• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

“Rise of Skywalker” is probably going to end up falling into the same category as the third Hobbit movie for me.

In that I watched the first two parts of the trilogy, but then never bothered watching the finale because of how much I hated the first two movies.

It’s too bad too. I do actually like most of the new actors (with the exception of Darth Emo-Kid), but the writing for the new trilogy is just aggressively terrible.

I suppose it would be a good flick to the simple minded who couldn't give two shits about star wars, lore, and Canon.

Let's face it, that went completely out the window as soon as midichlorians or whatever they're called entered the story

ROS was indeed awful, but no more so than the other two. Out of morbid curiosity, I would love to see what the original story was, since the Emperor thing was obviously hastily thrown together to replace whatever the test audiences hated(ie all of it)

I hated Rey and the entire embarrassing mess they made out of a great childhood memory.

at least Mandalorian is decent. maybe they might make a decent movie out of that.

Lucky for me I somehow never gave two shits about Star Wars as a kid and thought it was trash back then. I do see the new movies when they’re released for free on tv and think they’re shit too and go on with my life.

Star Wars is it's own worst enemy - merchandising that required constant new alien races, ships and locations.. and for some reason they all had to be released as trilogies. Post Empire they also really dumbed the stories down.

It's why Rogue One was so good, and why The Mandalorian is so well-liked. Good story-telling, familiar characters and locations made for adults.

the only bad star wars movies are the prequels and the last jedi. the rest are all thoroughly enjoyable.

Thought it was okay. Parts were pretty stupid, but it was fun like all Star Wars movies. Wasn't really expecting any more than that though.

And looking back at JJ Abrams career, thats usually what he delivers, with the exception of Star Trek maybe.

Too bad people like you miss the entire point of star wars.

A New Hope was great despite the planet size weapon getting destroyed by one fighter blast.

it is actually kinda funny how bad the original 3 movies were

I think I’ve mentioned this here before. I only watched the originals in college in order to watch the prequels. Never had any interest in it as a kid, and hated all of them when I finally saw them.

All the new ones are trash.

they tried to copy a legend, literally in the case of the first one, without understanding what made those movies great.

what made those movies great, in your opinion?

it certainly wasn't airtight plots, or non-cliched story arcs.

baby yoda is pretty boring - started out interesting but plateaued
witcher, his dark materials, watchmen were up and down but mostly up

what made those movies great, in your opinion?

it certainly wasn't airtight plots, or non-cliched story arcs.

for one I felt they had more heart, genuine emotion in them.

Luke was a far more relatable and easy to cheer for hero than Rey, who might as well have been a droid. He had real struggles and real failures, and overcame them like a hero is supposed to. He got his hand chopped off. he couldn't raise the x wing. gave the audience something to care about, something to cheer for.

I just never gave a shit about Rey, or really any of the characters. not only were they mostly unlikeable, the whole thing just felt cold to me. there's a warmth missing from the new films.

It was a major difference when comparing two otherwise similar movies about the rebellion destroying the death star via a tiny weak point. that's for sure.

The original trilogy is remembered with great fondness, but they are not terrific movies from a modern context. But, they were miles ahead of most of the other drivel that was out at the time, especially with science fiction.

Same with the Indiana Jones movies. I recently watched them all, and the ridiculousness of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull fits entirely with the rest of the movies. I understand the nuking the fridge scene was a point of contention, but it is no different than:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Indy riding the exterior of the sub to the island. Oh, did he manage to open the hatch of U-boat and stow away with none of the Germans noticing him? Or did he hold his breath the entire time? Ridiculous.
2. Temple of Doom - Indy and company using the raft as a parachute, riding down the mountain, down the river and over a waterfall.
3. The Last Crusade - the 700 year old knight, the airplane chase, etc.

The lore of the movies is built on religious and mystical elements, throwing aliens into the mix is perfectly fine to fit the lore.

baby yoda is pretty boring - started out interesting but plateaued
witcher, his dark materials, watchmen were up and down but mostly up

I actually thought they were going to resolve the baby yoda thing naturally at the end of the season. was a bit surprised.

Luke was a far more relatable and easy to cheer for hero than Rey, who might as well have been a droid. He had real struggles and real failures, and overcame them like a hero is supposed to. He got his hand chopped off. he couldn't raise the x wing. gave the audience something to care about, something to cheer for.

I just never gave a shit about Rey, or really any of the characters. not only were they mostly unlikeable, the whole thing just felt cold to me. there's a warmth missing from the new films.

It was a major difference when comparing two otherwise similar movies about the rebellion destroying the death star via a tiny weak point. that's for sure.

interesting

i hated Luke in the original movies - but i never watched them as a kid so maybe that is the issue

Same with the Indiana Jones movies. I recently watched them all, and the ridiculousness of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull fits entirely with the rest of the movies. I understand the nuking the fridge scene was a point of contention, but it is no different than:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Indy riding the exterior of the sub to the island. Oh, did he manage to open the hatch of U-boat and stow away with none of the Germans noticing him? Or did he hold his breath the entire time? Ridiculous.
2. Temple of Doom - Indy and company using the raft as a parachute, riding down the mountain, down the river and over a waterfall.
3. The Last Crusade - the 700 year old knight, the airplane chase, etc.

The lore of the movies is built on religious and mystical elements, throwing aliens into the mix is perfectly fine to fit the lore.

Yeah, I just randomly happpened across ToD the other day and completely forgot how ridiculous it was. Patently and obviously ridiculous at that. It's like they spent the first 30 minutes of the movie trying to get progressively more ridiculous.

personally i thought Rey was great, and Po, and the only one that bugged me in these new ones was Finn. i even loved the frustrated insecure Kylo.

that being said, I don't mind your criticism of the movies. even if i think it may just be the difference between watching movies as a kid and as an adult, that's a fair take - way better take than bitching about the logistics of death star remnants or whatever nerdery.

I JUST CANT EXCEPT THAT THERE WOULD STILL BE A FUNCTIONING TIE FIGHTER 40yrs later!!! TOTALLY TOOK ME OUT OF THE REALISM OF THE PIECE!!!

interesting

i hated Luke in the original movies - but i never watched them as a kid so maybe that is the issue

luke was most definitely a pathetic entitled whiner. he'd get savaged as a new character today.

Robot Chicken's take on him getting depressed over losing Obi Wan who he had just met a few days before, and having to get consoled by Princess Leia who JUST LOST HER ENTIRE PLANET was pretty much perfect.

Back