• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

NHL Playoff Predictions-Covid Cup Edition

zeke

I'm enjoying reading Leaf/Blue Jackets predictions. Apparently Toronto had no injuries and goal scoring will not matter.
Man Games Injured:

Matthews 0 ---- Dubois 0
Marner 11 ------- Bjorkstrand 21
Nylander 2 ------ Nyquist 0

Tavares 7 ------- Jenner 0
Hyman 19 ------- Atkinson 26
Kapanen 1 ------ Foligno 3

Kerfoot 5 -------- Wennberg 13
Mikheyev 31 --- Texier 30
Johnsson* 27 - Anderson* 44 (neither are playing)

Rielly 23 ---------- Jones 14
Muzzin 17 ------- Werenski 7

Barrie 0 ----------- Savard 2
Ceci 14 ------------ Murray 43

Holl 2 --------------- Gavrikov 1
Dermott 14 ------ Kukan 28

zeke

Lleas
Even forgetting the 15 years, which is irrelevant to the current team, this core group has lost in the first round for three years in a row, and had a real up and down roller-coaster of a season this year.

So frankly, they’re not owed and haven’t earned any respect when it comes to playoff predictions.
Meh.

People pick teams with little playoffs success all the time. They even pick upsets.

Never the leafs, tho.

LeafGm

Lleas

Meh.

People pick teams with little playoffs success all the time. They even pick upsets.

Never the leafs, tho.

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t argue against there being a media bias against the Leafs.

And I won’t argue against it being a thing that pundits feel pressured to be overly negative about the Leafs because they want to be seen as “objective”, and because they’re afraid of the other fanbases accusing them of being biased or “pro-Leaf”.

I just can’t get myself that worked up about it so long as this group hasn’t even won a playoff round, and so long as we have a starting goalie with a growing record of being the second-best goalie in every playoff series he competes in for this team.

Preston

It's going to be far more annoying when they actually have some success in the playoffs and the media will still act like they're a joke. Which will happen btw. It just hasn't yet, so no need to get angry over it.

Volcanologist

The team has to show that they're contenders. "expected" stats are good enough for some, but for most people it's wins and losses that make that determination.

Raptor fans on the other hand can feel rightfully jobbed in that department right now.

leaffan2005

The team has to show that they're contenders. "expected" stats are good enough for some, but for most people it's wins and losses that make that determination.

Raptor fans on the other hand can feel rightfully jobbed in that department right now.
Step back man, now you will upset the masses..

;)

zeke

7th most wins in hockey the past 3yrs.

13th most playoffs wins, even against an elite contender in every round.

Volcanologist

Expect it doesn't...like you pointed out, look at the Raptors.

That's the problem with entrenched stupidity.
And they can feel rightfully jobbed about it.

If we win a Cup and then aren't treated as contenders the following season, then we would be justified in griping

right now when we can't even win 1 round, not so much

leaffan2005

Not sure I have seen a fanbase complain so much about lack of respect without achieving anything in a few decades including no playoff rounds won in 15+ years. The Dallas Cowboys strike me as another similar fan base but they have had success in more recent years and actually won playoff games as well.

The Leafs may be on the butt end of hyper-critical reporting at times but to be honest they haven't deserved anybody's respect for a while now. That can change this year but until it does I really don't understand why people get their panties in a knot about people in the media not picking them to win a series.

Preston

Not sure I have seen a fanbase complain so much about lack of respect without achieving anything in a few decades including no playoff rounds won in 15+ years. The Dallas Cowboys strike me as another similar fan base but they have had success in more recent years and actually won playoff games as well.

The Leafs may be on the butt end of hyper-critical reporting at times but to be honest they haven't deserved anybody's respect for a while now. That can change this year but until it does I really don't understand why people get their panties in a knot about people in the media not picking them to win a series.
Raptors fans were the same and in fairness, they deserved the criticisms too for a few years. They were a far bigger joke than these Leafs. Like I said, I'm actually pretty fucking impressed the Leafs playoff performances in the last three years; far better than the Raptors were for many years. But you're right, they absolutely don't deserve any respect yet.

leaffan2005

Raptors fans were the same and in fairness, they deserved the criticisms too for a few years. They were a far bigger joke than these Leafs. Like I said, I'm actually pretty fucking impressed the Leafs playoff performances in the last three years; far better than the Raptors were for many years. But you're right, they absolutely don't deserve any respect yet.
I mean the Raps won a bunch of playoff rounds and kept running into LeBron. Not sure that's a great comparison.

Preston

I mean the Raps won a bunch of playoff rounds and kept running into LeBron. Not sure that's a great comparison.
And the Leafs ran into the NHL version of the Lebron's and put up a fucking terrific fight two years in a row. Raps consistently under-performed against everyone. So you're right. Not a great comparison.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
And they can feel rightfully jobbed about it.

If we win a Cup and then aren't treated as contenders the following season, then we would be justified in griping

right now when we can't even win 1 round, not so much
Is anyone other than Zeke suggesting that they should be treated as contenders? Acting like they're not underdogs against a horseshit team with as close to no talent as a playoff team can be isn't a big ask.

Preston

Also 2005, don't act like you weren't the number 1 Raps attacker before their ship. It was warranted though, don't get me wrong.