• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Positives to come from COVID-19

Aberdeen

I feel like I could use a pick-me-up. Well some of these are debatable, what are some positives that come from this pandemic?

I'll start:

(1) Death knell for Trump?
(2) Improved treatments for common cold and flu as a side effect of mass research.
(3) Better global sanitation practices.
(4) Forcing a cold, hard look on the future of the economy (UBI etc)
(5) At least a temporary positive environmental impact.
(6) Shift in workplace to more flexible hours and remote offices.
(7) Thankfulness for friends and family.

Flexible work arrangements forever. This has been a forced trial run with work-from-home initiatives and for my company, in particular, we have deemed it a successful experiment. I wouldn't mind popping in the office once in awhile, but the flexibility is what makes it for me.

Plus I've been able to trade in the day and get the majority of my work done at night. Taking advantage of the historic opportunity in March was life changing. The pandemic is nothing but short-term pain.

Flexible work arrangements forever. This has been a forced trial run with work-from-home initiatives and for my company, in particular, we have deemed it a successful experiment. I wouldn't mind popping in the office once in awhile, but the flexibility is what makes it for me.

Plus I've been able to trade in the day and get the majority of my work done at night. Taking advantage of the historic opportunity in March was life changing. The pandemic is nothing but short-term pain.
Working from home will really help alleviate some traffic too. It's a joke in Toronto. And there are so many office workers on the road working 9-5 daily that don't even need to go to the opffice.

Working from home will really help alleviate some traffic too. It's a joke in Toronto. And there are so many office workers on the road working 9-5 daily that don't even need to go to the opffice.
Yup. This is the end of a 5 day a week 9-5 office job for me. I'm never going back to it. There's just no valid reason to. I doubt I'm alone on that.

Yup. This is the end of a 5 day a week 9-5 office job for me. I'm never going back to it. There's just no valid reason to. I doubt I'm alone on that.
It's such a waste of time and $ as well for people. An extra 2-3 hours where you can do nothing but sit in traffic daily. This should have been done years ago with our technology.

Companies wanting office workers in the office 5 days a week now will have a very hard time finding peopel.

my biggest pluses

renewed focus on social justice (as distractions like sports/entertainment/barhopping were put on hold)
speeding up of cannabis legalization/normalization

I'm the type of guy that lies in bed at night worrying about climate change.

I hope we find a way to transition this global focus on medical research to energy research.

The end of the handshake. It's such a horrific habit we've gotten into that's so outdated. And we've brainwashed ourselves to think it's "rude" not to shake smeone's hand. How about saying "Hi" and smile.

I agree that WFH is here to stay but I think offices will make a comeback in certain industries.

Innovation/Creativity does better face to face, IMO. But, yeah, why should an insurance company occupy expensive offices?

Going to the office is fine. I think the problem is do it 2 times a week. So many days people are there for no reason.
I find as well I work more hours at home. I don't have to close anything up to beat traffc.

Also, big one for me personally, when the Leafs bring home the Cup in 2 months, it'll be much easier for me to cope without a parade streaming by my condo.

Yeah I will want to go into the office at least once a week, maybe more depending on the circumstances. It's more about flexibility for me. I don't think a 100% WFH format is particularly ideal long-term for most industries.

Yeah, 5 days a week is not good at home. But same with 5 days at an office. Just one day at home, say on a Wednesday does give you extra options and a spark.

Yeah, 5 days a week is not good at home. But same with 5 days at an office. Just one day at home, say on a Wednesday does give you extra options and a spark.
Yup. And a "come in whenever you want and leave whenever you want" kind of deal is for the best. Just get your work done and do it well. It'll be more than obvious if you're not.

I was already veering to that pre-pandemic as my company was in the process of moving offices which will increase my commute time significantly. So I got them to cover my 407 bill and agree to letting me come in or stay home whenever I want. I'm sure I can push it even further after this successful experiment.

Yup. And a "come in whenever you want and leave whenever you want" kind of deal is for the best. Just get your work done and do it well. It'll be more than obvious if you're not.

So Netflix has been doing that for a decade. You don't need to ask for sick days or vacay. Just get your work done according to pre-agreed metrics.

Sounds great. I would love it. But the amount of workers who get fired at Netflix is way above average.

So Netflix has been doing that for a decade. You don't need to ask for sick days or vacay. Just get your work done according to pre-agreed metrics.

Sounds great. I would love it. But the amount of workers who get fired at Netflix is way above average.
If you don't meet your metrics, getting fired is fair game. Perhaps their metrics are a bit more strict/demanding than other companies, but that sounds fair game to me. Those that take advantage of these sort of arrangements don't really deserve to have them and maybe they just aren't a fit for the company.

Back