• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

WellPlayed

The Invention of Lying is probably my favourite comedy of the last 20 years.

Some other great post 2000 comedies to go with The Hangover, Tropic Thunder, Superbad...

Idiocracy, Run Fatboy Run, Wedding Crashers, Step Brothers, Anchorman, Taledega Nights, 40 Year Old Virgin, Old School, Zoolander, Napolean Dynomite, Super Troopers
And out of all those, not a single one post-2010.

Comedies are dead.

SundinsTooth

Leafs Moderator
What We Do in the Shadows (2014) was great. Deadpool (2016) easily a comedy classic. The Nice Guys (2016) is better than average.

Slim picking, however there are some ok things out in the last ten years. Bridesmaids was way better than it deserved to be.

WellPlayed

Agreed on all three of those movies actually. Had forgotten about Nice Guys, as it didn't get alot of hype. Deadpool as well - I think in my head I had that categorized as a superhero movie.

But ya, still pretty limited, and maybe only one you would actually consider a classic.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
90s were my golden age for comedy: Early Wes Anderson films, Coen Bros, Something About Mary, Goundhog Day. Can't tell you how many times I've seen all of those.

zeke

Seeing Naked Gun in the theaters and literally rolling on the ground laughing was my best comedy experience.

Only South Park, Team America, and Borat really compare.

JackBurton

Trains Planes and Automobiles starring John Candy and Steve Martin.
Many times adding drama to a comedy does not work (Please see most Adam Sandler films). Planes, Trains&Automobiles is the rare exception that merges the two perfectly. It's damn funny and very touching. I maintain Candy was robbed of at least an Oscar nom for his acting.

Habspatrol

ADMINuteman
Staff member
Seeing Naked Gun in the theaters and literally rolling on the ground laughing was my best comedy experience.

I lived in a small town with one theatre with one screen. If you wanted to go to the movie, you went to see what was playing. My buddy and I took two girls to the movie with no idea what was playing. That night Ace Ventura was playing, this was like opening weekend before it was getting any press... either that or I just wasn't paying any attention to that kind of stuff then. Either way, we had never heard of it and the name and movie poster made it look like a kids movie. We almost left when we saw that's what was playing.

We ended up staying and holy shit! I have never laughed so hard for so long. The entire theatre was laughing from start to finish.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.

I saw Borat at TIFF. SBC was there of course...made a legendary entrance.

The laughs were so deafening, every 3rd joke was inaudible. Then 20 mins in, the projector broke. You could tell Borat was devastated as he and Michael Moore tried to entertain the audience while the theatre was scrambling to fix/replace the projector.

oscarheyman

"TV audience" wasn't ready for the show "Police Squad" (forerunner of Naked Gun movie franchise):

I didn't realize the intro was a parody of sort from a 50s TV show until seeing it on youtube much, much later (starring the great Lee Marvin):

axlsalinger

Saw the first American Pie movie in a packed theatre, probably seemed 30% funnier than it actually was with the whole crowd laughing so much. Probably a similar experience with Dumb and Dumber.

And a big thumbs-up for the early Steve Martin comedies, The Jerk and Planes Trains and Automobiles are brilliant, along with my personal favourite L.A. Story.

leafman101

Right up there with South Park, Team America and Borat, the hardest I can remember laughing in a theater was Hot Rod.