• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Draft Discussion Thread!

Putting on my GLG face...

But Quinn was the worst thing for this organization since Antropov was drafted. He can't compete with JFJ!

Also...I hang out with Fester the Molester and molest little boys at the ACC.

Or they could just ask Quinn who he'd pick.
They don't even have to ask him. Just put the names of all the big, hulking, slow-footed players in this draft into a hat and pull one out.

Voila.

Last edited:

They don't even have to ask him. Just put the names of all the big, hulking, slow-footed players in this draft into a hat and pull one out.

Voila.
I guess that explains guys like Boyes, Colaiacovo, Wellwood, White, Steen, Stajan, Kronwall and Williams ... eh?

I guess that explains guys like Boyes, Colaiacovo, Wellwood, White, Steen, Stajan, Kronwall and Williams ... eh?
It was a joke...

But in all honesty, I feel more comfortable with JFJ at the draft table than Quinn. Drafting appears to be one of JFJ's (few) strengths...

And as for Wellwood, White and Williams... yeah, those picks look good now in retrospect, but there's no way in hell Quinn (or any other GM) knew the league would open up as it has with the post-lockout rule changes. Under the old rules those three would be hard pressed to crack an NHL lineup, which is largely why they were drafted as late as they were.

Last edited:

It was a joke...

But in all honesty, I feel more comfortable with JFJ at the draft table than Quinn. Drafting appears to be one of JFJ's (few) strengths...
Fair enough ... just remember to put a smile thing in there for those of us not so swift on the sarcasm.

It's always hard to say at this stage. Someone mentioned yesterday that he's we've yet to see a single Junior draftee play an NHL game after four years. That's not too impressive, but it's also the outcome of stupidly trading away a lot of picks.

At the same time, Junior's drafts only really begin in earnest in 2005 or 06, as Trapp and other Quinn guys were still largely running that end of things.

There's a few that look to have some promise, but it's still too early to tell.

Someone = me.

But JFJ's issue has been trading away picks at the moment.

That's right ... sorry about the weak memory.

Yeah, the big problem is trading away the picks.

At the same time, just about everything this guy touches turns to shit, so be prepared for some disappointments on the draft front.

Fair enough ... just remember to put a smile thing in there for those of us not so swift on the sarcasm.

It's always hard to say at this stage. Someone mentioned yesterday that he's we've yet to see a single Junior draftee play an NHL game after four years. That's not too impressive, but it's also the outcome of stupidly trading away a lot of picks.

At the same time, Junior's drafts only really begin in earnest in 2005 or 06, as Trapp and other Quinn guys were still largely running that end of things.

There's a few that look to have some promise, but it's still too early to tell.
Yeah, I believe JFJ's first draft where he had full control was '05, where he drafted Rask and the-player-everyone's-talking-about, Stralman.

Stralman looks like a classic diamond in the rough, late rounder.

Yeah, I rip into JFJ for anything I can possibly rip into him for, but the jury's still out on his drafting. He's picked up a couple of guys with later picks (Stralman and Kulemin) that look like they could turn out to be real gems, so that's one of the very few things he has going for him.

And then onto a question for next year's draft...is John Tavares available in the 2008 draft, or the 2009 draft? Because if we have to suffer through another year of JFJ, Raycroft and the same 'ole gang, it might actually be worth suffering through a miserable season if it means we might get a shot at Tavares next year.

John Tavares is a 2009 - I know, crazy. The 2009 draft, while a ways away is supposed to be phenomenal. There's this defenseman in Sweden who's getting a lot of attention; I think his name is Victor Hedman. His brother, Oscar, is a Washington pick.

Notable 2008 eligible guys are Drew Doughty, Michael Del Zotto, Steven Stamkos.

Yeah, I rip into JFJ for anything I can possibly rip into him for, but the jury's still out on his drafting. He's picked up a couple of guys with later picks (Stralman and Kulemin) that look like they could turn out to be real gems though, so that's one of the very few things he has going for him.

I don't know who to give credit to. The Stralman pick was with JFJ as GM of course, but as far as I know, Barry Trapp was still the head of amateur scouting that year and he's a Quinn guy. Now Kulemin is a Dave Morrison pick, who JFJ made head of scouting. Kulemin has had a TERRIFIC year. James Reimer had a good season too I believe. We'll see how it all plays out I guess.

Last edited:

Ahh, that sucks then. I'd rather not be a basement team for two more years, but you never know with the people we've got right now....

It doesn't matter, I bet we wouldn't get the 1st overall pick even if we did tank it. This team is cursed enough to get screwed by the lottery.

I want that last Staal brother....badly.

Not only will he most likely be talented...but his brothers might want to come over to play with him in Toronto (it could happen down the road).

I've read that the quote saying Jarred Staal was the best of the brothers was a misquote, and the guy was actually talking about Jordan. It would make sense seeing as how Jerred scored like 6 points in the OHL this year, and Jordan is probably the most talented one of the first three.

As far as the draft goes, I say go Zach Hamill. Other than the obvious guys at the top, he is by far the most prolific offensive talent that will be available to the Leafs (Unless Espo falls). He may have question marks, but this team needs to take a chance on a guy like that.

I heard Jared didn't get any ice time this year although I'm not sure if that was more due to not earning it or more due to them having a pretty good squad. Either way, I think he might get more minutes/responsibility next year so we'll see how he handles it. I heard the same thing as Leafman - that "the youngest one is the best" quote was actually meant for Jordan.

He's a 2008 draft eligible IIRC.

I can see Jordan becoming the best (although I haven't seen much of Marc). Jordan will likely win a Selke trophy very shortly. Not only does he have great offensive talent, but he is *so* defensively aware that it's hard to believe he's under 20. Most 10+ year veterans don't have the defensive awareness that Jordan has shown in his rookie year.

The Staal's have good hockey genes. I bet Jared turns out to be at least a dependable 2nd/3rd liner.

Last edited:

I think Quinn had some aforeknowledge of the NHL opening things up. I think he mentioned on a few occasions.

Back