• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

Well yeah, its really about property development in Phoenix. But this is the 5th ownership group in the last 10 years, and 3rd since the NHL finally got out in 2014. No one has been able to last more than 2 year, or get anywhere on a new arena.

Without that development its not sustainable. Even Bettman knows it:

nonono it's SKYROCKETING in Phoenix!!

*posts Forbes link*

Those weren't Forbes links. Though the forbes reports and the indepedent reporting on the r3cent sale agree with the links I posted, of course.

Bettman-hating has broken your brain.

For the record I don't hate Bettman. I just think your biases get the best of you sometimes. Which is fine. You're human. A very emotional human that will argue anything as long as it fits your narrative, but human nonetheless. I think this is one of those times where you need to really try and focus on what you're trying to argue. It's a bit insane. Like medicine being made from alien DNA kind of insane.

Heheh. The only biases on display here are the same nonsensical bettman-hating theories that have been hilariously wrong going on 30 YEARS now. Through expansions, through cba negotiations, through TV contracts.

Imagine being embarrassingly wrong for 30 YEARS and still repeating it.

So yeah, the coyotes are a struggling franchise. Every league has them. The yotes also haven't actually cost their previous owners any real losses, and they have some unique factors which still make them an interesting investment. Going on as if this is some disgrace to the league and some unfair burden to teams like the leafs is......just plain dumb.

Those weren't Forbes links. Though the forbes reports and the indepedent reporting on the r3cent sale agree with the links I posted, of course.

Honestly, stop. you've embarassed yourself enough with this franchise value stuff. good god man.

I’ve only really got a couple of beefs with Bettman. The big one is that, up until this year, he’d failed to ever negotiate a CBA extension without a work stoppage.

The other is his continued employment of Colin Campbell in high-level NHL jobs.

But overall, he’s done a good job growing the league, and from a Canadian perspective, since letting the Jets & Nordiques move he has pulled out every stop whenever the viability of any other small Canadian markets has been threatened.

bettman and trump are friends

Except that everyone has been saying its unsustainable for what? 25yrs now? And yet a billionaire just forked over $300m for it. How many years can people be so wrong about something but still keep repeating the same thing over and over again?

Of course, no doubt a big part of his investment is the idea that an arena actually in Phoenix would be the big value add going forward. Not to mention making real inroads in his own Hispanic community.
maybe they survive because the rich teams in the league pay their operating costs?

Me checking this thread:

AnimatedIgnorantAmphibian-small.gif

Here is why billionaires buy pro sports teams.

The New York Rangers were purchased by Madison Square Garden sports in 1997 for 195 million dollars. Today according to Forbes, the team is worth 1.250 billion dollars. That’s about a 600% mark-up in 20 years. So if you can buy a team, break even for a decade or two, then sell the team, you will turn a huge profit.

The Molson family paid 575 million for the Montreal Canadians in 2009. Less than a decade alter the team’s selling price would be somewhere near 1.120 billion.

What about a low end team? The San Jose Sharks were purchased in 2002 by Hasso Plattner for $147 million. Today the team is worth 470 million dollars. They make about 63 million a season from gate receipts which nearly covers the entire team payroll. So most of the television money is profit. The teams’ nets about 50 million in profit per year.

The Winnipeg Jets were purchased in 2011 for 170 million by True North Sports and Entertainment. Today the Jets are worth 340 million.

The St. Louis Blues were bought for 180 million by Tom Stillman in 2012. Today the team is worth an estimated 310 million.

Now everybody shush.

Back