• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT - To Catch A Thief

LeafOfFaith

Well, not really a thief, but a fucking criminal.

Around ten days ago, I was leaving the grocery store and going back to my car when I noticed that some asshole had keyed the rear left quarterpanel (lots of scratches going around in a circle or back and forth motion) as well as the front left of the car (same thing basically). I cursed the soul of whoever did it, but I assumed it was some punk who decided to do some damage on a whim while walking by the car.

Now today, I'm seeing on the front right of the car, someone took keys or a knife and just took a slice out of the paint.

Naturally I can't say where either actually took place because I didn't witness it, but my strong belief is that it's someone at home in the building, whether another resident or some guest of a resident who has access to the garage.

I have one suspect in mind - this one asshole who lives under my unit who just a few weeks after moving in decided to leave all sorts of nasty notes on my door one night because I had a few people over for dinner and apparently the guy went nuts over the sounds of their footsteps. I chewed him out for it when I saw him, and since then, whenever we awkwardly run into each other, he very politely says "hi, how're you doing?", to which I always answer curtly "fine, thanks" or just "hi", and then his response is always this dickish reply to the effect of "oh, I'm doing well too, thanks". As though I need to forget about the shit that happened that night and now be buddies with him. We were passing each other going into and out of the elevator a couple of weeks ago when he did this again, and he caught me on a bad day, so as I passed him, I finally said "nobody asked" to his usual retort, and he got a bit flustered looking to get the last word in as I walked away and said something like "thanks, appreciate it, good talk." The first scratches came very soon after this encounter.

And I'm no detective, but I highly doubt I got the same vandalism from two separate vandals on two separate occasions. I feel it has to be someone who frequents the garage of my building, and who else but this guy? But I have zero proof, of course. It could be some other random person in the building who just like to fuck shit up (there are less than 20 units here, so it's not like there's an unlimited number of suspects). The garage has no cameras, unfortunately. So after posting this, I'm going to go research if there's any sort of spy-tech type shit that I can install in my car that would record movements that occur very close to the car. Doubt I'll find something like that, but it's all I've got.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just get a camera or two. Put one in the back of the car and one in the front. They make them with mini sd card s for data storage as well as motion activated.

Seems like the cameras I'm seeing are meant to be plugged into the USB or just to be used for a night and then need recharging.

I need one that has long battery life and can inconspicuously be in the car recording everything that moves nearby.

Anyone used anything like this before, maybe as a nanny cam or something?

Ask Preston, he seems like the type to have cameras hidden everywhere.

:oops:

Ok I think Mr. Robot is fucking with me.

Is there a tree or a pole or something outside of the car that you could put a trail cam? They run on batteries, have motion sensors and infrared for night filming. Under a hundred bucks and they work pretty well. You need somewhere to hide it though.

The garage is indoors. Not sure if there is a place to plug something in and that would allow for the proper view.

But do you know of one that's good? Motion activated and doesn't flash or anything to let the person know they're being recorded?

Apparently the ones I'm looking at that run on batteries have only around 30 hours of life.

Sorry, are you not a lawyer? You must know some private eyes.. I've seen it in the movies.

I have some family over to my place for dinner one night - no music, no tv, nothing but occasional footsteps and at best the dull sound of voices (doubt it), and each time I left my place to throw trash out, I'd see a note posted to the outside of my door from this guy. First, it was to report that it was extremely noisy and it sounded like we were moving furniture (sure, when someone moves a chair to sit or get up, I suppose it makes some noise). Then the next time I opened the door, I see another note yelling in CAPS about all the noise. Then later a third note with some profanity in it coming from a guy who just moved into a building to a guy he's never met and who was one of the original residents. So once everyone left, I went downstairs and told him he was out of line leaving nasty notes on the door, and that he should consider himself lucky that I'm almost always at the office and he basically lives here without a sound coming from above him at any time.

From there, he starts trying to buddy up when we randomly pass each other in the building and gives me those snarky comments each time because clearly I'm not interested in speaking to the guy, and I'm somehow the one in the wrong, and the guy is justified to cause thousands of dollars of property damage now?

Hopefully you're just trying to be funny for the crowd, and not actually being serious.

I don’t miss multitenant buildings. Not one bit. When I finally moved out of my last one in my late twenties I swore I’d never go back.

Back