• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs re-sign Pierre Engvall - 2 years/$1.25M AAV

LeafOfFaith

Find a gif of a guy not giving a shit, or rolling his eyes. Nerd stats are nice and all but they unfortunately haven’t translated into very good actual production from Kappy, Engvall, or Johnsson, lately. It might just be that different line configurations might result in more actual, what are they called again, oh yeah, goals.

Artnes

Key word here is lately

You're not going to get show me now results but if they continue to trend in a positive direction the results should eventually come.

leafman101

I really like Kerfoot on the wing. He is much more able to exploit his speed to get in on the forecheck. He's not the most talented guy, but he plays hard, is good north/south, is fast and can pass. So when he gets the puck in the ozone good things tend to happen. His best attributes get watered down playing in the middle. On the wing I actually think I like him better than Kappy and Johnsson.

Kerfoot:
wing (w/Tavares): 205:21 TOI, 0.29 g/60, 2.92 p/60, 53.37 CF%, 56.54 xGF%, 10.26 oiSH%
center (w/o Tavares): 382:10 TOI, 0.85 g/60, 1.73 p/60*, 51.35 CF%, 51.04 xGF%, 9.87 oiSH%

* - can't find breakdown of production w/o Tavares so just after ~380 minutes this season.

Kerfoot is an average 3rd line center, but he is a really good top 6 winger. Not only are his shots and xG numbers better, but his production is significantly better too, without much of a chance in sh%.

If Engvall or Spezza can be about average at the #3 C then I think that lineup makes us a better team. Kerfoot can do it, but he is under utilized IMO.

Preston

Yeah Kerf is fine. I'd rank AJ, Kerf and Kap pretty similarly to be honest. Kap happens to have the most trade value and probably is the worst fit in a Keefe system but he clearly has the most game breaking/dynamic talent. He just doesn't see the ice well enough to be much more than he already is IMO. So regardless I'd try to capitalize on his value if it is that much more than the others. Of course, it doesn't have to be this year. Anytime before the expansion draft really.

leafman101

Kappy:
w/ Kerfoot
: 203:52 TOI, 52.89 CF%, 52.79 xGF%
w/ Spezza: 187:45 TOI, 54.44 CF%, 58.50 xGF%
w/ Engvall: 149:28 TOI, 52.09 CF%, 52.82 xGF%

Almost positive Spezza is the best option for #3 center.

Last edited:

zeke

Find a gif of a guy not giving a shit, or rolling his eyes. Nerd stats are nice and all but they unfortunately haven’t translated into very good actual production from Kappy, Engvall, or Johnsson, lately. It might just be that different line configurations might result in more actual, what are they called again, oh yeah, goals.
Kerfoot had 2 assists and his line 2 goals and you were upset tho.

zeke

One thing that's interesting is that we're rolling a pretty jumbo set of centers right now

Matthews 6'3" 225
Tavares 6'1" 210
Spezza 6'3" 215
Engvall 6'5" 215

Not the most physical bunch but that's a pretty classic old school set of huge centers that won't be pushed around.

zeke

And if Mikheyev gets back we don't even really have a 4th line anymore.

Nylander - Matthews - Marner
Kerfoot - Tavares - Hyman
Johnsson - Spezza - Kapanen
Mikheyev - Engvall - Clifford

LeafOfFaith

Kerfoot had 2 assists and his line 2 goals and you were upset tho.
You keep focusing on this one game’s production from them. The Kerfoot Engvall switch was a while ago. I personally don’t like how they look in these roles. I think the lines for tonight look gross, btw.