the crappy team up front but those days are long gone, at $10.5M. I am not blaming Price for the Habs suckage, like Julien he's being expected to turn shit into gold.

3) The Habs need to be sellers. They need to field offers for Tatar (who is still having a good year by his standards), Petry and if they can get a ransom for Weber (who is also having a great year)? You trade him too. How do you appease fans? With the draft in Montreal you snag as many firsts as you can and let them have fun this summer.

4) Bergevin is making minor tweaks during these injuries to feign the appearance of trying to do something. Oh look, he picked up Scandella and Kovalchuk out of the bargain bin, he's really trying!

5) If Hab fans want a shot at a decent team within the next 2-3 years, they need to get a top 2 pick this year. Lafreniere or Byfield would go a long way towards that goal. Fans shouldn't be calling for firings or changes because this current regime is the best shot they have at a high pick. The real concern is allowing this regime to make those picks this summer. The Habs always seem to **** up their first rounders under Bergevin.

I heard Galley saying that the Habs could still make the playoffs by going 27-11 or something like that and they need to get going. If anyone ever doubted just how big a moron Galley is, they should stop doubting. As an aside, does this guy ever shut up? He is so banal in his commentary that it ruins the game. I have to switch to the French telecast often, usually when the wife gets tired of watching the game and leaves the room. Galley is just that bad.

GEEMAN

Julien shouldn't be fired, not this season anyway. This season has proven a few things to the layman fan...

1) Montreal is not a deep team. Yes they have key injuries but if you lose a guy like Drouin for 28 games and only win 8 of those? Yeah, your roster is flawed. Once they lost starters like Drouin, Armia, Gallagher, Byron etc they just kept blowing leads. This is not on Julien, it's on Bergevin/Molson.

2) Carey Price is not good enough anymore to cover up for the incredibly bad team in front of him. When he was younger he had season where he could mask the crappy team up front but those days are long gone, at $10.5M. I am not blaming Price for the Habs suckage, like Julien he's being expected to turn shit into gold.

3) The Habs need to be sellers. They need to field offers for Tatar (who is still having a good year by his standards), Petry and if they can get a ransom for Weber (who is also having a great year)? You trade him too. How do you appease fans? With the draft in Montreal you snag as many firsts as you can and let them have fun this summer.

4) Bergevin is making minor tweaks during these injuries to feign the appearance of trying to do something. Oh look, he picked up Scandella and Kovalchuk out of the bargain bin, he's really trying!

5) If Hab fans want a shot at a decent team within the next 2-3 years, they need to get a top 2 pick this year. Lafreniere or Byfield would go a long way towards that goal. Fans shouldn't be calling for firings or changes because this current regime is the best shot they have at a high pick. The real concern is allowing this regime to make those picks this summer. The Habs always seem to **** up their first rounders under Bergevin.

I heard Galley saying that the Habs could still make the playoffs by going 27-11 or something like that and they need to get going. If anyone ever doubted just how big a moron Galley is, they should stop doubting. As an aside, does this guy ever shut up? He is so banal in his commentary that it ruins the game. I have to switch to the French telecast often, usually when the wife gets tired of watching the game and leaves the room. Galley is just that bad.
Solid post , still fuming why we handed 31 that ridiculous contract , DISASTER FROM DAY 1

LeafGm

I'd dispute your point that the current management team needs to be left in place to ensure that Montreal's bad and you get high picks. Because like you note, bad management have a tendency to make bad draft picks.

What the Habs really need to do is take Bergevin, his entire front office, his entire scouting staff and his entire development staff, line them up against a wall and then blast them with a T-shirt cannon that's stuffed with pink slips.

Then bring in good management that'll spend the next few years carefully deconstructing Bergevin's roster for the best possible returns and least possible long-term negative cap impact, while completely rebuilding your scouting and development from the ground up.

Habsy

That is conventional thinking yes. What I do believe is that Bergevin is now trying to tank discreetly. Make just enough moves to appease the layman and chug along until the summer. As I alluded to in my post, I would retain everyone until April 5th. After the regular season you fire the regime but keep Julien. 2.5 months is enough time for a new GM to assess the draft based on the Habs position.

While that is what I would do, I do believe Bergevin is following orders from Molson. He's not allowed to flat out tank it, even though that is exactly what they need. There is really no point in firing Bergevin right now, it won't change a thing because of Molson.

leaffan2005

It's too bad. I don't have the same hate for the Habs as I do for the Senators and the Bruins and enjoy the city of Montreal far more than most cities. Just fucking tank and be respectable again so we can get a Toronto/Montreal matchup once in my lifetime. As of now the Leafs/Lightning/Bruins will be top-three in the division for the foreseeable future and don't really see that changing anytime soon.

LeafGm

Your know that things are getting bad for the Habs when I want to cheer against them totally bottoming out and then getting Lafreniere in the draft lottery, but then this is how I end up feeling instead:

GEEMAN

That is conventional thinking yes. What I do believe is that Bergevin is now trying to tank discreetly. Make just enough moves to appease the layman and chug along until the summer. As I alluded to in my post, I would retain everyone until April 5th. After the regular season you fire the regime but keep Julien. 2.5 months is enough time for a new GM to assess the draft based on the Habs position.

While that is what I would do, I do believe Bergevin is following orders from Molson. He's not allowed to flat out tank it, even though that is exactly what they need. There is really no point in firing Bergevin right now, it won't change a thing because of Molson.
Who is the new GM

zeke

You guys really have to stop pretending losing the likes of drouin and armia and byron is significant. That's Bergevin thinking.

Habsy

They are heads and shoulders above their replacements. That is the issue. There is no denying the Habs are better with a complete lineup than they are right now. Contender for the cup? No, I agree there but to say it’s not significant is just ridiculous.