• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Funnier Side of Tragedy: Memes and Such

When we finally end up getting out to the other side of this, in the immediate aftermath society's going to be an odd mix of very shaggy men and short-haired guys with bad haircuts.

When we finally end up getting out to the other side of this, in the immediate aftermath society's going to be an odd mix of very shaggy men and short-haired guys with bad haircuts.

I keep trying to picture the "after" all of this and I'm struggling a little. Less than a year ago I was standing in Nathan Phillips Square packed in so tightly I could barely breathe and I just can't picture wanting to do that now. Will that seem normal after this or creep me out?

I keep trying to picture the "after" all of this and I'm struggling a little. Less than a year ago I was standing in Nathan Phillips Square packed in so tightly I could barely breathe and I just can't picture wanting to do that now. Will that seem normal after this or creep me out?
#masks4all

I wonder about those cocktail parties where little snacks are handed out by roaming waiters... or any buffet setting for that matter.

One of the many nice things about eating in Japan is that even casual restaurants hand you a nice hot towel before you begin your meal. I wondered why they don’t do this here and I was told it was because it would cost the resto about 25c per customer.

Yeah, I honestly can't really picture when exactly, "after" will be, or what it'll look like. But at this point, NOT getting together in big crowds is still what seems abnormal and weird to me. I'm hoping that won't change over the course of this lock-down.

I wonder about those cocktail parties where little snacks are handed out by roaming waiters... or any buffet setting for that matter.

One of the many nice things about eating in Japan is that even casual restaurants hand you a nice hot towel before you begin your meal. I wondered why they don’t do this here and I was told it was because it would cost the resto about 25c per customer.
If we visited the 1980s version of Japan today we'd think we entered a time machine that's about 100 years in the future. They're so far ahead in almost all areas it isn't even funny. And they've been ahead for decades. We just haven't even tried to catch up.

I say "almost" all areas because they're pretty ass backwards and archaic when it comes to a lot of their social norms. But their level of practicality and efficiency is mindblowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
We've been going to crowded bars, restaurants, sporting events & concerts all our lives, with very few issues. This virus is obviously creating a "new normal" but I do hope life will return to some sense of normalcy sometime soon.

Certainly with a vaccine, it really shouldn't be an issue. Going to be tough to figure out exactly what to do before that. We probably could manage it with massive testing, contract tracing and mitigation along with an effective treatment medication.

Society will never be quite the same, though. Obsessive hand-washing, temperature checks at airports, major shrinking of the cruise ship industry, a lot more working-from-home, and undecided voters who still aren't quite sure whether Trump is qualified to be president seem to be locks.

We've been going to crowded bars, restaurants, sporting events & concerts all our lives, with very few issues. This virus is obviously creating a "new normal" but I do hope life will return to some sense of normalcy sometime soon.

Certainly with a vaccine, it really shouldn't be an issue. Going to be tough to figure out exactly what to do before that. We probably could manage it with massive testing, contract tracing and mitigation along with an effective treatment medication.

Society will never be quite the same, though. Obsessive hand-washing, temperature checks at airports, major shrinking of the cruise ship industry, a lot more working-from-home, and undecided voters who still aren't quite sure whether Trump is qualified to be president seem to be locks.

lhxO8Sg.gif

All of those are essential.

When aliens find the remains of our civilization in a couple dozen years, I really hope they find all of those.

Yeah, I feel like you don't want to take away anything that people take to help with anxiety and/or pain and you also don't want to take anything that will cause huge withdrawal symptoms.

Back