• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: What are you Watching/Listening/Drinking?

Story from Massimo's from back in the 80s. Cycling along college heading east, moving to turn left up Major. Car comes along and nudges me into the streetcar tracks. Riding with slicks and the front tire got caught and threw me a good ten feet. All I could remember was the crowd on the Massimo patio ooh, as I flew, and, OUCH, as I landed.

Tbh the best current slice is from North of Brooklyn pizzeria.

They have a few locations including inside two good bars - Get Well and The Greater Good.

NOB is by far my fave go to slice. The Palmerston/queen location is a 10 min walk from me but no slices since COVID. Used to hit a few times per month.

Tbh the best current slice is from North of Brooklyn pizzeria.

They have a few locations including inside two good bars - Get Well and The Greater Good.
Hmm, one not far off my daily commute on Geary. Seems like an odd spot for a pizzeria. Haven't been down there in a while, but used to be a very gritty, industrial area.

Hmm, one not far off my daily commute on Geary. Seems like an odd spot for a pizzeria. Haven't been down there in a while, but used to be a very gritty, industrial area.

best fresh pasta in the country is on Geary — Famiglia Baldassarre. Not really an eat in kind of place. While you’re there, buy a box of frozen ravioli to take home.

Yeah its inside The Greater Good on Geary - also a fantastic selection of local craft beer on tap.

Geary has a bunch of very cool new places now. Including Blood Brothers brewery.

I guess I don't venture off my beaten path all that often. Geary was a real shithole last time I was there (could easily be a decade even though I pass by only a few blocks east every day). I'll have to check it out.

I was there a year ago (Famiglia Baldassare) and there was literally nothing around there besides a coffee shop and a bar. But with new condos not too far away, it'll keep growing I suppose.

Yeah there's gotta be at least 3-4 pretty slick venues there now, though the street definitely retains its gritty....charm.

Ironically, a guy like Baldassarre set up shop there because it was dirt cheap. He supplies some of the finer restaurants (ie Buca) with fresh pasta so location meant nothing. He started serving lunch secretly (sans permit) because it gave him extra money while he was mixing his dough. Now it’s legit.

Vesuvio’s?

junction family run joint. Excellent. But COVID shuttered it permanently

Just found out that the following classic but rather short-lived TV series (which has been resurrected by Denzel Washington) - The Equalizer was originally supposed to be a vehicle for George Lazenby but "studio higher ups" wanted somebody else (Edward Woodward did an admirable job in that role). Would've been interesting on how the series would've been different under Lazenby (heh, probably more action oriented). Wonder if they would've made indirect references to his former life as "J. Bond" or just go with the 'former government agent' thing.

If you've ever wondered what Santa does in his off-time....

I really don't know why this is cracking me up so much.

Time for me to flyyyyyy .... My sled

Back