• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

Watching Scheer respond to whether he thinks homosexuality is a sin and the CPC not(to date) giving him the boot is a clear message that they aren't really interested in winning in urban ridings.

Watching Scheer respond to whether he thinks homosexuality is a sin and the CPC not(to date) giving him the boot is a clear message that they aren't really interested in winning in urban ridings.
not that I disagree, but I think they realize they need to not be total dinosaurs on this one. they paraded a bunch of their female MPs out to give favourable soundbites to the CBC about LGBT issues, at least. which is something?

I dunno, I'm torn. Scheer is so incompetent I almost want him to stay on as leader as long as possible.

It's incredible that Team Scheer still doesn't have an answer to this question weeks after the election.

Dude still thinks that the best approach is to evade the hell out of this issue.

I'm not sure Scheer survives the leadership review in April. not sure the caucus really reflects the will of conservatives across the country so much as the westerners.

not that I disagree, but I think they realize they need to not be total dinosaurs on this one. they paraded a bunch of their female MPs out to give favourable soundbites to the CBC about LGBT issues, at least. which is something?

I dunno, I'm torn. Scheer is so incompetent I almost want him to stay on as leader as long as possible.
In our electoral system, party leader matters much more than any one candidate. Having a bunch of female MPs say nice things about LGBT issues is nice and all, but it is completely undercut the instant Scheer opens his mouth about that issue.

I'm not sure Scheer survives the leadership review in April. not sure the caucus really reflects the will of conservatives across the country so much as the westerners.

This. Most of the CPC caucus is vulnerable to challenge from the same group of western christians and the agricultural lobby that put Scheer in the leadership position to begin with. I agree that he's probably DOA in April, which is good for everyone imo. It give the Liberals some runway, gives the country a chance to chill out for a couple of years before worrying about another election.

FWIW, the surviving CPC MP's from Ontario & Quebec mostly came out strongly in support of Scheer in public, and privately, they voted against caucus giving itself the power to turf Scheer as leader.

Though I suspect that probably doesn't reflect how they personally feel about Scheer, or how they feel about the likelihood of the CPC ever doing any better in Ontario or Quebec under his leadership. They probably just don't want his blood on their hands, don't want to alienate their Western colleagues and would rather take the path of least resistance and punt the decision to the membership of the party in April.

Seems to me though that the party would be much better off with having a quick blood-letting and then moving on. Instead, the infighting and whisper campaigns against Scheer will be dragged out for the next six months.

And the leadership review won't necessarily solve anything either. It seems pretty likely that Scheer would end up somewhere in the murky middle---neither enough opposition to justify his immediate removal as leader, and not enough support to give him a strong mandate. And if he does get turfed, then that'll kick off another lengthy leadership fight that could divide the party.

please keep scheer.

I don't think his western base of support has turned on him yet. I don't know if they see the election as Scheer's fault so much as they see it as Ontario and Quebec chucking middle fingers up at "the west" (*minus BC...they always seem to forget that the populated portions of BC also have no time for their shit)

I don't think his western base of support has turned on him yet. I don't know if they see the election as Scheer's fault so much as they see it as Ontario and Quebec chucking middle fingers up at "the west" (*minus BC...they always seem to forget that the populated portions of BC also have no time for their shit)

Is that honestly a thing?

Hardcore CPC-supporting Westerners think Ontario and Quebec are refusing to vote for Scheer/CPC purely to spite "the west"?

Because when it comes to Western Canada, this is me when I enter the ballot box (though this would probably enrage them no less):

1573154170399.png

Hardcore CPC-supporting Westerners think Ontario and Quebec are refusing to vote for Scheer/CPC purely to spite "the west"?

Because when it comes to Western Canada, this is me when I enter the ballot box (though this would probably enrage them no less):

View attachment 5127

Yeah, I think those are the same to them.

They have this weird idea that they're the economic engine of Canada, that they keep our lights on etc. I've tried to explain to my friends out there that Toronto has the same GDP as their entire province and that the oil industry makes up about 25% of Alberta's GDP, not 100%.

Their honest belief is that we owe them. We owe them pipelines, we should be buying 100% of our oil from them...but at full market cost, that they should have outsized influence on national politics, etc.

They're the mirror image of the thing they hate the most, they've become the Bloc Rednecois.

Ah come on charlie the dude tried to do away with term limits just to keep himself in power forever.

And then in this election he wasn't on track to win, then suddenly the election authority stopped giving vote updates for an entire day, and then he magically turned out to have the required edge when they came back on.

And then millions poured into the streets, and then he resigned.

View attachment 5127

Same here. I mean I voted NDP last few elections but voted Lib again this year, but not because of Alberta or anything. It was to avoid a vote split that would favour the NDP and give the CPC a majority again. My candidate won his riding pretty handily, so it worked out for me.
Oh, Libs in power helps me workwise too. If the CPC were at best "meh!" toward public servants, and they were more lax on some social issues they'd at least be "blue colour might be vialble," but not with Scheer at the helm, anyways.

Trump’s Republicans lost a handful of seats in last year’s mid-term elections due to the retaliatory tariffs issued by Canada, China, the EU and Mexico, a new study found. That means Canada’s response played a small role in wrestling control of the House of Representatives to the Democrats last year.

The study measures the effect at a county-level of U.S. tariffs, the global retaliatory tariffs and government subsidies designed to help those hurt by the retaliation. Along with health care outcomes, which was a major policy issue in the election, the study also controls for a variety of other demographic and economic data to untangle the motivation behind the voting patterns.

“These findings suggest that both the trade war and health care policy contributed meaningfully to the 2018 ‘Blue Wave,’ in which Republicans lost a total of 40 House seats,” the paper reads. “Republican candidates lost ground in counties that were adversely affected by retaliatory tariffs, but saw no discernible gains in counties where workers were disproportionately protected by new U.S. tariffs.”
Suck it America.

Back