• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

BG

In case you didn't already hear it 100 times during the draft, Robertson was also born prematurely on Sept 11, 2001.

BeLeafer

resurrected
I never got around to posting a season-ending prospect update, so I thought I'd put one together now and include the guys we added in this year's draft. So, we'll start with all the additions and subtractions from our prospect pool since the end of last season:

Out:

G Eamon McAdam (acquired for Matt Martin, not re-signed)
F Michael Carcone (acquired for Josh Leivo, traded to Ottawa in Brown/Zaitsev/Ceci deal)
F Gabriel Gagne (acquired for Morgan Klimchuk, not re-signed)
F Ryan McGregor (6th round pick in 2017, not signed)
F Dakota Joshua (5th round pick in 2014, traded to STL for future considerations)
D Calle Rosen (UFA signing, traded in Kadri/Barrie deal)
D Andreas Borgman (UFA signing, traded for Jordan Schmaltz)
D Fedor Gordeev (5th round pick in 2017, traded to Minnesota for 2020 7th round pick)
D Jordan Subban (UFA signing, not re-signed)

IN:

F Ilya Mikheyev (UFA signing)
F Aaron Luchuk (acquired from Ottawa in Brown/Zaitsev/Ceci deal)
F Nick Robertson (2nd round pick, 2019)
F Mikhail Abramov (4th round pick, 2019)
F Nick Abruzzese (4th round pick, 2019)
D Teemu Kivihalme (UFA signing)
D Mikko Kokkonen (3rd round pick, 2019)
D Mike Koster (5th round pick, 2019)
D Kalle Loponen (7th round pick, 2019)
F Justin Brazeau (AHL signing -- do these count?)

Potential (huge) late bloomer forward, second in OHL in pts last year (OA).

LeafGm

F Justin Brazeau (AHL signing -- do these count?)

Potential (huge) late bloomer forward, second in OHL in pts last year (OA).

I keep my list limited to players who are Leaf property---which would be players who are either signed to NHL deals or unsigned players who's NHL rights are currently owned by the Leafs (usually through the draft or trade).

Since Brazeau is only signed to an AHL deal with the Marlies and is technically free to sign with any NHL team, he doesn't make the cut. Though I agree he'll be an interesting one to watch, and if and when the Leafs sign him to an ELC, I'll add him to the list.

BeLeafer

resurrected
I keep my list limited to players who are Leaf property---which would be players who are either signed to NHL deals or unsigned players who's NHL rights are currently owned by the Leafs (usually through the draft or trade).

Since Brazeau is only signed to an AHL deal with the Marlies and is technically free to sign with any NHL team, he doesn't make the cut. Though I agree he'll be an interesting one to watch, and if and when the Leafs sign him to an ELC, I'll add him to the list.
Thanks for clarifying. Makes sense. He's a good candiate for an ELC this year.

zeke

showed soft hands in the game-in-6 video from yesterday's rookie game.

hopefully barb can teach him to skate.

BeLeafer

resurrected
Wheeler wrote a very good in-depth piece about him in the summer. It's an interesting story in terms of his development. He grew up in the north and only had access to hockey rinks for about 6 months of the year. The vast majority of NHLers skate year round as youngsters.

BeLeafer

resurrected
Funny how every team Keefe coaches, even one slapped together for a short tournament, looks more organized than Babcock's Leafs.

BeLeafer

resurrected
Can someone explain the benefits to signing guys like Robertson and SDA so quickly after the draft? I can see how it's a motivational/employee relations tool but not sure what other benefits there may be.

Doesn't this now put them at their contract limit?

LeafGm

Can someone explain the benefits to signing guys like Robertson and SDA so quickly after the draft? I can see how it's a motivational/employee relations tool but not sure what other benefits there may be.

Doesn't this now put them at their contract limit?

As far as the contract limits go, there's a loophole for CHL players. If you're signed to an ELC but you're with a CHL team, you don't count against the 50-contract limit. They would only count if the Leafs added them to their active roster at the conclusion of the CHL seasons.

As for the benefit of signing them quickly---I'd guess that mostly comes down to cap hit/bonuses.

If you wait until they've lit it up in the CHL for a year or two after you've drafted them, then they're going to be able to demand a higher salary and performance bonuses. Especially if the team also has the pressure of signing them before their rights expire and they go back in the draft.

And for the foreseeable future, every penny counts for the Leafs.

hairnova

Mod Squad
Also, the contract slides to the next year, and the AAV is actually less when the contract starts to count.

Take Nick Suzuki for example:

zeke

Oh yeah nice. Liljegren has the exact same breakdown as Suzuki.

Sandin is a year behind so his caphit is a bit higher.

BeLeafer

resurrected
As far as the contract limits go, there's a loophole for CHL players. If you're signed to an ELC but you're with a CHL team, you don't count against the 50-contract limit. They would only count if the Leafs added them to their active roster at the conclusion of the CHL seasons.

As for the benefit of signing them quickly---I'd guess that mostly comes down to cap hit/bonuses.

If you wait until they've lit it up in the CHL for a year or two after you've drafted them, then they're going to be able to demand a higher salary and performance bonuses. Especially if the team also has the pressure of signing them before their rights expire and they go back in the draft.

And for the foreseeable future, every penny counts for the Leafs.
Funny, when I first checked on CF it didn't have his contract count exempt but now it does.

Per your statement and hairnova's -- thanks, that does indeed make sense.

LeafGm

Interesting. So the signing bonus is still paid regardless of the slide.

Yeah, that's interesting. Nice bonus for the player, and probably not bad business for the team either.

Instead of trying to live off his $500 a month CHL stipend plus whatever money his parents can send his way, he's got $92K in his bank account to live off of this year. That makes it easier for players to eat & train properly.