• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

I actually am very much digging this new COVID NBA set-up. Hasn't taken away much from the viewing experience or at least as much as I expected.

I actually am very much digging this new COVID NBA set-up. Hasn't taken away much from the viewing experience or at least as much as I expected.

I watched the first scrimmage and the lighting and empty seats made it look like a HS game. I hope the production value gets better when the games matter.

Yeah I find basketball is more atmosphere-dependent than hockey, for example. It'll still be intense as fuck and really cool to watch, but that's the one sport that may suffer a bit. May.

I dunno, maybe as a fair-weather fan it may ruin the viewing experience a bit but I think hardcore fans who appreciate the game will like this format. The cool courtside cameras they are using are also pretty fascinating.

I dunno, maybe as a fair-weather fan it may ruin the viewing experience a bit but I think hardcore fans who appreciate the game will like this format. The cool courtside cameras they are using are also pretty fascinating.
Yeah I'm mostly speaking towards the fair-weather types. For me I think it'll be great, especially once we get into the playoff series. If nothing else, just for the newness of it. It's exciting.

an interesting consideration that I am just now thinking of...

in the NBA, beyond crowd noise, what exactly is 'home court advantage'. and in the absence of crowd noise, will this matter in the playoffs? or is the theory that they're just going to fake the crowd noise in favour of the 'home' team each game?

in the NBA, beyond crowd noise, what exactly is 'home court advantage'. and in the absence of crowd noise, will this matter in the playoffs? or is the theory that they're just going to fake the crowd noise in favour of the 'home' team each game?

an old study showed that home team benefits slightly from referee calls -- humans are not wired to do things that get them booed/hated

an old study showed that home team benefits slightly from referee calls -- humans are not wired to do things that get them booed/hated
heh, if this is no longer the case could be big advantage Raps. feel like we get consistently hosed by the refs more than most. maybe that's just my Toronto fan complex.

There is also something to be said of shooting on the same net (every court has its nuances with different depth perception and net background) and being able to sleep in your own bed and have your own home routine. The opposing team having to travel is also an advantage.

Whats weird is that the NBA has a bigger home advantage than the other sports, despite no clear rules advantage.

Back