• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

I find tomatoes are tough to grow unless you have an area with full sun. I don't so I grew cherry tomatoes instead...they were excellent. My basil was a disappoint in terms of volume.

Last edited:
I mean tomatoes are supposed to ripen on the vine, no?

Mine don't ripen until I put them on a window sill for a couple weeks.

i wonder if that's because your indoor window sill is warmer than mid September weather

my ghost peppers were a huge success.

tomatoes mediocre.

banana peppers were a big fail.

My jalapenos thrived and what a difference in heat and taste from store bought.

Did well with onions, potatoes, radish and carrots but my tomatoes failed.

Yup. A big reason grocery store tomatoes suck balls compared to garden tomatoes is because they pick them before they ripen. Otherwise, they wouldn't be firm enough to transport and they'd squish and splatter on the way here. As a result, you get a very less flavorful tomato. So yeah, definitely need to be picked ripe.

Your problem is textbook lack of sun. I had fucking smashing success with tomatoes this year as I do every year (they are very forgiving if you just get enough sun), but that's because I have full round-the-clock sun where I planted them.

Anyone else notice a serious uptick in the number of bees this year?

Yes those fucking wasps are everywhere.

Putting in an outdoor kitchen, did the fence and working on landscaping during pandemic. They are just driving me nuts everytime i turn around 1 is near my face

Yes those fucking wasps are everywhere.

Putting in an outdoor kitchen, did the fence and working on landscaping during pandemic. They are just driving me nuts everytime i turn around 1 is near my face
Outdoor meals, no matter the venue have been a real pain in the ass.

Any got a pellet grill they recommend?

Currently into lump charcoal at the moment and enjoy it but the wife is not a fan of the prep work for it so Im contemplating going in that direction

not really

if there is a bunch that has a few red and a free green - take them all

if they are all green leave them for now

Any got a pellet grill they recommend?

Currently into lump charcoal at the moment and enjoy it but the wife is not a fan of the prep work for it so Im contemplating going in that direction

I use a propane smoker (broil king) and then can mix the wood types myself depending on the meat. New bbq also has a smoker tray but wont be able to use it for 8ish weeks.

I have natural gas now but its getting old and I need to replace it. Got back into charcoal over the summer and havent looked back. Especially once I discovered a chimney. That thing is a game changer when it comes to lighting coals

Planting pollinators is going to bring wasps, but those fake nests actually work. You'll still see a few, but they won't nest anywhere near another nest.

I've had two, protected from the weather, for three years now and they absolutely work.

Back