• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

what's O'Toole vibe? Sounds like a generic Con candidate from what I've read -- probably an improvement over Scheer who was in over his head as a leader.

By the sounds of it, old Timmy O'Toole wouldn't get recognized in a 2 man police lineup.

The vibe is that he's socially progressive by Conservative standards

- supports gay marriage and has said that he'll march in pride
- supports women's right to choose, but has said that he won't block MP's from bringing anti abortion bills forward
- supports ganj legalization
- supports trans rights

Reactions: CH1
Standards are low. Be a decent human being and he'll likely crush JT.

Polling isn't really in his favour off the hop apparently and watching his speech, he's not exactly a....rousing...speaker.

He doesn't carry the Scheer religious baggage though so if Canadians are that sick of Trudeau that they'll vote for "insert vanilla middle aged white conservative in a suit here", then yeah, he's our next PM. I'd like to see some movement in the polls before I declare that a thing though. I know what the narrative is right now, but the fact at the moment is that the Liberals are up 3 points in the polls since the election and the CPC is down 4.5.

Polling isn't really in his favour off the hop apparently and watching his speech, he's not exactly a....rousing...speaker.

He doesn't carry the Scheer religious baggage though so if Canadians are that sick of Trudeau that they'll vote for "insert vanilla middle aged white conservative in a suit here", then yeah, he's our next PM. I'd like to see some movement in the polls before I declare that a thing though. I know what the narrative is right now, but the fact at the moment is that the Liberals are up 3 points in the polls since the election and the CPC is down 4.5.
I wonder if this"Take Back Canada" slogan will take off like MAGA. I hope not. :cautious:

I wonder if this"Take Back Canada" slogan will take off like MAGA. I hope not. :cautious:

It will work in between Winnipeg and Surrey.

The only place that we need to worry about is suburban Toronto. But currently they're not buying what the conservatives are selling.

This is funny because the right wing are ideological morons, but also scary because the right wing will sabotage themselves based on fictions.

But tbh, this is actually newsworthy because this is starting to get exciting - it's becoming a very real possibility that the world will be able to do a major shift away from oil in general, which would have absolutely massive implications for all of world economics, politics, and environment.

This is funny because the right wing are ideological morons, but also scary because the right wing will sabotage themselves based on fictions.

But tbh, this is actually newsworthy because this is starting to get exciting - it's becoming a very real possibility that the world will be able to do a major shift away from oil in general, which would have absolutely massive implications for all of world economics, politics, and environment.

There has been a weird pervasive social theory that the developing world is going to follow the exact technological growth curve as the west did. They're going to use the same technologies as us, just years or decades behind. This is most regularly used by climate deniers when they're forced to concede that climate change is a thing, and they level up their argument to "but there's no point doing anything about it" because "zomg, wait until the africans, indians, etc all own cars". When in reality we've seen the opposite. We've seen entire continents/regions basically skip things like terrestrial phone systems and go straight to mobile towers.

Alberta politics is angry enough these days, I can't imagine what it will be like when they run out of customers to sell their only real export product to.

Back