• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT:World Politics

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
It wasn't a theory. I provided peer reviewed science on how the seasonal flu speads on an airplane and suggested that based on what we were told about the virus at the time, there was a high likelihood that multiple people on the plane were going to end up infected. It was a sound argument then and it's sound now. If it turns out to be inaccurate, beautiful. I'm not rooting for the virus here numbnuts.

Altair

It wasn't a theory. I provided peer reviewed science on how the seasonal flu speads on an airplane and suggested that based on what we were told about the virus at the time, there was a high likelihood that multiple people on the plane were going to end up infected. It was a sound argument then and it's sound now. If it turns out to be inaccurate, beautiful. I'm not rooting for the virus here numbnuts.
You had me up until you said it is sound now.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
You had me up until you said it is sound now.
Quoting peer-reviewed information on how a flu spreads in a flying tube, is a sound argument. Ending up fortunate that this didn't turn out to be the case in this specific instance, doesn't take away from the underlying argument.

Altair

Quoting peer-reviewed information on how a flu spreads in a flying tube, is a sound argument. Ending up fortunate that this didn't turn out to be the case in this specific instance, doesn't take away from the underlying argument.
Except every virus spreads differently and you were just assuming that it was as similarly as the flu.

Or just trust the health authorities who have been spot on thus far and not managing the message as you said.

Altair

A screenshot purportedly showing the real death toll of the coronavirus in China — putting it over 80 times higher than the official number — has gone viral.

However, such screenshots, taken from the social media site QQ, are easily fakeable by anyone using a standard web browser. And, a public health official says, such high numbers at this point are likely a hoax.
One would think smart people like @MindzEye could spot fake news but I guess this a perfect example of seeing what you want to see, regardless of the source.

This is really fun btw. Zeke has bad takes all the time, but its really fun to rag on mindz for being hilariously wrong.

Altair

I find it funny that instead of pointing out what I have been wrong about(challenging, I know) people I here resort to ad hominem attacks instead.

If ad hominem attacks are all people can use against me when discussing this, that only reinforces just how right I am.

😘

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
Yep. sounds like the common flu to me:

Apple is extending its retail store closures in China to Feb. 15 as the coronavirus continues to spread.

Apple last week said it would close all 42 stores in China until Feb. 10.

hockeylover

I'm not sure the numbers/official statements on the virus really match up with the Chinese government's reaction. Massive multiple hospitals being built in less than 2 weeks, 40 million+ quarantined, other countries evacuating their citizens.

This isn't how you react to "not much more dangerous than your standard flu".

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
...and China blocks the re-start of Foxconn plants. Totally normal for a government to give thousands of employees mandatory sick days.

Altair

I'm not sure the numbers/official statements on the virus really match up with the Chinese government's reaction. Massive multiple hospitals being built in less than 2 weeks, 40 million+ quarantined, other countries evacuating their citizens.

This isn't how you react to "not much more dangerous than your standard flu".
They need to react in such a way or else the global community will lock them out.

That happens, Chinese GDP goes in a free fall.

A communist dictatorship which has been able to ward off any serious discontent with promises of rising living standards and economic growth cannot afford the economy to falter, which means showing the world they are making every effort to contain this, even if it isn't much more deadly than the common flu.