• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Think Robertson can also play on the PK - adds some benefit to him in the lineup to be able to do that while being a threat to score to keep other team honest

These guys rate prospects solely based on historical stats comparisons. Not sure where they rank the Leafs pipeline yet, but they are in the top 10.

tenor.gif

4. Toronto It’s Good and It’s Not Talked About Enough
The pool is led by N. Robertson, Sandin and Hallander. Moderate star potential, mostly provided by the big three, with the 2nd most probable NHLers of any team. Some of those less talked about potential NHLers include: Kral, Hollowell, Mikheyev, Abruzzese, Hoefenmayer (AHL deal for now), Liljegren and Koster. The Leafs have graduated three stars to the NHL in the past six years (Nylander, Marner and Matthews) and have done well to keep the prospect cupboard relatively stocked while they build into a contender. The Leafs should be able to avoid a rebuild for a number of years.

Man if the Leafs pipeline doesn't classify as a "good" one, I'd love to see what a good pipeline looks like. Must be some insane fucking shit.

Abruzzese is a late bloomer, but his 20 year old NCAA season is on par with guys like Reilly Smith, Gaudette, Motte and Gaudreau.

He looks like a legit NHL prospect.

Cool to see this much love for Abruzzese. I’m always a little wary of NCAA’ers and overagers, since it’s hard to know what to make of their numbers. But no question he’s produced.

Nice to see the recognition for Robertson & Sandin too.

And I’ve never really been down on our prospects per se, I’m just a little surprised to see them ranked as highly as they are with all the picks we’ve traded away in recent years.

But I guess I pretty much stopped paying close attention to other teams’ prospect stables once Matthews, Marner & Nylander all graduated to full-time NHLers.

The ranking is lifted by the depth of mid round picks that look good statistically, but otherwise would not register with people that don't watch way too much low level hockey. Given how heavily invested the Leafs are in analytics, this is exactly where they should be able to get an advantage pulling out NHL players from later round picks.

We've also seen the high picks from the last 2 year significantly outproduce their draft position in Sandin and Robertson. There are not many late 1st/2nd round picks in the last 2 drafts that would be considered top prospects in the league. There are others like Akil Thomas, Addison, Merkley, McMichael, Kaliyev. But the overwhelming majority of them aren't, and the Leafs pulled 2.

While the group lacks name recognition of guys like Nylander/Marner/Matthews etc., the numbers tell a different story.

No sense in piling on just because you think he hates Jews my man. In this case he was absolutely correct from the very beginning. He says a lot of crazy shit but he was on the right side of history in this one.

He says age is irrelevant and anyone with under 100 NHL games is a "prospect" ... very odd definition for prospects but quite similar to my view on pipeline.

He says age is irrelevant and anyone with under 100 NHL games is a "prospect" ... very odd definition for prospects but quite similar to my view on pipeline.

quite similar other than he thinks it's the 4th best pipeline and you think it's empty.

quite similar other than he thinks it's the 4th best pipeline and you think it's empty.
Get real. I never once said or even suggested it was empty. I said it has weaknesses that need to be addressed. Sorry to offend your homerism.

For the last time, I don't give a poop about how it ranks.

Back