• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

I like to run a thought experiment every time news like this drops. It's related to the "what if Obama..." game, but I like to remove Obama out of the picture to remove the potential for partisanship, and just say "what if 5 years ago I told you X was going to happen".

What if told you that there was going to be a global pandemic, that the US was going to run 3 parallel "task forces", 1 was going to be run by an evangelical that badly bottled the worst HIV epidemic in US history, the 2nd was going to be run by Jared Kushner and very much listened to and the 3rd was going to be run by the guy on CNBC that used to Kramer looks smart...or Ivanka Trump.

It's obviously completely and ridiculously unacceptable.

As luck would have it, you will not have to choose between a pedo and Trump in November.

Depending on your definition of being a pedo.....President Pedo used to brag about being able to walk into the dressing room at the miss teen USA pageant he owned, where contestants aged 14 (yep) to 19 were in various stages of undress.

Pay attention to the math, Habsy

“He can’t escape his instincts, his desire to put people down, like Mitt Romney, or to talk about his ratings,” said former Representative Carlos Curbelo, a Florida Republican. “That’s why he’s not getting the George W. Bush post-9/11 treatment. A leader in this sort of crisis should have a 75-to-80-percent approval rating.”

Justin Trudeau has a 74% right now. In a system where you have more than one adversarial party, and approval ratings of over 40% are fairly rare.

In the American system it's really hard to have an approval rating lower than 50% and the Trump bump got him to 46.8%....

Math? Where? That’s not math. That’s blurting out whatever comes to mind.

The point however is taken.
It's opinion math ... which in the current environment is the same as actual math , apparently.

He's probably off by 10 percentage points, but the former congressman is not wrong, as you note.

Pay attention to the math, Habsy

“He can’t escape his instincts, his desire to put people down, like Mitt Romney, or to talk about his ratings,” said former Representative Carlos Curbelo, a Florida Republican. “That’s why he’s not getting the George W. Bush post-9/11 treatment. A leader in this sort of crisis should have a 75-to-80-percent approval rating.”

It's crazy to think just how easy it would have been for Trump to secure a second term. This pandemic should have gifted him the election if he could have just been human for a couple months.

I mean Doug Ford has probably doubled his approval rating.

Crazy that the US was at ~19,000 cases 3 weeks ago and now they're at 475,000.

Michigan, California, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, and Florida are all at around 17,000-20,000 right now. Should be interesting to see how the measures they've taken help.

I find it bizarre that Trump's health experts repeatedly praise places for having low case numbers where you can clearly see that they're hardly testing. Surely they can see this?

I find it bizarre that Trump's health experts repeatedly praise places for having low case numbers where you can clearly see that they're hardly testing. Surely they can see this?

And then he turns around and says they are doing a great job limiting cases and the only reason they have so many cases is because they are testing so much.

So yes, they understand. He just doesn't want to anger the red belt.

I'll still stand on the fact Gov. DeWine has done a great job in Ohio... I won't go there but that's due to when I go there I have a breakdown so I'll avoid Ohio at all costs :)

Trump doesn't think they need testing in Iowa, because they don't have a problem.

Points to Birx and says he thinks she would agree with him.

This is where the experts who are supposed to be babysitting Trump fail miserably, they're not helping. They're not educating. Everytime you let Trump speak for them, you undo everything they've said.

I'll still stand on the fact Gov. DeWine has done a great job in Ohio... I won't go there but that's due to when I go there I have a breakdown so I'll avoid Ohio at all costs :)

I think the governor was fairly early on social distancing restrictions but in terms of testing Ohio is one of the worst in the country for tests per capita.

Bottom 10 starting at lowest: Kansas, Texas, California, Virginia, Alabama, Georgia, Iowa, Ohio, Nebraska, Maine

Back