• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs acquire Jack Campbell and Kyle Clifford

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
From the Athletic

5. The Leafs’ playoff chances jumped up five percentage points after the deal thanks mostly to what for now appears to be a large upgrade in net. Time will tell if Campbell can live up to that, but my model is a fan mostly due to his efforts last season.

Toronto also added the rugged Kyle Clifford who looks like a modest (we’re talking a 0.2 win difference) upgrade over Trevor Moore. He adds a physical element to the team and while he’ll look a bit out of place on a team full of skilled players, Clifford makes out as a decent fourth-liner that can push play in the right direction. He has a 55 percent expected goals rate this season.

Artnes

Hard not to like this guy already

Clifford had told team officials in no uncertain terms, he wanted to be a member of the LA Kings and was going to do everything in his power to make it happen come Draft day,
Los Angeles was scheduled to pick fifth in the second round. Right in front of them were the Atlanta Thrashers, one of several teams also believed to be heavily interested in the second-year OHL forward, as well.
Even so, Clifford did everything he could to push other teams away, including telling a scout from the Thrashers that he would throw him through a window during one of their pre-draft interviews. Just like he is today, Clifford was focused on a goal and he was determined to make sure nobody got in his way.

LeafOfFaith

That's pretty weird behavior actually. Why the obsession with the Kings first of all? And then basically acting like Eric Lindros except that he was slated to go in the second round.

Kritter

Great move.
Had to be done... Stevie Wonder could see this team was fucked without an upgrade in nets.
The fact that Vegas bumped us up 5% to make the playoffs this late in the season for upgrading the back up goalie tells just how much of a hole that was.
And if Clifford is a little bat shit crazy, then all the better.

LeafOfFaith

Well, I mean, what else are we supposed to go by until he suits up for a game?

He just looks like one of these slow plugger types with a puny shot. This kinda skillset doesn't really fit with us anymore, if that's what he brings to the table.

LeafOfFaith

Data is nice and all for a fourth liner on a terrible team, and if his corsi gives you guys erections, that's great. But the Leafs aren't the Kings, we're a fast skilled team, and an old school plugger sandpaper guy who can't move very well isn't going to necessarily fit in with what he have.

Preston

Data is nice and all for a fourth liner on a terrible team, and if his corsi gives you guys erections, that's great. But the Leafs aren't the Kings, we're a fast skilled team, and an old school plugger sandpaper guy who can't move very well isn't going to necessarily fit in with what he have.
Okay. You do youtube. I'll do data.

Volcanologist

And Dubas, who built the fast skilled team, wanted Clifford and thinks he does fit with what we have.

LeafOfFaith

You mean with our other super fast 4th liners like Spezza, Goat and Tima?
That's exactly it. Spezza is slow (and I'm still not a fan), Clifford is slow. Goat and Tima can move actually, but the other two guys are going to be penciled in so the line just got more immobile. Heck, the board is always talking about skill and speed over the bulk and brawn guys, and this guy definitely fits in the latter category.

LeafGm

Hilarious that you're still shitting on Spezza in a 4th line role at this point.

Maybe you'd rather have Shore or Lindholm back in that role?

LeafOfFaith

And Dubas, who built the fast skilled team, wanted Clifford and thinks he does fit with what we have.
Like I said, I'm not familiar with him. Even all of the Kings games I've gone to over the years, I've never noticed him at all.

Hope Dubey is right about him, and naturally I'd love to see him crush some Marchand when needed.