• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

La Standings Reale

BeLeafer

resurrected
Not a rumour so much as speculation but Lehner is by no means committed to staying in Chicago. Might be available in a trade.

Depending on how he might perform down the stretch and into the playoffs, they could then unload Fred in a trade and sign Lehner longer-term (though nothing nuts like recent UFA goalie deals). Without Fred, the Leafs would have $19MM in capspace for 1 goalie, backup and the blueline slots/RFAs. I guess it comes down to what Lehner would want as a UFA ... which you could probably find out before a trade.

He's probably just a rental but needed.

LeafGm

Pretty incredible that Freddie will be headed to the all-star game when he's been below-average to terrible in three out of four months so far this season. Just goes to show how forgiving it is playing goal in Toronto.

But the fact of the matter is, with Babcock gone, Freddie is the one remaining fatal flaw on this team in a key position. I mean, Marincin & Ceci are hot garbage too, but they're just our bottom-pair, and we have ready-to-go upgrades in Sandin & Lilly. But we've got no solution in net.

So yeah, if Chicago decides they're out of it (which they are) and that they don't like their odds of re-signing Lehner long-term, he'd be my #1 target. As long as Ceci's $4.5M was going back the other way as cap ballast, you could fit him under your cap this season.

You could even keep the Freddie-loving fanbase calm by claiming the move is to give Freddie "rest" down the stretch. But in reality, you end up going with whoever is the hottest hand going in to the playoffs, and if it's Freddie, you pull the plug on him at the first sign of trouble.

BeLeafer

resurrected
Chicago might bite on a 1 for 1 Fred - Lehner deal. Not great for the Leafs without a solid backup option. However, we've had lots of experience with bringing in a new #1 guy and what happens to the former ... ugly (Potvin, Raycroft, Reimer). So, maybe best to unload Fred at the same time.

hockeylover

Next 10...

vs Calgary
vs Chicago
@ Nashville
@ Dallas
vs Ottawa
vs Florida
@ NY Rangers
vs Anaheim
@ Montreal
vs Arizona

hockeylover

Only one team there higher than us in the REAL Standings.

Might be able to withstand the loss of Muzzin and Rielly here. Need some saves though.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
So Kovalchuk is now directly responsible for 3 points in the standings. This was my concern, that he’d show up with something to prove. 7 pts in 7 games doesn’t help the tank.

hockeylover

I really think these teams that can't decide on a clear direction doom themselves to total mediocrity. They try to do two things at once and manage to fail at both. Montreal's one of those teams for me.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
I really think these teams that can't decide on a clear direction doom themselves to total mediocrity. They try to do two things at once and manage to fail at both. Montreal's one of those teams for me.
We didn't start to sort our shit out until our management made a clear decision to tank. Had we not landed Matthews in the draft, I'm convinced that we would have extended that tank another year or two. It was necessary.