• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

NHL expansion draft - who do we protect

trujaysfan

Some details coming out about possible expansion draft rules:

Automatically protected:

Prospects, 1st year and 2nd year pros (including AHL), not exactly sure how many games played would qualify as a year for being a pro (was Nylanders 37 games in 14-15 his 1st year pro?)

Team option to protect:

3D, 7F, 1G or 8 skaters and 1G

If 1 team comes in you can lose 1 player or if 2 teams come in you can lose 2 players.

3D: Rielly, Gardiner, Marincin *Carrick
7F: Kadri, JVR, Komarov, Leipsic, Brown, Nylander, lindberg/bozak? *any free agents we sign i.e. stamkos would also need to be protected.
1G: Sparks

Last edited:
Why the **** is the league expanding.

9371972.jpg

I don't think we'll need to worry about the expansion draft a whole lot. If guys with only one or two years of NHL/AHL experience are exempt from the draft, then Josh Leivo, Stuart Percy & Scott Harrington are the only actual prospects on the Marlies that wouldn't be exempt from the draft.

Though if they count professional experience over in Europe, then Nikita Soshnikov might not be covered.

There's also talk that you'll have to have a minimum number of players past a certain salary threshold available in the draft. That won't be any problem at all either. Brooks Laich, Milan Michalek, Colin Greening, Joffrey Lupul, Stephane Robidas, Nathan Horton & their ample salaries will all almost certainly be left exposed. Maybe Jonathan Bernier too.

Expansion's going to happen eventually---it's inevitable at this point.

So as Leaf fans, it's better if expansion (and the expansion draft) happens now, rather than later. If it happens this summer, we won't really have to worry about losing anyone of value. But if it happens next summer or the year after, when a bunch of our overpaid vets are off the books and the young players in the organization all have another year of professional experience---then we might actually lose something that'll hurt.

Yeah, I'll take now over later.

Maybe it means a team taking one of our worthless contracts off our hands for free.

Lupul comes to mind.

why the **** would anyone take him? You need to see a doctor regarding your IQ.

They would also likely need to make the cap floor. The only contracts likely to be available will be bad ones, at least Lupul's is a short bad one belonging to a guy who can put the puck in the net on the off chance he's healthy.

If there were two expansion teams, I'd put better than even money on it happening.

They would also likely need to make the cap floor. The only contracts likely to be available will be bad ones, at least Lupul's is a short bad one belonging to a guy who can put the puck in the net on the off chance he's healthy.

If there were two expansion teams, I'd put better than even money on it happening.
What better way to start a new franchise than being saddled with a horrific contract! Woohoo!

The guy sucks dick at hockey and is hurt more often than not. You're being retarded and arguing just for the sake of arguing.

These rules are very expansion team-friendly. There will be some great talent out there.

why the **** would anyone take him? You need to see a doctor regarding your IQ.

They will need players. They will need contracts. They will need to hit the cap floor. They will be in a position to take a risk on a guy that maybe can score 20 goals for them , health permitting. They won't be choosing from the teams' best players, and Lupul could be one of the better skilled players exposed. There are a whole host of reasons.

It's cute how you think that the expansion draft is like picking from the kitchen instead of the dumpster.

What better way to start a new franchise than being saddled with a horrific contract! Woohoo!

The guy sucks dick at hockey and is hurt more often than not. You're being retarded and arguing just for the sake of arguing.

These rules are very expansion team-friendly. There will be some great talent out there.

Who might be the "great talent" you'd expect to be left exposed by a team?

And two years at $5M is not a "horrific contract" for a team that expects to win absolutely nothing for like 5 to 7 years.

If I'm an expansion team i try and pick off as many 22-25 year old players (3rd or 4th year pro's) who have potential as possible and worry about hitting the cap floor later. They can always trade for a lupul and get a pick from as well so why would they take problems for free?

If we potentially have to leave one of Leivo, Holland, Carrick, Marincin etc available i see no reason for an expansion team to take lupul off our hands.

Last edited:

If you need to hit the cap floor, you need to hit the cap floor.

He's also a short term bad contract that will be among one of the best pedigreed forwards available.

Nah man. There's going to be a lot of Lupul's, and Coburns, Fayne's, Andrew Macdonald's, Pominville's, etc.

Let's take a look at Tampa for a second, probably the deepest team in the league and use the 7F, 3D, 1G format, and let's assume that Stamkos is gone (whether to us or not, it looks like a bad bet to assume him in a Tampa jersey next year)

F - Johnson, Pilat, Kucherov, Killorn, Namestnikov, Filppula, JT Brown - Notable exposed: Callahan and his 4 x 5.8 remaining
D - Hedman, Stralman, Garrison - Notable exposed: Carle (2 x 5.5), Coburn (3 x 3.7), Sustr
G - Bishop (Vasilevsky is protected as a 2nd year pro)

And just for fun, let's do the same with the best team in hockey

F - Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Johansson, Kuznetsov (maybe...do his 17 games in 12/13 count as a pro season?),Williams, Beagle/Winnik
D- Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov/Alzner - Notable exposed: Orpik & 1 of Alzner/Orlov
G - Holtby

So if Tampa is giving up **** all, and Washington is giving up **** all, who is losing actual talent? If you snagged 2 forwards off of them you're walking with Callahan and either Beagle or Winnik...so where is this great talent that's going to be available. Would you rather be on the hook for 2 yrs of Lupul or 4 years of Callahan? If we're talking about handcuffing ourselves with shit deals and all.

Last edited:
If I'm an expansion team i try and pick off as many 22-25 year old players (3rd or 4th year pro's) who have potential as possible and worry about hitting the cap floor later. They can always trade for a lupul and get a pick from as well so why would they take problems for free?

And that's fair, and if there's 1 expansion team I think that's a clever strategy. If there's two though, they have to find about 104 million in salary in total between the expansion draft, trades, and UFA signings. That's a fair bit harder than it sounds.

If we potentially have to leave one of Leivo, Holland, Carrick, Marincin etc available i see no reason for an expansion team to take lupul off our hands.

He'd be, shockingly enough, one of the most pedigreed forwards available and of the bad contracts out there likely to be available, one of the shortest.

Peter Holland reeks as something on an expansion team.

+1

With so many defenders likely to be available, the real challenge for an expansion club will be to find anything remotely competent in their top 6. Holland would definitely be up there on their lists.

Just a note---it's looking pretty certain that teams won't be able to make players with NMC's available in the expansion draft. And Callahan has an NMC.

Though whether that means they'll have to put them on their protected list (which would suck for us, since Horton has an NMC)---that hasn't been made clear yet.

It doesn't substantially change your point though. With all the bad contracts out there in the league, the expansion draft won't have a lot of impressive names on it.

And that's fair, and if there's 1 expansion team I think that's a clever strategy. If there's two though, they have to find about 104 million in salary in total between the expansion draft, trades, and UFA signings. That's a fair bit harder than it sounds.

He'd be, shockingly enough, one of the most pedigreed forwards available and of the bad contracts out there likely to be available, one of the shortest.

The question again would be: Why would they take lupul for free? they can either trade for bad contracts and get picks or sign middling talent to richer than normal deals like florida did a few years ago.

Now if they create a rule where you can't trade a player taken in the draft for the 1st year then maybe they take the best bad contracts as well but if not then i don't see a reason to take them for free.

Back