• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

I think I read this latest one was voted down 33-5 or something.

Yeah, the players rejected the MLB's offer, but according to their previous decision, MLB can just impose a basic season. As Trevor Bauer put it
So we gave up shares of playoff money, eliminating the qualifying offer for 2021, paycheck advance forgiveness, Covid 19 protections, and protection for non guaranteed arb contracts for next year in order to hold on to our right to file a grievance...

Anyway, I don't think there will be a season, so I see this as sort of laying the groundwork for 2021. Likely to still have to play in empty parks, and in that case it makes sense to have hub cities, lots of inter-league, no DH, etc. They'll need a new financial structure of course.

I wonder if they'll keep up the tradition of 3-4 game series if there aren't really any travel concerns. Could just play a different team each day.

Doesn't sound like a very good deal when you lay it out like that.
Anyway, I don't think there will be a season, so I see this as sort of laying the groundwork for 2021. Likely to still have to play in empty parks, and in that case it makes sense to have hub cities, lots of inter-league, no DH, etc. They'll need a new financial structure of course.

I wonder if they'll keep up the tradition of 3-4 game series if there aren't really any travel concerns. Could just play a different team each day.

Yeah, Bauer seems to have been the first guy to speak up. He also (rightly) pointed out that all of this is basically fighting for no reason, while the big fight is in 2 years when the CBA expires and they need a full-time agreement.

I'm still torn on whether I think there will be a season or not. Part of me feels that things are still way too volatile in the US, but another part of me knows that this multi-billion dollar industry will do everything they can to push things through, health and safety be damned. But yeah, 2021 is certainly a very interesting take too. There's no way they're going to be able to run a full regular season with full ballparks by next year barring a miracle, so how they end up adjusting is crucial. And the minors leagues are a whole nother matter too - pro teams are all millionaires so can take private jets around. But a minor league squad hopping onto the team bus and grabbing a midnight McDs you're bound to get flare-ups and outbreaks that will wreck havoc on them. And they don't have billion dollar TV deals to help them out.

Yeah, Bauer seems to have been the first guy to speak up. He also (rightly) pointed out that all of this is basically fighting for no reason, while the big fight is in 2 years when the CBA expires and they need a full-time agreement.

I'm still torn on whether I think there will be a season or not. Part of me feels that things are still way too volatile in the US, but another part of me knows that this multi-billion dollar industry will do everything they can to push things through, health and safety be damned. But yeah, 2021 is certainly a very interesting take too. There's no way they're going to be able to run a full regular season with full ballparks by next year barring a miracle, so how they end up adjusting is crucial. And the minors leagues are a whole nother matter too - pro teams are all millionaires so can take private jets around. But a minor league squad hopping onto the team bus and grabbing a midnight McDs you're bound to get flare-ups and outbreaks that will wreck havoc on them. And they don't have billion dollar TV deals to help them out.
I think if they were isolating in states or provinces with very few cases, it would be possible. But instead they packed ball players into a couple of states where the pandemic is worse than ever without any kind of quarantine practices in place. Even with every team moving back to their home park for [summer] training you'll still have quite a few teams in hot-spots that are going to be contracting the virus. I just don't see how a season can happen under those conditions.

It's a good point about the minor leagues. They've lost a full year of development already. Minor league teams are not going to play in front of empty ballparks on their own, so either you have some kind of situation where MLB teams pay for milb teams to keep playing, or MLB teams decide to institute something like a 40-90 man taxi squad/extended spring training type of program.

MLB aren’t even planning to do the whole “hub” city thing at this point, right? They’re just going to have teams playing out of their own stadiums?

Don’t know how in the hell anyone thinks that’ll work.

MLB aren’t even planning to do the whole “hub” city thing at this point, right? They’re just going to have teams playing out of their own stadiums?

Don’t know how in the hell anyone thinks that’ll work.
I think they were considering it, but when the situation got so much worse in Florida and Arizona where all the players were, they sent everyone back to their home city. Seems absurd to have teams travelling all over the continent if there aren't going to be any fans. It's hard to know how seriously to take any of these plans right now. Have to think they'll at least consider hub cities in 2021.

Back