• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Fanboy fight: XBox V Playstation

AC3 was hot garbage.

Black flag was a good pirate game, meh AC game, rogue, same thing with a better story on a lesser console

Unity had a story that made no sense, controls that didn't work, a co-op that was messed up with the only thing that could somewhat keep the game being the absolute worst in the series being the beautiful city of Paris that ypu get to explore.

Syndicate had better story, controls were fixed and smoother, but it got really boring about halfway through.

Origins though. Egypt. The world, the controls, the addition of a modern day story and protaganist that makes sense. (The office espionage era of AC was a downright embarrassment to gaming). You need to play it. They gutted a lot of things that had gotten repetative over the series. Eagle vision? Gone. Replaced with an actual eagle that acts as a drone. Mini map? Gone. Replaced with actually needed to bring up a map. Synching to viewpoints in order to see an area and remove fog of war? Gone. All it does now is make your eagle more perceptive and act as fast travel points. It doesn't feel like any Assassins creed game you have ever played before. This may also very related to the fact that... You are not playing as an assassin. There are no assassins. The rules, the dogma, the rigid rules of being part of an order that has existed for thousands of years doesn't tie into this game because the crees doesn't exist. But you get to watch how it forms, a very intesting plot point.

The multiple distinct environments, the huge amount of side quests, emotional main quest, the era(romans, Greeks, native egyptians, all will mess you up at some point). the tech tree system allows you to build an assassin tailored to your skills in order to best fight these ancient warriors.

My wife built a stealth build what could murder anyone with a bow from a hundred yards away, or a hidden blade from around a corner.

I built a brawler who could fight up to 5 guys at once.

My wife acquired weapons that absorbed health as she fought. I acquired weapons that poisoned and hurt people as I landed hits or blocked shots.

The only thing that I did like about the game is that once you finish the hundred plus side quests there was nothing much to do. But every Assassins creed suffers this problem, nothing unique to origins. Also no multiplayer, but to be fair, the series has never been able to find a good way to implement it, and the harder they tried, the worst the games got.

Odyssey looks like they will build on Origins, another place from history that looks absolutly amazing, with spartans and athenians going to it, a witcher 3 feel to it, as opposed to the linear story of origins, as nice as it was, and I guess my wife will be able to play a badass woman for a whole game instead of just parts of a game.

Ubisoft is starting to take huge steps towards bringing the series back to AC2 with a strong, beautiful environments, modern day story that doesn't drag down the rest of the series, likeable main protagonists(FU Connor), without gimmicks as the hook(FU revalations and Syndicate). Origins was a huge step towards that, Odyssey is looks like them fleshing it out.

thank you very much for this post

i think i am going to pick up Origins this summer (it is 50 bucks now but i bet it goes even cheaper)

hard to keep up with the games as they are annual

So many games coming out this fall.

Red Dead, AC Odyssey, COD BO4, Battlefield V, Spiderman, fallout 76, The last of us part 2(assuming it comes out this fall)

I feel like this is the golden age of this generation of consoles.

So many games coming out this fall.

Red Dead, AC Odyssey, COD BO4, Battlefield V, Spiderman, fallout 76, The last of us part 2(assuming it comes out this fall)

I feel like this is the golden age of this generation of consoles.

im sure i will buy them all and play them once or not at all

Red Dead Redemption is my fav, game ever.
It's actually the last video game I played from start to finish. Since then, my XBOX 360 has been gathering dust, and I haven't really gotten into any new games.

But man, was that a good game. Great storytelling, fantastic gameplay and the scenery was gorgeous.

I may bite the bullet and get whatever the newest game system is these days so that I can play the sequel.

Gamer rage round two, Fight!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/20/cow...us-disappointment-citing-weak-pre-orders.html

"Battlefield V" is slated to be released on Oct. 19 between the launch dates of Oct. 12 for Activision's "Call of Duty: Black Ops 4" and Oct. 26 for Take-Two's "Red Dead Redemption 2."

The analyst said preorders for "Battlefield V" are tracking more than 85 percent behind "Call of Duty: Black Ops 4," which is substantially worse than previous instances. "Battlefield 3" and "Battlefield 4" titles lagged "Call of Duty" by about 20 percent to 40 percent and "Battlefield 1" actually tracked ahead of "Call of Duty" at this point before launch.

"This is very far off the tracking levels of previous Battlefield titles in 2011, 2013, and 2016," he said. "With a release date directly in between CoD and RDR, we worry that BFV could be headed for a similar fate as 2016's Titanfall 2, which got squeezed out by its launch date directly between Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare."

The analyst said the 13 million to 14 million unit sales, which he estimates is factored into EA's guidance for the title, is not looking achievable.

Gamers-2 EA/Dice -0

Spiderman on PS4 came out. Awesome game. Highly recommend to anyone that wants to sling around NYC. Great story. AND not that time consuming to beat. It is addictive and the sequences are pretty engaging so you might see yourself put in a 3 hour session before you know it.

I think it took me 15ish hours to beat the game.

Very similar to the Batman Arkham series. Mash buttons to execute combos and dodges.

For anyone who likes God of war, the witcher 3, Skyrim and assassins creed black flag and origins, get Odyssey.

This game has to be in the running for game of the year. 50 hours main quest, double that for all the side quests, the map is 260 square KMs, and it looks amazing.

For anyone who likes God of war, the witcher 3, Skyrim and assassins creed black flag and origins, get Odyssey.

This game has to be in the running for game of the year. 50 hours main quest, double that for all the side quests, the map is 260 square KMs, and it looks amazing.

pay to win though
so minus 500 points

mostly mocking ppl

i dont care about it period

how is it though?
Breaking it down

Story, 9/10 More plot twists but they come at a good pace, and even the side quests mostly fit into the narrative of the main quest. There is also a exploration mode, where instead of simply telling you where to go and do your next quest, you need to solve a bunch of clues to figure out where your objective is. A lot of the time you end up at a side quest or two before you find it, so it adds to the length/ challenge of the game. Male or Female main character is actually handled in a good manner, but I wont spoil it more than that.

Fighting 8/10 They simplified a lot of weapons from origins but it plays smoother so that's a healthy tradeoff. That said, I'm about 13 hours into a 50 hour game, so I'm nowhere near peak baddass yet, so that can definitely change. There is a new abilities menu, where you load up a adrenaline bar by successfully landing hits or dodging attacks, which can lead to using one of 4 active abilities to help you in a fight. There are more than 4 available to choose from, probably around 20 for melee combat and 12 for ranged, but only 4 can be active at a time, so ones character will probably always play differently from someone elses.

Environment 10/10 The game looks beautiful, the map is huge, the draw distance is amazing. There is a giant statue of Zeus in the main starting area (you can hang off his junk) that dominates the skyline, and when I was a full province away, I could still see it poking its head over the horizon. At night you can see the lights of cities from over half the map away. They got the beauty of ancient Greece down and every city looks and feels pretty unique. You can definitely tell the difference from being in Athens Korinth Sparta and Skyros for example.

Level capping 7/10 Sucks that there is level capping at all, but still done better than most. In origins for example, I wanted to take a break from the main quest and explore the different cities. Ya, no, that wasn't going to work. Every place I went there were bandits who could one hit kill me before I got a quarter of the way to my objective. In odyssey, while there is level capping, it isn't the wild wild west, you can explore the map without the fear of a enemy 20 levels above you destroying your day with a single arrow. Slight knock though, everyone auto levels with you, so once you pass a place where that was once level 9 or something, you cannot come back as max level 50 as a demigod. Everyone will be level 48.

Fun factor 9/10 It would be a full 10 out of 10, except for those who love to rush through a game. The main quests do not give you enough exp to level up as fast as you make it through the main quests, so side activities are required. I guess for some that equals busywork. That said, the sheer amount of things one can do to gain experience is crazy. There are side quests, there is a conquest mode ever present in every territory, where you do a bunch of subversive activities to weaken the grasp of a factions control over a region until the their enemy feels like they can be attacked. you then get to choose which side to fight for, the invading side getting more bonus gear, money and experience, but a tougher fight, or the defending side which gets you less in the terms of money, experience, and gear, but a easier(it's not every really easy) battle. the battle has some 150 soldiers in it, kind of mass mayhem which will have you probably fighting off up to 5-6 guys at once while you try to focus on a officer to take down. There is hunting down members of a cult, which is part investigative, one part sneaking around, one part killing machine. There are also mercenaries running around the entire world, for every one you take out, it seems like two take their place. With all enemies, instead of outright killing them, you can knock them out, either by sneaking up or punching them with fists once they are weak enough, and recruit them to your crew. There is a ability point which allows them to help you out in a fight, so sometimes if I find a particular enemy hard to fight, or giving me a hard time(aka, killed me 5 times) I will simply take them on my crew and have them fight for me instead of slitting their throat. The recruits also grant bonuses for your characters ship, so they help in that sense as well. You can have up to 16 recruits as well, so that can keep you busy.

The point here being that there is so much to do outside the main missions that it doesn't ever really feel like you're doing something simply for the sake of ranking up, unless of course, you are a speed demon in games and want to finish them as fast as possible, because then yes, level capping it going to act like a speed bump. The 50 hours to finish the game is taking into the account the amount of time is required to reach the appropriate level to move on the next part of the story.

Dialogue/game choices. 9/10 Without spoiling too much, the dialogue choices can be a real pain the butt, because you don't know what the result of what you did it going to be. My wife and I are playing the main story at around the same time so we don't spoil it for each other, and already our games are having different results based on the choices we have made. I killed thousands of people because I refused to kill a helpless few, but I didn't find out about the consequences until 2 hours of story quests later. My wife got a helpless woman tortured for information while she stood around unable to blow her cover because she killed a bunch of guards before talking to that individual, a consequence she only found out about a hour after she did it. It didn't even cross her mind that would be a possibility. The auto save system only really covers the last 20 or so minutes of playing, so she had no way to go back to change her approach, even if she wanted to. As for everything else, every situation has a few different options to take in terms of what you say to someone, some just ranging to being a jerk or being nice, others deciding who lives and who dies. Again, each the wife's game and mine are playing out dramatically different simply because we have been making different choices along the way.

Overall 9.2 out of 10. This is a game set in the AC universe, but it's not a assassins creed game. the linear creed driven basic storyline has been thrown out of the window, this is as free flowing open world game I've come across. The story is solid, the ending I hear is crazy, the combat is easy to master without being easy to do(6 guys against you is going to be a headache compared to being able to multikill 20 in a row back in the black flag days) the setting and atmosphere is great, the amount of things to do is great, the only knock being level capping and the odd bug here and there, which is already being patched out as we speak.

Glad to hear it. I have barely played them since AC2.

I like that I cannot just go to an area and fight the high level guys but I am not a fan of having the low enemies raise up to your level.
How they handle this is the reason I stopped playing Destiny 2.

Back