• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: What are you Watching/Listening/Drinking?

Dominos in the US improved their game a decade ago but I believe the Canadian side never got the memo.

As for why crappy chains exist, think of the tyranny of low expectations. When a corporate office wants to “treat” their employees to a pizza party, they are going with a shit chain. Hell, even when a bunch of guys get together to watch the game, there’s always some fucker who insists on pizza pizza because it’s cheap and fast.

TLDR; whenever I’m in a scene involving multiple pizzas, it’s always crap

They don't have a lot of locations but my go to for pizza delivery back when I used to do that was always Mamma's. I wonder if it still holds up.

I think Mamas is like any other low cost chain. Every year they try to shave a few pennies a slice by buying shittier cheese, pep, etc

pizza is like the rest of our society — the middle class gets hollowed out and we’re stuck with either low cost crap, or pricey artisanal joints

I recently lived across the street from a Mamas — even at my most drunken hours, their pizza was shite, but I remember it as decent to pretty good 15 yrs ago.

Im honestly not sure how pizza chains exist? Everybody has a local spot or two that does it better than pizza pizza, dominos etc.

Pizza hut at least had the "pan pizza" and little ceasars has the crazy bread but the rest are just terrible
Here in the states they're a main staple for the underprivileged. There are chains like Jets Pizza and Cicis Pizza where you can feed a family of four for under $10. Yes the pizza is no better than frozen pizza.

good to know; not that it’s on my list of restaurants to try the next time I visit the US
I almost had domino's in Japan as a novelty. They had fucking tuna pizza. In the end I couldn't bring myself to waste a meal like that.

I almost had domino's in Japan as a novelty. They had fucking tuna pizza. In the end I couldn't bring myself to waste a meal like that.

Haha. I wasted a mid afternoon snack on McD’s. They had an all black burger (including squid ink bun) for Halloween (which is a relatively new celebration in Japan). Was interesting for 3 bites and then I tossed it away and cleansed my palate with a few hits of nigiri.

I miss having relatively inexpensive sushi on tap

Haha. I wasted a mid afternoon snack on McD’s. They had an all black burger (including squid ink bun) for Halloween (which is a relatively new celebration in Japan). Was interesting for 3 bites and then I tossed it away and cleansed my palate with a few hits of nigiri.

I miss having relatively inexpensive sushi on tap
Oh yeah I was there for Halloween one year. Made the mistake of going to Shibuya during a downpour. Chaotic mess. But yup they all of a sudden love their Halloween. If you think about it, the holiday is basically made for them and their personalities.

I had Mos Burger a couple times to get my western palate satisfied after a month of eating Japanese cuisine. Not bad. I regret not doing McDonald's actually. Some of their items seem interesting even if trash.

Never went to Mos but went to a chain called Freshness Burger — it was quite good.

my default Japanese food breaks were

pizza — it was always good
French pastries/croissants/ — amazing and surprisingly everywhere.

Never went to Mos but went to a chain called Freshness Burger — it was quite good.

my default Japanese food breaks were

pizza — it was always good
French pastries/croissants/ — amazing and surprisingly everywhere.
Ah I had freshness burger too. Both chains were decent enough.

I only had pizza in one place in Tokyo and it was arguably the best neapolitan I've had. Ever. And yup the pastries there are terrific. That was my go-to as well along with the infamous egg salad sandwich at Lawsons. Or onigiri or really anything at Lawsons or 7-eleven. All convenient cheap shit.

Had an Italy trip lined up for this year but fuck me japan as my first post pandemic trip feels tempting.

Air Canada has some hilarious deals to Japan right now for 2021. Catch is the flight is likely canceled and you probably won't see that money ever again. But prices will skyrocket as soon as we're close to ending this thing. A risk (not) worth taking.

Back