• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

I'm a downtown cat; even most parts of Toronto (like High Park) are too quiet for me. If I'm gonna make a change, it'll probably be on a bigger scale than just the burbs.

Figure out your biggest stressors and try to get away from them. I feel like that’s about the best advice i could give to anyone regarding where you live.

Figure out your biggest stressors and try to get away from them. I feel like that’s about the best advice i could give to anyone regarding where you live.
For me my biggest stressors are: being around a lot of people and being around a lack of people.

So suburbs it is. Benefit is I can hop on the 404 and get downtown in 30 minutes any time I want. And I really do (did :cry:) enjoy heading down there at least once a month. But never to live.

that works;
or you can flip it, and find the place that brings you the greatest sources of pleasures.

tech has reduced the impact of location in that sense.... I guess my stressor would be "feeling trapped" though that's hardly rational.

there was a time when going out on a whim was routine, so being central was crucial...otherwise everything would have needed to be planned

or you can flip it, and find the place that brings you the greatest sources of pleasures.

Yep. Wifey and I made the decision about a month ago that we're taking our talents to Vallarta full time next year. Came to a similar realization when we were having a conversation about what we want the next 10-20 years to look like. The finish line for so many Canadians is retire and then fuck off somewhere warm. We have the financial ability and the immigration status to start 20 years early (sans the full retirement bit). We decided that we don't want to put down roots here, so what's the point in getting balls deep into the Canadian grind. To do what? Spend 1.2 million on a 3 bedroom and deal with shite weather 4-5 months a year for the next 25 years until we bail for Mexico anyway?

Fuck that, I'll be on the beach if you need me.

Yep. Wifey and I made the decision about a month ago that we're taking our talents to Vallarta full time next year. Came to a similar realization when we were having a conversation about what we want the next 10-20 years to look like. The finish line for so many Canadians is retire and then **** off somewhere warm. We have the financial ability and the immigration status to start 20 years early (sans the full retirement bit). We decided that we don't want to put down roots here, so what's the point in getting balls deep into the Canadian grind. To do what? Spend 1.2 million on a 3 bedroom and deal with shite weather 4-5 months a year for the next 25 years until we bail for Mexico anyway?

**** that, I'll be on the beach if you need me.

Sounds like a great plan. The idea of dividing one's life in the same chunks as everyone else never made sense to me -- though the influence from friends and fam is real, so it needs to be actively questioned.

And Toronto ain't going anywhere, so you could always return if you wanted (for whatever reason). It's better to come back then stay here wishing you were elsewhere.

Yep. Wifey and I made the decision about a month ago that we're taking our talents to Vallarta full time next year. Came to a similar realization when we were having a conversation about what we want the next 10-20 years to look like. The finish line for so many Canadians is retire and then **** off somewhere warm. We have the financial ability and the immigration status to start 20 years early (sans the full retirement bit). We decided that we don't want to put down roots here, so what's the point in getting balls deep into the Canadian grind. To do what? Spend 1.2 million on a 3 bedroom and deal with shite weather 4-5 months a year for the next 25 years until we bail for Mexico anyway?

**** that, I'll be on the beach if you need me.

Sounds amazing dude. I’ve always loved my Mexico trips. I thought about buying a vacation home in San Jose del Cabo, it’s a bit more laid back than Cabo San Lucas. Really liked that area.

Pretty sure the wife and I are going to do something similar except probably try out living somewhere in SE Asia. Just gotta do a bit more sampling of different areas there to make a decision on where.

The real answer here is to push all levels of governments to put money into building real regional rail travel. There's no good reason why someone can't choose to live in a decent sized town within 50-70km of Union station and not be able to get there by train for events, attractions, entertainment within an hour and with a decent schedule.

Basically take Go and put it on steroids.

bingo , the transit planning has been brutal for extended commuters

They should of put in the infrastructure decades ago , the GTAA was going to grow big time to the remote regions

Their should of been extended arteries linking different regions to the inner city like Europe

For me my biggest stressors are: being around a lot of people and being around a lack of people.

So suburbs it is. Benefit is I can hop on the 404 and get downtown in 30 minutes any time I want. And I really do (did :cry:) enjoy heading down there at least once a month. But never to live.
do you have a teleporter or hovercraft? Cause that is the only way you make it from r hill to downtown on the 404 in 30 mins... unless you go at 4:00 am

I grew up from the sounds of things fairly close to LGM and mbow (R hill - T hill border). And yeah, no thanks to suburbs.

The past couple pages kinda sum up why Halifax is so great. I could live without a car if I needed, and I can also be out of the city and on the coast in 15-30 mins.

After work yesterday we went bouldering out near peggy’s cove. Door to crag time under an hour. Then I can come home and walk/bike to the bakery, butcher, etc.

do you have a teleporter or hovercraft? Cause that is the only way you make it from r hill to downtown on the 404 in 30 mins... unless you go at 4:00 am
The 404-dvp merge sucks but... HOV lane usage and I've made it in 30 more often than not. Often even beat that time.

I grew up from the sounds of things fairly close to LGM and mbow (R hill - T hill border). And yeah, no thanks to suburbs.

The past couple pages kinda sum up why Halifax is so great. I could live without a car if I needed, and I can also be out of the city and on the coast in 15-30 mins.

After work yesterday we went bouldering out near peggy’s cove. Door to crag time under an hour. Then I can come home and walk/bike to the bakery, butcher, etc.
If it weren't for family we'd be East coasting it fer sure.

Grew up in rexdale.

Always lived in populated areas.

Moved to a small, small town close to Sault Sainte Marie (600 people).

Would never ever move back.

I can be in Toronto and off of the plane in two hours on a cheap flight, and enjoy the peace and quiet of the bush the following day.

As for enjoying different ethnic meals and company and such, my neighbours are from India, my fishing buddy is from the Congo, and the other neighbors down the road are German.
There are also many many Mennonite families in our area.

We all get together (not Mennonites) frequently and enjoy the food and conversation of their travels and experiences.

For $300,000 you can have 100 acres and a nice house as well as 4 lakes within15 minutes.

We grow our own food, and process our own meat. It is very very busy during the spring, summer and fall, but the winter is the most amazing time to live up here .... Snowshoes, snow machines, tobogganing and even shagging with each other down the road for a few miles can be outstanding. (Shagging is holding onto the bumper of a vehicle while it is moving lol).

My water is better than anything I have ever had in any city, and my acquaintances and relatives love to come up and run wild ..... They bring up their bikes and quads, boats and tents.

Gas is more expensive (usually 8 cents) and supplies figure out the same.

Hospital is 30 minutes away, but with the traffic down there, it's negligible.

The best meals are usually the ones we fix ourselves, but it is nice to be able to go down the road in a Toronto type area and have an assortment of choices to eat something different.

But I think that it all comes down to money, family and health.

I chased the money, lost my health, and parts of my family.

So I decided that for me, the North and it's isolation would serve me best.

And now, I do what's best for the area lol.

I think the older we get, sometimes we find that the extras just aren't worth the added stress and associated problems.... Hey Preston, is that called boomerism?

One negative thing up here is that when you get snowed in, you are snowed in lol.
And blackflies can make a wonderful meal lol.

And right now I am watching a mother bear with 3 young cubs, digging up the ground for roots and such.

To each his own.

Jmo.

Grew up in rexdale.

Always lived in populated areas.

Moved to a small, small town close to Sault Sainte Marie (600 people).

Would never ever move back.

I can be in Toronto and off of the plane in two hours on a cheap flight, and enjoy the peace and quiet of the bush the following day.

As for enjoying different ethnic meals and company and such, my neighbours are from India, my fishing buddy is from the Congo, and the other neighbors down the road are German.
There are also many many Mennonite families in our area.

We all get together (not Mennonites) frequently and enjoy the food and conversation of their travels and experiences.

For $300,000 you can have 100 acres and a nice house as well as 4 lakes within15 minutes.

We grow our own food, and process our own meat. It is very very busy during the spring, summer and fall, but the winter is the most amazing time to live up here .... Snowshoes, snow machines, tobogganing and even shagging with each other down the road for a few miles can be outstanding. (Shagging is holding onto the bumper of a vehicle while it is moving lol).

My water is better than anything I have ever had in any city, and my acquaintances and relatives love to come up and run wild ..... They bring up their bikes and quads, boats and tents.

Gas is more expensive (usually 8 cents) and supplies figure out the same.

Hospital is 30 minutes away, but with the traffic down there, it's negligible.

The best meals are usually the ones we fix ourselves, but it is nice to be able to go down the road in a Toronto type area and have an assortment of choices to eat something different.

But I think that it all comes down to money, family and health.

I chased the money, lost my health, and parts of my family.

So I decided that for me, the North and it's isolation would serve me best.

And now, I do what's best for the area lol.

I think the older we get, sometimes we find that the extras just aren't worth the added stress and associated problems.... Hey Preston, is that called boomerism?

One negative thing up here is that when you get snowed in, you are snowed in lol.
And blackflies can make a wonderful meal lol.

And right now I am watching a mother bear with 3 young cubs, digging up the ground for roots and such.

To each his own.

Jmo.

A few of my buddies moved back to Timmins and Sudbury , and just like you would never come back to the shit show of Toronto

Enjoy the peace and tranquility

I'm in the Wortley Village area of London. London has got a lot of shittiness, but I really like our area. Charming old homes, very active and social community. Shops and restaurants within walking distance. When I lived in Toronto I was always positive I needed a big city, but I've definitely changed with age. Also having lived in several cities in Canada and Scotland, I've come to realize most places are what you make of them.

wortley is nice.

Oh baby. I did both sides of the track - Bayview and 16th then moved to Bayview and John.

im with leafgm - not a fan of the suburbs.

Back