• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: What are you Watching/Listening/Drinking?

i actually find it inconvenient to go out for coffee. lineups take longer than my brew time

what puzzles me most is people leaving their house on a Saturday morning and walking a few blocks to a Starbucks to get takeout coffee they bring back home

I just looked on amazon

- Coffee mill: 26 bucks (52 bucks for the cheapest electric burr grinder)
- Amazon basic coffee maker: 26 bucks
- 1Kg of Lavazza: 17 bucks (if you're a costco person you can often snag a kilo for 13 bucks)

A kilo will get you about 50 cups (large cups, coffee on the strong side). 34 cents a cup. 2.45 for the equivalent size at Starbucks. It would take you about 25 cups to recoup the cost of the kit you bought, so 3 weeks or so for most normal coffee drinkers.

I get it now. I’m paying about $40 per kilo for my beans.

Figured you had an in with Ethiopians

Now in fairness... My per coffee cost isn't exactly much cheaper than a cup at Tim Hortons (it might even cost more). But I'm a hipster coffee faggot that buys expensive beans from local roasters. The cheap Lavazza grounds are more than fine for most people and definitely better than Tim Hortons coffee.

I get it now. I’m paying about $40 per kilo for my beans.

Figured you had an in with Ethiopians

Southern Mexico (Chiapas specifically) has awesome coffee that I get for reasonable prices when I'm down there....no in with the Ethiopians though, sorry.

I take my coffee strong as fuck (but only have one a day). I think I calculated it once and it was just over $1 for my v60 brews. I don't know how much it costs at Tim Hortons but if it's over $1 that's more ridiculous than I thought.

Now in fairness... My per coffee cost isn't exactly much cheaper than a cup at Tim Hortons (it might even cost more). But I'm a hipster coffee faggot that buys expensive beans from local roasters. The cheap Lavazza grounds are more than fine for most people and definitely better than Tim Hortons coffee.

I used to fuck with the Costa Rican Fair Trade Organic from the specialty roaster places for 20 bucks a pound too. I tried it up against bulk bean though a couple of years ago (I think it was the Ethical brand stuff) and it was noticeably better if you're drinking it black. Add a bit of 18% though and a touch of honey or raw sugar though and the difference becomes way less noticeable very quickly. The difference between that bulk coffee and something like Lavazza or Kirklands is pretty fucking negligible as well. So 13 bucks a kilo is 13 bucks a kilo.

I find a way, way bigger difference between grinding your own from properly stored whole bean (with the oils still intact) and pre ground coffee than I do between high end beans and bulk beans.

I figure my AeroPress brews cost about 75c each

Yeah, I figured you for an aeropress guy.

I used to do the aeropress (still have it somewhere) but I do 2 cups in the morning and really couldn't be bothered doing the 2nd round of work after a while.

Oh ch1 is a hipster coffee faggot too. Of course he is. Welcome to the club sir.

We’re not taking about rice here. coffee is important.

it gets worse for me though... I pre-ordered/funded these fuckers for my dream machine years ago...
basically nespresso but with your own faggot elite beans...still waiting...

i did pay less than half the current price

I used to **** with the Costa Rican Fair Trade Organic from the specialty roaster places for 20 bucks a pound too. I tried it up against bulk bean though a couple of years ago (I think it was the Ethical brand stuff) and it was noticeably better if you're drinking it black. Add a bit of 18% though and a touch of honey or raw sugar though and the difference becomes way less noticeable very quickly. The difference between that bulk coffee and something like Lavazza or Kirklands is pretty fucking negligible as well. So 13 bucks a kilo is 13 bucks a kilo.
Yeah I don't like adding anything to my coffees and especially not sugar.

I have to add a pound of sugar to make anything other than freshly roasted beans taste tolerable. I did it with Lavazza for many years until my stomach straight up couldn't accept the beans or the sugar. So then I bought several different grocery store beans/grounds and it just didn't work out.

Went to a local roaster and never looked back. I finally realized that coffee isn't actually supposed to taste like ash. It's one of the few things I actually spend money on so whatever. Worth it for me.

Yeah, I figured you for an aeropress guy.

I used to do the aeropress (still have it somewhere) but I do 2 cups in the morning and really couldn't be bothered doing the 2nd round of work after a while.

I shelved mine as well. Using old school Italian stove top until my “kickstarter” machine arrives.

I shelved mine as well. Using old school Italian stove top until my “kickstarter” machine arrives.

Yeah those are pretty great as well. I've got one of those buried in a box of spare kitchen gear somewhere as well.

We’re not taking about rice here. coffee is important.

it gets worse for me though... I pre-ordered/funded these fuckers for my dream machine years ago...
basically nespresso but with your own faggot elite beans...still waiting...

i did pay less than half the current price

Rice and coffee are equally important for me. Essential staples.

But uhhh fuck that hurts.

I take my coffee black. A good bean, recently roasted, and freshly ground should not be bitter.

if you’re going to add sugar and cream because you prefer it that way, paying up for beans is probably a waste. The nuanced flavour from the single origin stuff gets lost in the mix

I'm a total rube when it comes to coffee. McCafe K-cups. I have 2 a day. The first in the morning with sugar free french vanilla creamer. The second black.

Back