• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs recall Sandin & Liljegren / Rielly out eight weeks with broken foot

zeke

Don't like that he may be more expensive than Tavares and signed until 3yrs older. I do like that he's a better skater than Tavares though.

LeafOfFaith

Dream corps:

Rielly Pietrangelo
Dermott Holl
Sandin Liljegren

Pairings not necessarily in that order.

But wow what a difference Holl’s emergence is for us, and to have two talents like Sandin and Lilly.

BeLeafer

resurrected
Ya know, given how poorly Rielly has played this season, it might not be too much to ask for Sandin to fill in for him. He might even provide an upgrade over what Rielly has been providing.

Consider that since Keefe took over, Rielly is -6.22 xGFrel. That's good for the worst (by a good margin) among blueliners and third worst on the team overall. He's also second pp and pk.

I don't think Rielly's absence is going to hurt. The guy has basically been hobbling around the ice all year.

leafman101

Brutal. Silver lining is it gives them a chance to lean heavily on Dermott/Sandin/Lilly to see what you have.

But man this season is not going well.

zeke

Everything will be ok.

Rielly is excellent, but the Leafs are really good, and Sandin is really good, and it's only 3gms until the break after which Muzzin likely returns.

zeke

Just remember that every other team - even contenders - is celebrated for their talent when their top D prospects come up and lead their defense corps.

zeke

Barrie Sandin Liljegren Holl Dermott Marincin/Ceci

Honestly not many dcorps could lose their top 2 dmen and still have that much talent.

LeafGm

Barrie Sandin Liljegren Holl Dermott Marincin/Ceci

Honestly not many dcorps could lose their top 2 dmen and still have that much talent.

I mean, it's definitely a godsend right now that our two most NHL-ready impact prospects on the farm are defensemen.

Even guys like Schmaltz & Gravel are pretty solid to have as additional depth, seeing as both have played a bunch of NHL games.

zeke

I mean, it's definitely a godsend right now that our two most NHL-ready impact prospects on the farm are defensemen.

Even guys like Schmaltz & Gravel are pretty solid to have as additional depth, seeing as both have played a bunch of NHL games.
Godsend maybe...but also part of the gameplan coming into the year.

LeafGm

Godsend maybe...but also part of the gameplan coming into the year.

For sure. I always figured Sandin/Lilly would get the Kappy/AJ/Dermott/Moore treatment, and get called up for the second half after spending the first half of the season playing big minutes for the Marlies (and conveniently staying down there past the point where they'd be able to burn an RFA year).

The injuries have just moved up the timetable a bit.

zeke

I don't think Sandin making the team to start the year was Babcock's decision, tbh.

WellPlayed

These guys know Keefe's system better than most, I expect them to look good as long as they aren't nervous AF.