• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: World Politics

has it "community spread" yet ?

in canada i mean

Yes. A guy from Sudbury got it and only travelled to Toronto.

There's another patient in BC with no travel history, I believe.

Then a few from US - Hawaii, Las Vegas, Washington DC and Colorado.

The Las Vegas dude rode the TTC for a few days a week ago. We’ll see if he’s a super spreader soon

Numbers in Canada still seem to be quite low. They will go up (probably a lot) but let's all hope we can keep it from growing exponentially. And take a moment to be thankful we live in this country.

OTTAWA -- The threat of foreign interference in Canada is real and more action is needed to counter what is a "significant and sustained" effort to meddle from China, Russia, and other state actors, according to the latest report from a top-secret Parliamentary committee.

The top-secret National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians (NSICOP) has found that the federal government has been slow to react to the threat of foreign interference and is now calling for a cross-government strategy, in its annual report for 2019.

"The government must do better," reads the 180-page report. "The threat is real, if often hidden. If it is not addressed in a comprehensive, whole-of-government approach, foreign interference will slowly erode the foundations of our fundamental institutions, including our system of democracy itself."

-----

Explicitly, the report calls out China and Russia for trying to meddle in Canadian affairs and institutions. While those two nations are named, they are placed within an otherwise redacted list of states. Committee officials acknowledged that these two were put on record given the extent of existing public knowledge of their efforts.

"Some foreign states conduct sophisticated and pervasive foreign interference activities against Canada," the report finds. "Those activities pose a significant risk to national security."

Back